Houston Christian High School 2

Posted August 03, 2014
As a parent who has sent multiple children to this school, I can honestly say that it is a different environment than when we started over 6 years ago. I have witnessed many excellent teachers/administrative staff/etc. come and go. Some were forced and some left on their own. As far as the two most recent posts, which by the way are attacking posts that were removed, it is a shame that they are casting shame on someone for sharing their personal experience. My family, personally, has not received the warm, Christian support that we expected from the school. Quite the opposite. There are certain "unchristian behaviors" that occur on a daily basis. These behaviors are not thwarted. The administration is not as supportive as the glowing reviews claim. It is a very top-down authoritative model. The golden rule is to treat others the way you want to be treated. Because it is forbidden on this site to single out particular incidents or people, I will refrain from describing the incident. Most of the teachers there are kind, compassionate and Christian like in all that they do. Students, however, can be exceptionally mean and there are no consequences.

Posted August 01, 2014
After working with teenagers and their parents over the past 32 years, it is crucial to remember, there is ALWAYS more to the story! .Houston Christian is not a perfect school, but it is an INCREDIBLE one. A line from one of my favorite songs says, "every truth that I am shown is tinted by the pain I've known... I'm just trying to find THE WHITE". I'm curious if the folks who had such harsh criticism sought out the ones they had complaints against with a desire to understand and resolve the differences? Possibly, we could find our way back to what is 'white' (untainted and pure) if we were to take that approach. I'm offended by the remark that the Christian culture is a motto worn lightly on the sleeves of the leadership of the administration. Wow. Such a sweeping comment and yet so very different from what I know to be true. I know and see hearts that are teachable and are laying down their lives for the students. I am sincerely sorry for the experiences some have had. Without question, that is not the heartbeat, desire, nor goal of our school.

Posted July 31, 2014
Shame on the two previous posters. I've seen people come and go, and have taught at a variety of schools over my career. There's no perfect school, but this one is a wonderful environment. PARENT: You are not aware of everything that goes on at the school and why people either choose or are asked to leave. As for the Christian environment, you offend many of us greatly when you criticize the sincerity or authenticity of our Christian motivation. Almost all of the teachers with whom I interact (and that is a great number of them) are more centered and solid than most people I know, and their number one mission is to serve students as they educate them. When you make comments such as yours, you offend many of us who are putting everything we have into loving your young adult well. TEACHER: If you find a job where you are happy 75% of the time, that is a good job. You will never like everything or everyone at a job. For the public record, everyone is NOT operating on a basis of fear. The teachers who have come in the last few years have brought great energy and excitement that we have long needed. You hurt all of us when you post something like this. I am really disappointed in you.

Posted June 24, 2014
My children have really thrived at this school. I feel blessed to have found it.

Posted June 09, 2014
I've been a teacher at HC for more than 10 years now. I'm also a parent; my child attended the school as well. While HC is not a perfect place, I don't think any other school is either. What I like about HC is the community as a whole. We have wonderful parents, eager students, an amazing support staff, and teachers who love what they do. Collectively, the academics are rigorous, and developing life-long learners is the focus. People here go above and beyond to help and support one another; they serve with a Christlike attitude. Can we improve in areas? Of course, and we seek to daily. HC is open to feedback, is self reflective, and desires excellence. We would love to meet the need of each student who walks through the door, and if we have not, it is definitely not because we didn't try. What makes an excellent school? A standards based curriculum, teachers who are knowledgeable and passionate about their craft, students who desire to learn, an administration willing to make the tough decisions, and a community that supports the mission and vision of the school. HC has these elements, and most students that come here thrive because of this.

Posted June 03, 2014
Houston Christian is a great school, balanced academically, spiritually and artistically. I have been very impressed with the high degree of professionalism and dedication of the faculty, staff and administration. The students are polite and motivated to learn and to serve each other. Highest recommendation.

Posted May 30, 2014
I graduated from HC a few years ago and have remained connected to fellow alumni, as well as my former teachers. I transferred to HC after my freshman year of high school and absolutely loved my time there! My teachers challenged me both intellectually and spiritually. We were always held to high standards, but I am grateful that everyone at HC believed that we had so much potential. I was so well-prepared for college and I credit that to the work of the faculty and staff of HC. HC was also a place where I was given the opportunity to grow spiritually. Every adult there continually pointed me to Christ and exemplified Christian encouragement and grace. I could not be more grateful for the solid academic and spiritual foundation that HC provided me.

Houston Christian High School 1

Posted May 28, 2014
Worst. Decision. Ever. To. Attend. THIS. School. I had plenty of choices when it came to high schools, and am I ever sorry I settled on Houston Christian. The administration speaks to the students in a mocking tone. They even laugh at us if we make mistakes, innocent mistakes that are a part of growing up. Farthest thing from the "wholesome, Christian environment" that me and my family were seeking. I am sorry that I wasted the precious time of my youth attending this school. I CANNOT wait to be free from their chains of misery and constant humiliation. I will share my story with all that want to know what its really like to attend this school.

Posted May 20, 2014
Houston Christian combines the rigor of an ISAS-accredited college prep high school with a faith-based perspective that is an integral part of the day to day life of the school. It seeks to lift up each child's individual gifts and encourages them to pursue their passions. Whether your gift is in athletics, the fine arts, academics, or leadership, there is a place for everyone. I once heard a prospective parent say that the rumor in Houston is that HC is "the happy school." Students are outwardly supportive of one another within and across grade levels. Because of its location, HC draws students from a broad geographic area which enriches the student body. Faculty are available before school, at lunch and after school for students looking for extra help or guidance. The Discipleship Groups, chapel programs and the presence of warm and faithful female and male chaplains create an environment of love, support and accountability that helps students handle the day to day stresses of being teenagers! We love Houston Christian and are so happy to have found it to educate our three children!

Houston Christian High School 2

Posted May 11, 2014
Do not send your child to this school if you are expecting a nurturing or Christian environment. The school would be way better off if they eliminated the "Christian" designation in their name. If you are seriously considering attending be sure so to ask about attrition. Approximately 10% of every class leaves and some years it is higher. Public school is a better option if you have a great public high school(needless to say you are already paying property taxes). Do your homework....

Houston Christian High School
2700 West Sam Houston Parkway North, Houston, TX  77043
Last modified Houston Christian High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Houston Christian High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.