Houston, TX

Posted May 21, 2014
The opportunities that the children have in the fine arts are amazing. The children learn self discipline and how to accomplish a goal together through their work in band and orchestra. Mr. Gonzalez and Mrs. Snow are phenomenal teachers and role models. This is our child's 4th year at Longfellow and his self confidence has soared with the help of the arts program. The children have several opportunities to perform all over Houston. The Leader in Me Program has helped to create a school full of caring, responsible children. Bullying is not something that we see at Longfellow. As with any school, there are lots of good teachers and a few teachers that teach the test. If you find that a teacher is not dynamic, the principal is very receptive to complaints to help change this. If your child gets the rare poor teacher be sure to speak up! And if they are the majority who get a great teacher, be sure to give them praise! The teachers that have been hired in the past 5 years are outstanding.

Posted December 20, 2013
Longfellow is a great school for your child to attend. My son was accepted into their magnet g/t program when he was in first grade. He came from Peterson elementary and it was a drastic change and the best thing I could've done. The environment is awesome , and the teaching is amazing. My child has been sculpted into another child while being at Longfellow, he is eager to learn and knows things I didn't even know in the same grade level. He is now in the 3rd grade. We live in fort bend now but I will not be switching him, I love Longfellow and have also sub,tilted an magnet app for his brother to attend this year also.

Posted October 23, 2013
This is our second year at Longfellow and we have had a great experience so far. I feel that the great schools rating does not accurately reflect the quality of our school. I have been so impressed with the academic rigor and the quality of teaching. My child loves learning and enjoys going to school. The school also offers an excellent fine arts program and a leadership development program called the leader in me. I have seen my child grow in confidence and leadership ability. Our neighborhood is seeing more and more new families move in and I hope they take the opportunity to visit our school and get involved.

Posted October 20, 2013
Longfellow Elementary is serving as the lighthouse for the Leader in Me Program for HISD. The children have been following the 7 habits since the program was implemented in 2010 and they are really pro-active! Our son plays in the band and has been invited to attend after school enrichment, free lessons after school. Several of the students are in All City Band or Orchestra. What an amazing opportunity.

Longfellow Elementary School 4

Posted August 08, 2013
My child attends this school. This school has great staff and faculty. It was important to me to see a mixed group of ages, experience and cultural diversity. In many of the schools, there are only young and inexperienced teachers and the failure to meet standards speaks volumes for poor, cheap leadership. This school is great, teachers are rarely absent, very patient with students, and the school makes use of tutors to help students with individual needs. There is a small problem with dealing with parents/kids that want to attend here but don't want to do the work, follow the behavior codes ...they seem to get away with bullying the staff and kids. Be the strong parent and let the district know they have your support in suspending these children into alternative programs. The way the system is now.. employees need help/ empowerment to enforce the rules. The school will be losing some great teachers because a few ignorant, low performing selfish children and parents were more concerned about getting babysitter service than educational services. The school thrives because there are volunteers, children act better when parents are around even for a few minutes.

Posted June 04, 2012
my son just done with pk it was great experience he start the school year know the letters and little more now he can read grade one doing math and science in nice ways ..perfect teachers and principal and the after school program is so good..i am happy they accept my son for the next year and would like to thank them all specially his teacher because of her my son have very good progress and growing up ..many thanks to all the school staff...

Posted April 20, 2012
Our two children attend Longfellow Elementary and we could not be happier. The children enjoy the academic rigor, the magnet focus on the arts and the cultural diversity. We interviewed many schools prior to our first son entering Kindergarten (including private) and chose Longfellow on a hunch as it "felt right" to us. Since then we are glad that we made this gut reaction. The teachers and adminsitrators are great and always open to parent input and help. Being encouraged to actively participate in our sons school has been very educational and rewarding for us. I would definitely recommend Longfellow Elementary School to any parent.

Longfellow Elementary School 2

Posted October 11, 2011
I attended this school and had an amazing time until I was in third grade. My class, in third grade, had been split into groups based on race and I constantly witnessed teachers not being supportive to students. At one point in the school year we spent two weeks not even going into the classroom. We were told to play all the time. At the time I didn't mind much but now in middle school I realize how lax the academics are. Bullying is also another major problem. The teachers were very aware that it was happening against the minorities at the school and turned their heads away. I really appreciated Ms. Young, Ms. Barwel, who is responsible for teaching me everything I needed to know for the next four years, and the art and orchestra teacher. The school now has very nice teachers but if you aim for your child to go to a middle school with good academics, it will be a struggle to catch up.

Posted August 05, 2010
HELLO MY DAUGHTER ATTENDED LONGFELLOW HER 1ST YEAR LST YEAR AND SHE LOVED IT I LOVED IT I WAS VERY PLEASE WITH EVERYTHING. THEY STAFF WAS GREAT TREATD THE KIDS AS THERE OWN. SHE WILL BE ATTENDING THE SCHOOL AGAIN THIS YEAR!!! I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMEND LONGFELLOW TO ANYONE LOOKING FOR A GREAT SCHOOL IN THIS AREA!!! THEY TAUGHT HER VERY WELL AND SOME

Posted February 21, 2010
this is our third year in longfellow and based on our experince this is the best decision we ever made. we belong to asian community and we never felt that we were treated differently my daughter is doing great in her class and learning as much as she can. i would recommend longfellow to anybody whose parents are looking for a school that offers great diversity.

Longfellow Elementary School
3617 Norris Drive, Houston, TX  77025
Last modified Longfellow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longfellow Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top