Lowery Road Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 650 students

Posted October 21, 2013

My son attended this school in their PPCD program last year. I absolutely LOVE his teacher & her aid but the rest of the school I could do without. I pulled my son after a terrible ARD in which the vice principal pretty much let me know that my child was a low priority. At the end of the school year, my son had just turned 4. His reading level was assessed at third grade & his IQ was 145. He has a speech delay which his doctors think is a condition known as Einstein Syndrome. When I brought this to the principal's attention & asked that he be offered SOME form of academics the following year, she & the school psychiatrist basically said "So what?" Then they acted surprised & ticked when I pulled him from the program! Their Autism "experts" decided my son was Autistic based on a checklist they were handed & inappropriate situations they put him in, setting him up for failure. They completely ignored statements from his doctors to the contrary..We thank God we were able to scrape the money together to put our kids in private school.

Posted June 18, 2012

Teachers and aides are all very helpfulalways willing to gotthe extra mile for the children.

Posted May 9, 2012

I have three children that come to this school. It has its ups and downs but what school doesn't. As the school sees the problem they handle it very quickly and do not hesitate to inform parents of situations. Mrs. Daley has my 4th grader in her class. She pushes him to be the best he can and acknowledges his intelligence. As she states often, "There are kids who you speak to as a kid, but your son I have to speak to like an Adult". That is the way it should be according to me. Mrs. Bergman has my 3rd grader. Mrs. Bergman is an awesome teacher who cares for my daughter deeply and keeps a watchful eye on her. Mrs. Nordskog has my 1st grader. Mrs. Nordskog continuously speaks me on my daughters behavior and as always it is perfect. I have noticed some people complain about how the staff handles children by blowing whistles and yelling at the kids to get where they are supposed to be and the kids don't like to listen. Parents want to blame it on the staff but I disagree. If you want to see how your child behaves without you make impromptu appearances at the schools then handle it. I am know for just showing up out of the blue.

Posted June 8, 2011

I have had at least one of my children at this school for the past four years, two for the past two years. Most of the teachers that both of my sons have had have been pretty good from what I can tell, but the students who attend this school do not seem to care. The parent involvement with the teachers & students is extremely low, so I feel that has something to do with it. I heard of complaints that some of the parents do not even look at their children's planner to see how their progress is going. Because of the lack of parent involvement, I can only give an average rating.

Posted October 9, 2010

I have had 3 children at Lowery Road Elementary. I have had wonderful teachers for the most part. I have had one teacher for 3 different years, Mrs. Harston. I simply love this teacher. She works with her parents. She was able to reach my 3 children in very different ways. My children have 3 very distinct personalities and it is not always easy for me to deal with them but she took each of that for whom they are and rose up and challenged my kids. She has had a wide variety of students in her class. She worked with my special needs child, just as she did my gifted child. I have one son who is a major handful but she made him feel like he was just like all the other students. She is strong and disciplined with her students but it pays off and the children love her. I also know that a neighbor was having difficulties and Mrs. Harston assisted and paid her electric bill to help her through the holidays.

Posted April 29, 2009

I'm a concern parent on the control issue of the children especially during there lunch time. When spoken with some of the staff they all say they need volunteers to help out during this time I m sure that is true but in my opinion I don t think it s a volunteer issue it s more a staff issue on how they control the situation. Blowing a whistle or hollering at the children as though they are in boot camp is not a way to control the noise it only contributes to the issue. My child says it s a daily event and very disturbing. I have spoken to parents from other schools and commented on our problem and they voiced out that this is not a problem in there schools. So it makes me wonder why it s a problem in ours. The teacher/student ratio is a bit high and I know they do the best to give all the children the proper attention I m just hoping to see the ratio decrease as my child gets into the higher grades. The educators are great and my hat goes off to them

Posted August 26, 2008

i went to this school from third gradde to fifth and I loved it I made great friends and met awsome teachers
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 26, 2007

Mrs.Collins and Mr.Gamble are the best teachers for students to have...go to lowery road...please!

Posted August 5, 2007

I went to this school since it started.(K-5) I made great friends. The best teachers were the gt/HAP teachers. I was involved in choir, after school program, art,and library assistant. The library was one of the best places and the books were always updated. P.E. kept me in shape. They took us took to the best and very educational field trips. The teachers always wanted the parents to be involved. The classes were challenging and I loved the school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 28, 2007

As a former educator at Lowery Road, I sympathize with the majority of the parents and their concerns for their children. It is evident that Lowery Road experienced a great deal of difficulty regarding discipline and yet the lack of parental support has gone unspoken. Academically speaking, Lowery Road has great potential to be a recognized and/or exemplary campus. Administration, teachers, parents, and community members alike have a responsibility to all children, especially minority children. Lowery Road has produced stellar students taught by stellar educators and administrators.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted May 2, 2007

I will say I was impressed with Lowery road and Thankful to a teacher as Ms Janeway. I was nervous about sending my daughter to this school but this year she has excelled. She liked her class mates. I had only two issues this year and it was with transportation. When I called the Principal it was handled quickly. my daughter and were involved in every event. I noticed improvement in my daughters language and being more active. She grew in love Art and Music. Thank you Lowery Road and Ms Janeway

Posted June 1, 2006

This school was very disappointing. I had one in kindergarten and one in 2nd grade for one month before choosing to leave this school. The teachers were very professional, but student discipline was taking most of their time. My 2nd grader told me of some violent and very scary outbursts from some problem children in his class. His teacher agreed with my decision to leave saying that this school would not be able to meet his needs. As far as music, art and PE, there were no programs to speak of and even though they had a nice gym and even a 'coach', the teachers were responsible for teaching P. E. and music themselves, most often in their own classroom.

Posted January 11, 2006

This school was a horrible experience for my child. The teacher was unorganized and thoughtless to his needs. My son is advanced and this school brought him down. I got him out of there as quickly as possible.

Posted January 10, 2006

This was a very poor choice of schools on our part. The first semester my child was put into a class where english was taught as a second langage. There were 20-21 students in the class. I visted there and found that the class had 3-4 blacks( my chlid being one) and the other students were hispanic. He was moved from this class into one and things just got worse. This is the biggest mistake we could have ever made! The class was out of control! The children fought all the time! After a few busted lips and swollen eyes we said hit back! He was suspended 4 times! The communication was very poor we could never catch up with the person's in charge until the suspensions. We were notified via vioce mail! I would not recommend this school to any concerned parent! We have since moved our child and hope we can help get him over this experience!

Posted May 14, 2005

I believe that the educators at lowery are comprised of various mixes of personallities, experience levels, along with ego's that sometimes conflict with the lack of quality training that our kids should be getting in the classroom. It amazes me when parents have to attend certain classes or lunchroom times just to make sure that her handicapped son is not being taunted, because the teachers and or Principal will not protect that boy from these things that this Mother has asked for help in a situitation, just so that she may have any piece of mind for herself and her son. It is an outrage when a parent walks to a teachers classroom and he hears and watches that teacher scream at a child for whatever happened to incite her rage. No child deserves this! I wish Lowery Rd the best in working out their problems. We deserve better!

Posted April 15, 2004

I have two children in this school and they have had wonderful experiences. My 3rd grader is in the HAP class and her teacher is excellent! My fifth grader is doing well in his classes also. I recommend this school to parents who are willing and able to get involved with their child's school. Talking with teachers and developing a rapport with the staff is important at any school. They also have an after-school tutoring program for 3rd - 5th graders with limited registration which is free and has been very good for my kids. With any school, there are children there with behavioral problems that affect the classroom and other children, but overall this school has learning programs and teachers who are very helpful with the children.

Posted March 18, 2004

I have had a bad experience personally with the FWISD and Lowery Road they are very much not aware of what is going on with the teachers or other staff and the main concern is how the school looks to the public vs. how important the children are and that should be that only concern. I personally would not advise anyone to put their child in a FWISD school unless you have no other choice

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

137 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

138 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

110 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

109 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

108 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

117 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

116 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students73%

Limited English proficient (LEP)57%
Proficient in English61%
Non-migrant63%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students56%

Proficient in English51%
Non-migrant52%
Non-Gifted48%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Asian or Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• DEBRA WILLIAMSON
Fax number
  • (817) 492-7905

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now