Houston, TX

Posted November 18, 2014
My son started at School of the Woods in the first grade and just began High School. I've read the other reviews with either glowing comments or vitriol. The facts should speak for themselves: In all the time we've associated with this school no child that I know of was ever dismissed unless they failed to finish their grade level work. My son received an invitation to attend Duke Tips (Duke University Talent Search) due to his high standardized test scores. He had to take the SAT as an 8th grader. He scored in the 75th percentile. They must be doing something right. At Duke, my son assimilated into a traditional teaching environment with ease and was lauded by his professor for his love of learning. Parents can be as involved as they like in a number of activities. Never have I felt that information was not forthcoming or that a teacher or administrator did not want to talk to me. In fact they bent over backward to assist him in getting set up to take the SAT. This is Montessori. It's designed to foster a love of learning and part of that is students teaching students. They don't move on until they demonstrate mastery.

School Of The Woods 2

Posted November 11, 2014
I toured this school for my middle school aged son. The classroom I visited was very busy, with the kids on task and doing what seemed to be age/grade appropriate work. I saw three teachers working with different students, mostly on math. I asked about standardized test results and was told they don't share that information, I wasn't given much information about the school, their programs, what their goals are; etc. I heard they have sports but wasn't told anything about a sports program. In general, I was impressed by the classroom, but don't feel like I was given enough information about the school in general to pick this as a good choice for my son.

Posted September 27, 2014
My daughter started going to school of the woods since she was 2 1/2 years old. This year us her second year in early childhood. She loves learning and enjoys going to school. We noticed that she is more confident and wants to be independent. Overall, we are happy with our choice to put her in school of the woods. My husband and I just completed the montessori journey training this weekend. It truly opened up our eyes to the possibilities of a montessori education. We now understand it much better and plan to keep our daughter in it till high school.

School Of The Woods 2

Posted August 04, 2014
Was looking for a school to stick my kid in and came across a web site which had issues with School of the Woods. I could not get School of the Woods to give me straight answers to my questions. I am going to enroll my kid into another school.

Posted December 07, 2013
Good school learned a lot and had lots of great experiences. I came in 4th grade and am still amazed by the outstanding quality of this unique education I am receiving.

Posted September 29, 2013
I am extremely happy with the school so far (EC-elementary levels). Almost all of my family members and extended family are/were teachers at traditional schools and we are happy with what we see. The atmosphere is great, the teachers are knowledgeable, and I see that children truly enjoy learning. The school pays close attention to child development stages, which is a big plus to me. They are also good about unstructured play time, which, I think, traditional schools lack. Wonderful art and music programs (most public schools cut those due to budgetary problems). And, what's more important, I see the steady academic progress that my child shows.

Posted September 19, 2013
The school has been a wonderful experience for my children. The faculty and the environment foster personal responsibility and preparation for life long learning. It develops more that test scores; it fosters creative empathetic people who can make a contribution to the community.

Posted September 12, 2013
SOTW is the best education that can possibly be provided. Words cannot express how amazing this school is!!

Posted September 09, 2013
The author of the August 29 post should be aware of the Great Schools policy prohibiting the identification individuals. In a small graduating class , it is quite simple to determine which individual is being discussed. Since Great Schools does not enforce their own policies, I expect this violation will not be addressed.

School Of The Woods 3

Posted August 29, 2013
Parents need to be careful trusting School of the Woods. The school's website and a reviewer below mention a 2013 grad was accepted and is attending Texas A&M. That student did not get accepted at A&M, is enrolled at Blinn Community College, a 2 year associates program and hopes to be one of the 6 out of 10 students who transfer into Texas A&M one day.

School Of The Woods