Houston, TX

Posted April 26, 2015
Subjective discipline. Alcohol and drugs are rampant. Bullying is tolerated (and excused). Teachers are righteous (or so they think) Kids are not! Grace is not extended. Mistakes are not forgotten. Consequences are subjective. It matters how much $$ you give. The list could go on........ GOOD LUCK if you choose to go to school here..... Rating one star because I had to choose one.....
8 people found this helpful

Houston Christian High School 4

Posted April 19, 2015
To address previous posts ... In every school there are rules. Each parent signs their acceptance of those rules. Most issues arise when a student broke rules of which they, and their parents, are well aware. If the school abides by the rules they are un-Christian. If they extend grace, after prayer and thought, they are playing favorites. They are a school of imperfect people who work through lunch, stay late and come early to meet with students, go to games and performances, pray for students, grade at all hours, etc. The vast majority have hearts of compassion and well trained in their field. Young teachers? Yes! Who can relate to students who only communicate on electronic devices? Who can bring the latest creative ideas and research-proven methodologies to the classroom? How can students mature if all is perfect, if it always goes their way, if they are rescued at every turn? The school is not a four-year cocoon in which to hide from the world but one in which real-world challenges have to be faced and overcome, all while being offered a rich academic program. If that isn't college prep, what is? (submitted by parent and former teacher)

Posted April 15, 2015
My daughter is about to finish her freshman year at HC. She has found the faculty to be interesting and engaged. She has made great friends and has been involved in many ways. When choosing schools last year, HC was our first choice and it would be again today. Every school will have all types of people, whether students, faculty or parents. We have been very pleased with our experience at HC.

Posted April 09, 2015
In my opinion, a mythology has developed around HC lately. The mythology holds that student s poor grades must result from some elevated academic rigor at HC and reflects favorably on the faculty and the administration. This could not be any farther from the truth. The reality is HC has suffered a serious lack of leadership the last few years and it has really started to be reflected fully in the poor quality of faculty and subsequently the grades of students. Do not misunderstand, students ultimately have responsibility for their grades, but as a parent who pays a considerable amount of money for the education offered at HC I could not be more disappointed in the quality of the faculty. On balance I have not been impressed with the faculty. A number of the instructors have little or no teaching experience. I was shocked to discover a number of instructors with not only limited teaching experience, but also no formal training in the subject they are teaching. The faulty and the administration should be held accountable for their responsibilities just as the students are held accountable. There are far better schools here locally more interested in educating and growing your child.

Posted March 26, 2015
Weak "administration" and very weak "academics." Head of School and Dean care nothing about the students, except the ones whose parents they are trying to brown nose. Kids openly brag about how their parents got them out of trouble because "they're friends with the Head of school." (Trouble being busted for drinking at parties or smoking pot.) The dean refuses to deal with the major undercurrent of bullying. HCHS presents a great front, but once you're in, it is a less than desirable "education." I wouldn't put my dog there now knowing what I know about that place.

Posted November 26, 2014
Private school pricetag; public school education. $80,000 plus would have gone a long way towards college costs. Same curriculum (and textbooks) as local district high school. Be sure to check out where the graduates are going to college.
6 people found this helpful

Posted August 01, 2014
After working with teenagers and their parents over the past 32 years, it is crucial to remember, there is ALWAYS more to the story! .Houston Christian is not a perfect school, but it is an INCREDIBLE one. A line from one of my favorite songs says, "every truth that I am shown is tinted by the pain I've known... I'm just trying to find THE WHITE". I'm curious if the folks who had such harsh criticism sought out the ones they had complaints against with a desire to understand and resolve the differences? Possibly, we could find our way back to what is 'white' (untainted and pure) if we were to take that approach. I'm offended by the remark that the Christian culture is a motto worn lightly on the sleeves of the leadership of the administration. Wow. Such a sweeping comment and yet so very different from what I know to be true. I know and see hearts that are teachable and are laying down their lives for the students. I am sincerely sorry for the experiences some have had. Without question, that is not the heartbeat, desire, nor goal of our school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 31, 2014
Shame on the two previous posters. I've seen people come and go, and have taught at a variety of schools over my career. There's no perfect school, but this one is a wonderful environment. PARENT: You are not aware of everything that goes on at the school and why people either choose or are asked to leave. As for the Christian environment, you offend many of us greatly when you criticize the sincerity or authenticity of our Christian motivation. Almost all of the teachers with whom I interact (and that is a great number of them) are more centered and solid than most people I know, and their number one mission is to serve students as they educate them. When you make comments such as yours, you offend many of us who are putting everything we have into loving your young adult well. TEACHER: If you find a job where you are happy 75% of the time, that is a good job. You will never like everything or everyone at a job. For the public record, everyone is NOT operating on a basis of fear. The teachers who have come in the last few years have brought great energy and excitement that we have long needed. You hurt all of us when you post something like this. I am really disappointed in you.
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 24, 2014
My children have really thrived at this school. I feel blessed to have found it.

Posted June 09, 2014
I've been a teacher at HC for more than 10 years now. I'm also a parent; my child attended the school as well. While HC is not a perfect place, I don't think any other school is either. What I like about HC is the community as a whole. We have wonderful parents, eager students, an amazing support staff, and teachers who love what they do. Collectively, the academics are rigorous, and developing life-long learners is the focus. People here go above and beyond to help and support one another; they serve with a Christlike attitude. Can we improve in areas? Of course, and we seek to daily. HC is open to feedback, is self reflective, and desires excellence. We would love to meet the need of each student who walks through the door, and if we have not, it is definitely not because we didn't try. What makes an excellent school? A standards based curriculum, teachers who are knowledgeable and passionate about their craft, students who desire to learn, an administration willing to make the tough decisions, and a community that supports the mission and vision of the school. HC has these elements, and most students that come here thrive because of this.

Houston Christian High School
2700 West Sam Houston Parkway North, Houston, TX  77043
Last modified Houston Christian High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Houston Christian High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top