Helotes, TX

Posted September 14, 2011
We moved to the area from another area in San Antonio. We had heard great things about Beard, but began having problems almost from day 1. My son's teacher was extremely negative...no paper was ever good enough. If he made a perfect score there was always a negative comment added at the top, such as handwriting too small, spelled February wrong - AGAIN, etc. My son had previously attended another school in the district. He is an A student without behavior problems. He loved going to school, but when we got to Beard he cried every morning that he was scared and hated school. How sad. Conferenced with teachers, counselors, and ultimately principal, but no one seemed to much care. Not until I "name-dropped" about upper level NISD employees did I get any results. Front office staff is too busy gossiping to be friendly or helpful. I agree with the poster who said parental involvement is welcome as boosterism only, not as equals. As an educator myself, I am appalled by the way I've been treated and would NEVER treat my students or parents this way. On a positive note, my son's teacher this year is FANTASTIC! There are plenty of wonderful teachers. Just hope you get one!

Posted August 17, 2011
This will be our 3rd year at Beard. This school has been outstanding! My son was struggling with some learning issues, but has blossomed at Beard. He is now in the GT program and is above grade level in all areas. The teachers are great about stimulating the more advanced kids while working with those that are a little slower to catch on. As for the drop off issues, we get there early enough that it is not a problem. If you wait until 7:35 to drop your child off for 7:45 school, you are likely to be late. The principal and vice principal are both very supportive and helpful. They have both assisted me with problems with my rambunctious pre-schooler and he's not even a students there yet. Parent involvement is above average. Unfortunately, you will always have some parents that just can't be bothered. Overall, this school is great!

Posted May 20, 2011
Amazing school! We've had children here for the past 5 years and continue to be impressed by the level of rigor and challenge Beard provides our children. Mr. Rustan, the principal, is absolutely incredible!! He knows his community like no other, understands the needs of the children and ALWAYS is willing to meet and discuss any and all concerns. He makes himself available to everyone - which is truly amazing considering the school is 1,000+ students. Plus, he knows all of the students names which is remarkable!! Beard was named a Top 5 School in San Antonio and the #1 rated Northside Elementary School... contrary to a previous poster these rankings just don't happen if meetings are denied and the curriculum is "deadening". It is a high achieving community where our students are pushed, but supported, and the results speak for themselves. Being a large school, there has to be some understanding that the Vice Principal is used as a liaison and a communicator just as Mr. Rustan is. Mrs. Pruneda, VP, is an EXCELLENT administrator and is also willing to meet with parents and families. Again, a previous poster indicates "denied a meeting with principal"... not at Beard!

Posted October 25, 2010
I couldn't ask for a better staff and more caring teachers. My son began kindergarten here and has blossomed so much. They were very supportive of him during my six month deployment as well. They truly care about his well-being and education. No private school could even begin to compare to this. Top notch education!!

Posted October 03, 2010
Beard is an excellent school. I taught for 30 years in elementary. I am now raising me 3 grandchildren and they all go to Beard. 1st, 3rd, and 4th grade. They love going to school. They have high expectations, and parental involvement is essential. I couldn't ask for a better school. Teachers have high energy and are very positive and caring.

Posted September 09, 2010
I agree with the reviewer from 8/11/2010 there is too much homework for kindergartners. Sometimes over an hour. If your child is not good at being timed then beware of the math facts on Fridays. Volunteers all seemed to be in a cliq. We were also denied a meeting with the principal.

Posted August 11, 2010
Education by test prep even for kindergartners. Deadening. Our child loved reading before he went to school here; now he never wants to read. Dreadful. Onerous amounts of homework are assigned in kindergarten. When we wanted to meet with the principal, we were denied a meeting. The school welcomes parent participation as boosterism, but not as partners or equals.

Beard Elementary School 0

Posted October 23, 2008
We love Beard Elementary School. It is a happy, bright, colorful, creative and fun place to learn. The strong leadership of a good principal is evident all over the school. Zero the hero rocks!

Posted October 09, 2008

Posted September 02, 2007
I have found that Beard is great and offers a lot to my child who is in her 2nd year there. Mr. Rustan is very involved and the teachers are excellent. I am very pleased as the parent of a 1st grader.

Beard Elementary School
8725 Sonoma Parkway, Helotes, TX  78023
Last modified Beard Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beard Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top