Houston, TX

Posted October 14, 2013
Herod is a wonderful elementary school with dedicated teachers and staff that strive to create a well-rounded, creative child. It is a Vangard 'Gifted" Magnet. It is also the home of a great Dual Language curriculum which serves students from K-5th. We started 2013 with 825 students and interest in the school in increasing all the time. Our student population is very international and diverse, just as the city of Houston is. The children are taught to be respectful of each other and learning and trying our best is the focus for each child. We are fortunate that our principal wisely chose to keep all of our specialist classes. We still have P.E., Library, Music, Art and Mind Masters (a class only taught at Herod). Many schools had to cut programs such as these, but Herod was able to keep them and their wonderful staff. Children in the Vangard curriculum are challenged by the curriculum. From Kindergarten on, children are required to give oral presentations of their projects, which helps them with confidence and public speaking. The school also offers a PTO-run Enrichment program and a school operated Extended Day until 5:30 p.m.

Posted June 04, 2013
My daughter has attended Herod for 4 years. She is in the Dual Language program. We couldnt be happier. Wonderful teachers, committed administration and a modern facility. When she started she couldnt speak any Spanish. Now she is totally fluent. It's a lot of work and a real commitment on the student, teacher and parents part, but totally worth it. Wish I could give Herod 6 stars. Great work.

Herod Elementary School 4

Posted March 26, 2013
My son has been at Herod since 1st grade and is now in 5th. He is in the gifted/talented program. We have been very happy with the school, the teachers and staff. His teachers took time to work with him and keep him focused and on task. I'm surprised Herod only has a 6 rating, I would expect it to be an 8 or 9. The academic performance is very good, it has a diverse mix of students and as of this year, all new facilities.

Posted March 26, 2013
As an experienced educator certified to teach PK-8, I feel qualified to really judge the academics of a school. This is a fantastic school whether you are in the neighborhood program or the Vanguard program. There are caring and experienced educators on this campus. Great staff...from the front office to the cafeteria. The academics are rigorous! They are more concerned with teaching the whole child, instead of teaching to the STARR test. The homework can be intense. The grading is a bit hard, since they grade based on what they are teaching. ( which is advanced in some areas ) So, your child may not make high A's across the board. This school is very accepting of being " different" and all cultures are represented. Smart kids are "cool" at this campus! I am pleased to send my child here.

Posted July 24, 2012
My children have attended this school for two years and we are thrilled with it. Caring, dedicated teachers and staff, innovative programs, a full range of specials offerings and a truly inclusive atmosphere are among the things you will find at Herod. My children are in the G/T magnet program and have been challenged and supported every step of the way. I agree that you can't tell much about a school by its rating on this site. Visit Herod and find out why your kids should attend. Truly a hidden jewel in this area.

Herod Elementary School 4

Posted April 13, 2012
The school seems to be getting better with the new principal! My only complain is the fact that some staff members don't treat the kids with dignity and respect. I hope Mr. Johnson addresses that. Kids should enjoy going to school. Teachers have the right to discipline but keeping in mind kids dignity and respect. Ms. Roetzel, if you chose to teach, I suppose it's because you like children and enjoy working with them. How does being rude fit in that equation?!! Remember that kids say everything. Parents don't like to hear you are rude and ugly to kids.

Posted August 30, 2011
I am very pleased with this school my son had Mrs Hypolite for pk and couldn't have been happier she showed that she was more then just a teacher to my son being that dedicated teacher are hard to come by these days. My son is now in kindergarten and I know that he will have a fabulous yr as well.

Posted August 05, 2011
My son is entering the 1st grade Vanguard program at Herod. He thoroughly enjoyed Kindergarten and his class became family to him. His teacher Mrs. Melancon was awesome. She's very caring and very concerned about each child's growth and development. She loved them, and she challenged them. My son always came home to tell me the new things he learned. His sentences often started with, "Did you know " The administration and teachers seem very dedicated to finding and investing in the most effective ways to develop the students. I look forward to another great and challenging year.

Posted May 26, 2011
Simply love this school! My son has learned so much in his first year of pre-k, he had a great teacher too (Ms.Pitts), she really cares about her students education. My son enjoyed this year very much, making new friends and all and is thrilled to start Kinder soon. I would recommend this school to all you parents, trust me you won't regret it. :)

Herod Elementary School 3

Posted June 07, 2010
My son attended Herod for grades 4 & 5. His first year there (4th grade) was great. Excellent, caring teachers. 5th grade was not as good. No communication from the teachers, e mails and notes sent to teachers were left unresponded to for up to 2-3 weeks. Phone calls to teachers were left unreturned. The office staff at Herod is very unfriendly. They don't acknowledge your presence when you walk in the office. They don't offer to assist you.

Herod Elementary School
5627 Jason Street, Houston, TX  77096
Last modified Herod Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herod Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top