Garland High School 3

Posted September 03, 2014
I am a student at Garland High School. I love this school. Sure there might be a little gang activity, but the spirit and tradition here is unmatched. But beware, if you arent in an IB class, you wont get bus transport.

Posted August 28, 2014
This is considered the best school in the district. That's not saying much. Some of the teachers involve religious beliefs in their classes. There is a church right beside the school for that; a church school. The English Pre Ap classes give a lot of tedious work, a lot of it being homework. The English teachers also constantly ask for books that they will never even use, which is a waste of the parents' money. Most of the core class teachers also make the kids carry separate books and binders; they usually want at least 2 inch binders along with their textbook, which can cause a lot of stress carrying all the required material from room to room.

Posted January 16, 2014
My daughter is a Junior at GHS. She is actively involved in the IB program, choir and drill team. The extra curricular offerings at GHS are top notch. They have one of the best choral departments in GISD, placing 13 students in the Texas All-State Choir in 2013-14. Students and parents alike are encourage to be involved. The tradition is rich at GHS and the school spirit is fabulous.

Posted December 12, 2013
I am a mother that has a daughter that attends Garland H.S the Owls. This school has very poor teaching skills, & the staff of the school does not know what they are doing. I have been having issues that the teachers keeps counting my daughter absent from class, but she will be there in the class room. I have called, been up to school, & my daughter letting the teacher know she is there but the same problem continues. I can see why alot of students drop out be of the frustration of school. I am having to withdraw my daughter from this unorganized school & place her in a better & caring school.

Posted December 17, 2012
If you are not in IB or an Athlete, avoid this school. Teachers, faculty, and administrators alike have no interest in you if you are not throwing a ball or (attempting) to get an IB diploma. As an AP student, I was insulted on at least 2 different occasions for "not being as smart" as IB students. The school is very segregated as well and, considering that GISD has a choice of school, I would suggest picking another school in the district if at all possible.

Posted December 29, 2011
I am a former student at Garland High School and i would like to say that this school is one of the BEST high schools. This school has so much spirit and history behind it something that other schools don't really have. I'm glad to say when i grow up that i attended Garland High School. It might be the oldest but to me its not about the looks its about how the school i ran. This school is really consider a family they work together not by one individual but as a big team. I'm in the performing arts program and think its awesome and fun we are really a talented school. I am looking forward to my next 3 years at GHS and i know it will be a good three years.

Posted May 16, 2011
Three of my four sons graduated from Garland High school and i love it. The school spirit is infectious but more than that the education was far above what I have seen in other high schools in the area. I credit this to the International Baccalaureate program. Some of the same teachers of this program also teach AP courses. My sons were well prepared for college. The one who attended the IB program entered Texas Tech as a sophomore and the other two only needed one semester to become college sophomores. There is plenty of opportunity at this school to take advantage of.

Posted February 25, 2011
I can't begin to tell you how much I love this school. I have one kid in band and one in color guard and they get so much from it. There is a true family atmosphere with the band and they do so many special things for the kids. Parent participation makes the program even better. There are some really great teachers that are a bit off the beaten path. Unique. My kids learn best from those kinds of teachers. I am blessed that my kids are going to this school and have 2 more that I am grooming to be Owls in the future. The day my last child leaves this school will be a sad day for me.

Posted April 14, 2010
Garland High School is extremely challenging academically, athletically, and the talent of these students is unlimited. The diversity of GHS is one I've never seen in any high school across the nation. But as part of a close-knit team that competes all over the state, I learned other schools did not like our unique culture and school spirit. Several students from other schools admitted it was because they were surprised and a bit jealous of such a close-knit albeit crazy community. While it is not perfect, most of the teachers are offbeat, unique, and teach what is truly important. I'd never change schools.

Posted March 24, 2010
Hi i was a Student in Garland High School and i have to say that the Teachers and Principals were Great helpers towards me not because they where my teachers or principlas but i had a special thing for all of them... they were Great,,, Thank You Guys

Garland High School
310 South Garland Avenue, Garland, TX  75040
Last modified Garland High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garland High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top