Posted October 08, 2012
I understand the concerns that are being stated in the review section for Elgin Middle School, BUT if the concerns are so highly disturbed, how come it's not being addressed to the proper qualified school officials, instead of behind a PC? However, I understand the concerns, and I took it upon myself to address the issues. Moral of the story is, not too many people are outspoken, but when it comes to our children we should take it upon ourselves to make sure their getting the adequate education, and not behind. One person says that parents are not involved? Not true. I must say that theyr'e are not enough parents that are involved, however, maybe the child is succeeding because he/she needs the proper education. Anyone can pass 8th grade on a 5th grades education. Right? So, speak up! We love our children, and want college to be fun to learn and become successful! May God bless you all....

Posted June 26, 2011
I enjoyed sending my son to Elgin Middle School. The teachers and administration are delightful. There were always enough books, computers and other supplies for the students. Parents need to GET INVOLVED! Most the parents do not get involved, maybe it's because in the part of town zoned for this school they don't speak English? Anyway, I think Elgin Middle School is great!

Posted October 19, 2010
I think Elgin Middle School is a great school. The problem is the parents in the area. They expect the school to raise their children. There is so little parent involvement that many of the children do not reach their potential. The teachers can only do so much. Once the child is home there is no way a teacher can control whether homework is being completed or if a student is studying or not. These parents need to quit making excuses for their shortcomings! My child learned a great deal at Elgin Middle School and did very well on the TAKS tests. He is now at Elgin High School doing very well in all of his Pre-Ap classes.

Elgin Middle School 3

Posted August 01, 2010
This school has many teachers and other staff who care and are doing their best. It is small enough to get to know students and families. It has some truly great teachers and has made some significant improvements in recent years. That said, it has all the problems associated with poverty, non-stable populations, and the unreasonable crushing pressure of federal NCLB requirements. High turnover at the leadership level doesn't help. If your child goes to this school and you wish it was better, join the PTSA, meet with teachers, visit classrooms, go to school board meetings, volunteer, mentor some kids, etc. Schools get plenty of criticism, what they need more of is support.

Posted April 06, 2010

Elgin Middle School 3

Posted September 11, 2009
I just moved to elgin and have a 6th grader in elgin middle school the one thing that bothers me and him is that there are no textbooks for the students to take home to review or study

Posted March 23, 2009

Posted August 26, 2008
I sincerely hope that things can turn around at Elgin Middle School. I have lived in this community for many years but elected to educate my child privately, sending him to EMS 7th-8th grade. While I don't believe that was a mistake necessarily, I can see how it would for a child who does not have a strong educational background. We saw things get better but there is an incredibly long way to go. Discipline is a huge problem, textbooks are not plentiful enough for kids to bring home a copy to study, no lockers. The new(est) principal was a great VP-let's hope he turns things around! Some great teachers, but I cannot recommend at this time.

Posted June 24, 2008
Whoever said this school was a good school is in dreamland. Teachers do not control the kids, the content of the course work is so behind other schools, that its SCARY. My kid made all A's and B's while attending, but when I started looking at what he was studying, it seemed as if his eighth grade math was at a third grade level!! Since all the money goes to athletics, you would think the coaching quality would be better then it is! Wrong. And Never any homework, Why? Cause they don't allow kids to take home the books!!!!

Posted January 30, 2007
I must admit that when I moved here I was very excited about the school. It seemed to be a wonderful small school. I was immediately disappointed. I feel that this school is far behind other schools and there seems to be no structure. Kids are running wild and basically doing as they please. My daughter's grades have gone down and I'm afraid that once we move her to a more adequate school she will be so far behind. There is no textbooks for the kids to take home and no homework at all. I do have to say that so far there are some teachers who seem to be trying very hard and want to assist in anyway possible. But at the rate this school is going I feel that the school will not be able to retain these good teachers. I cannot recommend this school at this time.

Elgin Middle School
1351 North Avenue C, Elgin, TX  78621
Last modified Elgin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elgin Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top