Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)

Herod Elementary School 4

Posted October 29, 2015
All schools have there problems at least at this school u will be heard.SO FAR SO GOOD

Posted September 02, 2015
Wonderful school with wonderful teachers! My child spent 1 year there but we miss it greatly now and wish we could go back. The teachers are truly wonderful and very caring.

Herod Elementary School
Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted July 06, 2015
This school is too slow if your child is not GT then they will not invest in anything !

Posted June 04, 2015
We are very pleased with the new principal. She is very qualified and has a great vision for the school. It's difficult for some parents and teachers whenever there is a transition. There will be a great increase in technology next year, and there will be some inclusion in the specials rotation beyond the computer lab. Science and Math remain a huge focus, with Science still being in the specials rotation. There has been a slight increase in testing, but that is coming from HISD and not the new principal. The real focus is still on educating the whole child.

Herod Elementary School 2

Posted May 02, 2015
Herod unfortunately appears to be headed in the wrong direction. We have been huge advocates for the school for years. Lots of great people work there. We have had a child at Herod Running the halls for nearly a decade. They have always been happy, safe and growing their intellectual capacity. Recently there was a change in school leadership and it appears she either does not understand or care what the families at Herod want or is intentionally forcing a cultural change. No honest vision has been shared and for the most part the parents have been excluded from any major decision which is not how the school has operated historically. The focus is now testing and state test scores and not educating my child. When we shared our concerns with the principal she responded with half truths and denial. My youngest child who loved going to school now hates it. She does not understand why she has to take the same test nine times when she got an 'A' the first time she took it. Many families are making arrangements to leave who have been at Herod for many years. It's just sad to see the focus has shifted from education to testing . Be forewarned!

Herod Elementary School 2

Posted November 15, 2013
Did not have a good experience here. I think the school struggles to try to accommodate many different levels at once and many students fall through the cracks. My child's teacher and other staff seemed completely overwhelmed. I didn't hear about multiple problems my child had at Herod until much later. Sorry to say I cannot recommend this school since I was initially very excited about it.

Posted October 24, 2013
My boy's school is Herod Elementary School. The campus is new and beautiful. People are very nice. My boy is in K-5. He likes school and does well in math, reading and arts. He joins in the Extended Day program. He plays much time and his performance is good. I like it very much.

Posted October 14, 2013
Herod is a wonderful elementary school with dedicated teachers and staff that strive to create a well-rounded, creative child. It is a Vangard 'Gifted" Magnet. It is also the home of a great Dual Language curriculum which serves students from K-5th. We started 2013 with 825 students and interest in the school in increasing all the time. Our student population is very international and diverse, just as the city of Houston is. The children are taught to be respectful of each other and learning and trying our best is the focus for each child. We are fortunate that our principal wisely chose to keep all of our specialist classes. We still have P.E., Library, Music, Art and Mind Masters (a class only taught at Herod). Many schools had to cut programs such as these, but Herod was able to keep them and their wonderful staff. Children in the Vangard curriculum are challenged by the curriculum. From Kindergarten on, children are required to give oral presentations of their projects, which helps them with confidence and public speaking. The school also offers a PTO-run Enrichment program and a school operated Extended Day until 5:30 p.m.

Posted June 04, 2013
My daughter has attended Herod for 4 years. She is in the Dual Language program. We couldnt be happier. Wonderful teachers, committed administration and a modern facility. When she started she couldnt speak any Spanish. Now she is totally fluent. It's a lot of work and a real commitment on the student, teacher and parents part, but totally worth it. Wish I could give Herod 6 stars. Great work.

Herod Elementary School 4

Posted March 26, 2013
My son has been at Herod since 1st grade and is now in 5th. He is in the gifted/talented program. We have been very happy with the school, the teachers and staff. His teachers took time to work with him and keep him focused and on task. I'm surprised Herod only has a 6 rating, I would expect it to be an 8 or 9. The academic performance is very good, it has a diverse mix of students and as of this year, all new facilities.

Herod Elementary School
5627 Jason Street, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Herod Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herod Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top