Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Both of my children are in Longfellow and this is my oldest childs 4th year. For the most part my experiences with the teachers (this year is TBD) have been AMAZING. My eldest son has dyslexia, ADHD, and dysgraphia. He is under a 504 accommodation after I had him tested in Kinder. So far all of the teachers as well as staff have been very accommodating to his needs. The school also allows his private tutor to come during magnet for his dyslexia without any issue which I cannot be grateful enough for! I feel like my son can get the help he needs here while also being welcomed as an 'out of the box' creative thinker and person. My younger son has been thoroughly enjoying school as well. I think Longfellow is a hidden little gem. Not every school is perfect but I am satisfied sending my boys here.

Our family has had a few years of experience at Longfellow and we are so pleased with the quality of academics, the exceptional teachers, the excellent magnet program and the Leader in Me experience. The teachers that we have had have been nurturing, enthusiastic about teaching, and instilled a love of learning in our children. The level of instruction is on par with other highly rated public and private school in the area. The Leader in Me program has seamlessly integrated real life skills of leadership, creativity, responsibility, compassion, initiative, and more into the everyday lessons. The magnet program is fantastic --my child is able to receive top notch music/instrument instruction for free that would have cost me lots of money in private lessons. I have had a very different experience than the parent who commented that there was no opportunity for involvement for parents. I have been very involved for the past few years and know many other parents who are as well. I have been encouraged and welcomed to attend field trips, volunteer in the classroom and take an active role in the school. I attended multiple field trips this year and in years previous. The school is locked during the day for the children's safety and you have to be buzzed in but you are allowed to visit and pick up your child early. If you do want to pick up your child early the school asks that you do so before 3pm since school lets out at 3:30pm and dismissal procedures start shortly after that. The rule is not restrict access to your child but to provide a smooth and safe dismissal process for ALL the children. Overall we have been very happy with our experience and the opportunities available to our child.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have had four different teachers at the school and have loved everyone. The principal does a great job of creating a nurturing and enriching environment where the students are put first. All of the teachers we have had were blessed with the gift of teaching.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The administration and staff foster an environment where honesty, integrity and fairness are expected and rewarded.

This school has little to no community involvement for the parents. The administrators and teachers control the students without parent input. They don't even want you to go on field trips with your own children! As a parent, you should be able to visit your child anytime you desire at his or her school. The school is on lock down everyday from 3 pm-3:30 pm where you cannot pickup your children at that time. LUDICROUS!!!!!! You should be able to have full and complete access to your own children at all times.

The opportunities that the children have in the fine arts are amazing. The children learn self discipline and how to accomplish a goal together through their work in band and orchestra. Mr. Gonzalez and Mrs. Snow are phenomenal teachers and role models. This is our child's 4th year at Longfellow and his self confidence has soared with the help of the arts program. The children have several opportunities to perform all over Houston. The Leader in Me Program has helped to create a school full of caring, responsible children. Bullying is not something that we see at Longfellow. As with any school, there are lots of good teachers and a few teachers that teach the test. If you find that a teacher is not dynamic, the principal is very receptive to complaints to help change this. If your child gets the rare poor teacher be sure to speak up! And if they are the majority who get a great teacher, be sure to give them praise! The teachers that have been hired in the past 5 years are outstanding.

Longfellow is a great school for your child to attend. My son was accepted into their magnet g/t program when he was in first grade. He came from Peterson elementary and it was a drastic change and the best thing I could've done. The environment is awesome , and the teaching is amazing. My child has been sculpted into another child while being at Longfellow, he is eager to learn and knows things I didn't even know in the same grade level. He is now in the 3rd grade. We live in fort bend now but I will not be switching him, I love Longfellow and have also sub,tilted an magnet app for his brother to attend this year also.

Longfellow Elementary is serving as the lighthouse for the Leader in Me Program for HISD. The children have been following the 7 habits since the program was implemented in 2010 and they are really pro-active! Our son plays in the band and has been invited to attend after school enrichment, free lessons after school. Several of the students are in All City Band or Orchestra. What an amazing opportunity.

My child attends this school. This school has great staff and faculty. It was important to me to see a mixed group of ages, experience and cultural diversity. In many of the schools, there are only young and inexperienced teachers and the failure to meet standards speaks volumes for poor, cheap leadership. This school is great, teachers are rarely absent, very patient with students, and the school makes use of tutors to help students with individual needs. There is a small problem with dealing with parents/kids that want to attend here but don't want to do the work, follow the behavior codes ...they seem to get away with bullying the staff and kids. Be the strong parent and let the district know they have your support in suspending these children into alternative programs. The way the system is now.. employees need help/ empowerment to enforce the rules. The school will be losing some great teachers because a few ignorant, low performing selfish children and parents were more concerned about getting babysitter service than educational services. The school thrives because there are volunteers, children act better when parents are around even for a few minutes.

my son just done with pk it was great experience he start the school year know the letters and little more now he can read grade one doing math and science in nice ways ..perfect teachers and principal and the after school program is so good..i am happy they accept my son for the next year and would like to thank them all specially his teacher because of her my son have very good progress and growing up ..many thanks to all the school staff...

Last modified Longfellow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.