Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Im in loving with this school. My son is the happy children in the world.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This is the worse about this school. They only have one page of math on Mondays and this is duo Friday. Beside this, one a list of Spelling words due on Friday too. Some weeks, they don't have ANY homework. And it is in GRADE 4!!!!

Academically very weak, the teachers have no experience, no motivation, and the level of the students here are very low.I am new in Frisco and I am moving from this neighborhood to have my child in a better school. Very frustating...

We have a foster child who attends this school. We have had the absolute worst experience with the staff. Yes, our son has behavior issues but most foster kids do who have been through traumatic situations. The school got tired of his behaviors even though we are working with him at home and we do have outside counselor a and play therapists involved. It even got to a point they started sending him home from the nurse for things as simple as a cough (which he struggles with after bio visits because the parents smoke so heavily) so that they don't have to mess with his behaviors. We got to a point we had to call a meeting with cps, casa, and agency to simply make it known we had caught on to this and it needed stopped. We also have requested testing for special education and the school refused it. With this principal and staff it has been one issue after another. I get that they don't get any state money for a foster kid but to continue to be rude and not treat our kid like a normal kid is unacceptable. I do not suggest this school to anyone and in fact, our bio son who starts kindergarten next year will be attending elsewhere!

Shawnee trail is a great school, but I do agree with the previous post, if you are not very connected and in tune with what is going on, your child might not reach their full potential, the front office sometimes makes remarks or takes a disposition to the effect that you are being a bothersome parent who they are to busy to really deal with you when you really start digging to try and be more connnected, and it is obvious that they communicate as a whole in regards to questions or issues meant for only one or two of the staff. But as a whole, the teachers so far seem to really care, the principal really does take initiative and is involved in the school, and you can tell she really cares about the kids. The school is organized, but is somewhat lacking on communication about where your child truly is at academically and behaviorally, the info needs to be sought after by the parent. This school is a safe one, but the more I have to dig to find info, the less safe it feels. Other than the attitudes with the front office and needing to really dig to find out about my child, I'd say this school is one of the best due to the dedication of teachers and the heart given by the principal

Obviously, every student and parent's experience is unique. Having said that,after our 4 yr experience, I feel it my responsibility to give heads up. Pluses~ A safe & organized environment. Quick responses to questions or requests. A well-intended effort from a majority of the staff. Yes, there are teachers that are "done" & shouldn't be working with kids because they're ability to stay patient,creative & encouraging is very week. Sadly, their spark is gone. As a result, they leave their class stressed & uninspired to learn. The CONS: Academically, this district's desire to teach solely to achieve higher scores on standardized tests required by state- ABSOLUTELY DETRIMENTAL & COUNTER PRODUCTIVE- The school has had a run with teachers leaving soon after school starts for maternity totally messing with the cohesion & consistency of the learning process. Grading system is misleading & inconsistent. The teachers are overwhelmed & stressed by outside restrictions& demands. To sum it up- You're child could have a positive elementary experience here- If you are VERY connected, communicative & involved in their experience & are not afraid to speak up~ Which should be wherever they go!

I disagree with the previous post. My autistic child has had a positive experience at Shawnee Trail for years with the principal, teachers and other kids. There have been experiences where the other kids have stared at him when he's behaved differently, which is understandable, but the teachers addressed it appropriately so they would accept my son's differences and not make fun of him.

Do not send your special needs child here unless you want their self esteem to be destroyed. I pulled my autistic child out to homeschool the day I made a surprise visit to see him being chastised in the hall complete with the assistant principal's finger two inches from his little face.

I want to say few words about Mrs Polk and Ackermenn , my daughters Ist grade and 4th grade teachers, They are super teachers, very patience and easy going.I am very happy and satisfied with them, Every teacher is an outstanding teacher in Shawneetrail. Music and art teachers are amazing !!!!!!!!! Shawnee rocks :)

The staff at Shawnee Trail is awesome! I have been very pleased with them, and Ms. Wakeland, the principal, is wonderful. It's obvious she cares about the kids and her staff. There's a reason she was voted as one of the best principals in Frisco!

Last modified Shawnee Trail Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.