No rating

British School of Houston

Private | PK-12 | 850 students

We are best known for high academic standards.

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $138,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $760.

Posted January 29, 2012

I would not recommend this school if your child has any educational problems. Although they state they help children, they do not. You have to paid extra for tutoring and any extra support your child may need. Ask for the parent handbook before you sign up - why isn't it on their open pages.

Posted November 23, 2011

I have been a long-term student at BSOH, since 2007. When I arrived, the student body was warm and welcoming, teachers were of good quality, but the head teacher seemed distant from the actual school. Over the years, management has changed, as have teachers. At the end of last teacher, far more than half of the secondary school teachers left, leaving the school without some of it's greatest assets: the teachers. With the beginning of the new academic year, many new teachers have been brought on, and are all very enthusiastic and commited to helping the students achieve high grades. However, I have also noticed that there is a divide between the current headmaster and the student body, and many of us do not believe that he is running the school adequately. I would recommend this school to Brit expats in particular as it maintains the education standards and provides plenty of other expat families to meet and socialize with. We're always happy to meet new people BSOH, it's just a shame that the poor leadership has sent a divide between the students and head teacher. I have to disagree with the review below, as none of us are rude or treat any other students badly.

Posted September 16, 2011

Currently I am a new student at the british school of houston...When you get to a new school your supposed to be welcomed when I got to the school everyone was rude and I was left out. Theres GREAT education but the people are very rude ! The facilities are not good but the supplies is. If your a parent and your reading this and your kid is going into Y8 SWITCH SCHOOLS. Also, they usually refer to last year like in science, history and music. I HIGHLY recomend if your kid is going into y8 to switch schools.

Posted August 20, 2011

I agree with the previous comment - excellent teachers. However, OVER HALF the secondary teachers left this July - you have to wonder why?

Posted August 18, 2011

I was very happy with the teaching and care my daughter received at the British School of Houston. She did the last year of the very demanding IB Diploma and I can happily say that the level of professionalism from all the teachers she had was absolutely fabulous. The BSH has very good teachers who will go that extra mile to make sure your child thrive in their education and life.

Posted July 18, 2011

I have little positive to say about this school, teachers have been slightly better than average, the academic programs have been just below average but the head leadership has been very poor. I am pleased we are moving on.

Posted August 29, 2010

I have two children who have attended the British School of Houston for two years, and over the past year I have seen significant improvements at the school in terms of the leadership, facilities and direction the school is taking. The recent renovation programme has been a huge success and the summer's outstanding GCSE and IB results are a true reflection of the academic standards and focus on learning that exist at the school.

Posted June 28, 2010

My child has been at the BSH for several months coming from a British International School overseas. If you are coming from the State system in the UK, the education standards are probably higher. If you are coming from a fee paying UK school or from the private sector internationally , you will be sorely dissapointed. There is no doubting the integrity and commitment of the staff but, they need to be led, encouraged and given the resources to raise the bar of the 'extras' commonly expected from education institutions in it's peer group. This school falls terribly short of facilities (piecemeal renovation will not correct the fundemantal flaw of the design) and its; social/sporting/cultural programmes remain mediocre at best. If you want your child to stay within the British Curriculum here in Houston, you have no choice.

Posted June 15, 2010

My daughter has just graduated from the British School of Houston after 4 years of Education there... .. the teachers are fabulous, very caring and hard working. The new head teacher and head of IB are doing a great job... and the current year 12's will benefit fully from their input. I would definately recommend this school

Posted June 15, 2010

I have four children at the school and could not be happier with the education they are receiving. The school's best asset is the teachers, who are inspiring and motivating. This year has seen a new headmaster, Mr Foxwell, step into the role smoothly and been able to give the school a great sense of direction and leadership. I have had my children in the school from age four through to graduation and would recommend the teachers and level of education to anyone considering the school.

Posted May 28, 2010

This school has come a long way in the last year! The new leadership has done wonderful things for the school, and the entire community is feeling the effect of this positive change.

Posted May 27, 2010

I think the school is increasingly becoming a business concern rather than an institution focused on education and developing children, the BSA management appear not to care about parent concerns. On the school website you will find a statement concerned with continuing to offer a caring, friendly and international atmosphere , they either need to update their website or change the school management.

Posted May 11, 2010

I am a parent of two children in the senior school. We have been at the school almost 5 years. In our experience the standard of education has been progressively improving throughout this period and we can see a distinct improvement in the delivery of homework and marking in the last year. It certainly appears that the new leadership will ultimately raise standards which all the pupils will benefit from. In response to some of comments in previous reviews I should state that the staff turn over this year is just 10 % which is the lowest the school has known. Staff are being challenged for sure but the great majority are responding positively. The school has a lot of great teachers and there are a tremendous number of positive extra curricular accitivities. It was a very good decision to have our kids attend the school

Posted April 18, 2010

1 year ago I would not have recommended the British school to any new family ! However the past 6 months under the leadership of the new head shows that the school is definately heading in the right direction. I have 2 children in the upper school who are being challenged to work to their uppermost potential by a team of positive & professional staff. They are also learning alongside other kids who are happy to be there and are from well educated & supportive families. I am confident that the exam results will reflect the positive work going on inside the school. If you want your kids to be happy at school and be successful then I can highly recommend coming here.

Posted April 18, 2010

I would also like to recommend the British School of Houston. I have three children at the school, all of whom are happy and actively learning. Due to the new leadership and the progress we have witnessed at the school this year we have decided to keep our eldest at the British School for GCSEs, despite having an offer from an excellent school in the UK. The management team has sought to promote learning and raise standards. They are professional and supportive to both students and parents. The school has come a long way in a short time. The new management team and staff are a cohesive group working together towards a positive educational experience for our children. The school seems settled and focussed. It is important to recognize that negative comments by a few often reflects an inability to see the bigger picture with regards to change. Consequently this blinkered approach can be unjustifiably counterproductive, highlighting a restricted uninformed view.

Posted April 14, 2010

I would like to highly recommend The British School of Houston. I am in my 3rd year at the school with two children currently in Primary. They are both extremely happy and have teachers who are energetic, engaged and happy in their work. The standard of care and education they receive has met all our expectations and we are delighted to be staying in Houston so they can continue to attend the school. BSOH has been through some tough times in recent years but the new Head (appointed August 09) and his team are really moving us forward. To balance some other views posted - I have found the team very approachable and I know that their main priority is to take the school to the next level. The vast majority of parents are happy with the school and these negative comments are not representative.

Posted April 7, 2010

We too have decided to move our child to another school before they start secondary. Essentially we have been very happy with Primary education through to year 5. Excellent progress has been made. However we want to to move our before secondary begins. Through GCSE and IB the school fails. This years year 5 staff have been excellent, special kudos to Miss Smith for being thrown in at the deep at the deep end halfway through the first term and still raising standards several sub levels.

Posted August 9, 2009

The only reason BSOH, sorry, BSH is gett 4 stars is because of the quality of education that I have received at GCSE level, and for their teaching staff. Although I am still awaiting my results, I am at a far higher level than I would've been at had I stayed at my previous school. Teachers were absolutely amazing; motivated, dedicated and always ensuring that we were treated accordingly for age. However, the problems arise when senior leadership and facilities are mentioned. Facilities would be getting less than one if possible. The earlier comment that was posted in July was obviously made by a member of the BSA. New building was meant to be ready in Summer 2008, but planning permissions, and poor planning halted this. Once opened, this new $1 million building quickly fell apart and into disrepair. Senior leadership was almost always unapproachable and extremely unlikable.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 19, 2009

We agree with the previous comments, the school facilities are far from what you would expect for a private school, however, improvements are being made. We don t believe the facilities should be a parents main concern, surely it should be the standard of education the child receives - this is not lacking at the BSH, in fact the majority of the staff are some of the most dedicated people we have come across. There have been clear improvements since our arrival 18 months ago. So keep it up BSH, you have the backing of many happy parents.

Posted August 28, 2008

The lower school is good. The buildings are being improved and the teachers are very enthusiastic and cover the primary UK curriculum very thoroughly. When I compare their coverage of the essentials with a private and very expensive school my son was going to in London I am very pleased with what they've done. The SEN teacher is excellent. The upper school is small but as it's non-selective getting 96% A-C grades at O level is well above UK average - small class sizes are the key. IB they are still improving and it will take time. IB is harder than A levels folks!

Asian or Pacific Islander 5% 4%

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Texas
Imperial College of London
University of Tornoto
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Dutch
French
Italian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • HISD Inventors Competion (2008)
  • HISD Performance and Debating Competition (2008)
  • HISD Tournament of Knowledge Competition (2009)

Special education / special needs

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Stephen Foxwell
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (713) 290-9014

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Level of special education programming offered