Houston, TX
Before care: Yes

Posted June 26, 2014
St. Stephen's is an excellent school for the little ones. My 3 year old daughter has attended their orientation program for the past year and really thrived. They follow the Montessori philosophy pretty closely so the kids do work on their mats at their own pace and are encouraged to be independent from 18 months when the program starts. The teachers are absolutely first rate and really make the program. My daughter loves to go to school every day and it's comforting to hear updates with how she is doing in class. Developmental phases and challenges are addressed quickly and with my involvement so we can reinforce the behaviors at home. The one criticism I have is that the administration is a bit disorganized and communication about school events is inconsistent. There are also LOTS of holidays where we have to find other child care. Other than that St. Stephen's couldn't be a better choice.

Posted April 10, 2014
This school is one of the best kept secrets in the Houston Montrose area! They have an acclaimed Montessori program from 18 months to 6th grade. In 7th and 8th grades that have installed the International Middle Years Program, and now the high school will begin it's IB Diploma Program in the 2014-15 school year! Small classes and a dedicated staff. What more could you want?

Posted May 28, 2013
We could not be happier with St. Stephens. My son is in Primary and has been attending St. Stephens for a year. I am amazed everyday by the amount he has learned in such a short time. He has grown academically and socially. I love the diversity and the culture of the school. The parents and teachers are very down to earth in nature. I am also very impressed by the Spanish, PE, and Music curriculum as well. My son has already participated in a play and a musical program. We highly recommend St. Stephens for those considering Montessori.

Posted May 27, 2013
I am so happy that we found St. Stephen's. Every day my children (1st grade and pre-k) come home excited about what they learned at school. The academics are superb. The students are taught broad concepts and problem solving rather than memorizing facts for a test. The lower school provides an excellent Montessori program that has allowed my children to thrive. We are very excited for the new International Middle Years Curriculum and the IB program in the High School. St. Stephen's is truly diverse and very international. Each child is proud of what makes him or her unique and interested in the differences in each other. The community is warm and open. In addition to excellent academics, St. Stephen's is committed to a vibrant fine arts, music and drama program.

St. Stephen's Episcopal School of Houston 1

Posted April 11, 2010

Posted January 12, 2010
My son has been at St. Stephen's since he was about 2 years old. I love that the school is Montessori. Teachers are amazing and really care about their students.

St. Stephen's Episcopal School of Houston 0

Posted October 27, 2009
St. Stephen's is a wonderful school with some of the best teachers in our city. Their teachers teach other Montessori teachers in Houston! My two children have thrived in this small nurtuing environment. The administration is easy to contact and the Upper School uses Edline well. I enjoy knowing exactly how my child is doint and I am kept up with his grades. Parents at St. Stephen's are mostly professional and value their child's education. The international make up of the school is also refreshing in a large city like Houston. It claims to be diverse and it REALLY is...so rare in most inner-loop private schools.

Posted November 10, 2008
For those who are a good fit, there is no better education than at St. Stephen s. The Lower School program amazes and delights with every level. The middle school has come a long way in a short time. Integrated into the Upper School with the high school program, the school is preparing students for the rigors of college upon completion of the program. Specifically, they recently named a Math Coordinator for the Upper School and she has really made some great changes for the betterment of the program. Although all change takes time, there has been better integration across levels vertically, including placement testing for moving up and new students to ensure they are placed into the correct level, whether for remediation or accelerated/advanced classes. Bold moves are changing the reputation of the school to a challenging environment where individuals are accountable and learning is differentiated. The faculty for the Lower and Upper School is the best it has ever seen! Upon graduation, the students are successful, either in a college environment, traveling abroad, or moving into the work force. Since the 06-07 school year, the school s Grade reporting (Upper School) and Communication have increased to incorporate Edline as the school's main communication for students, parents, and teachers. We love it and would not have our students at another school!

Posted August 27, 2008
St. Stephen's is a very nurturing environment that happens to have a great academic record. The high school is great and prepares the students for college. SSESH has recently (and is still) undergoing some administrative changes, but so far, the changes have been great! The teachers are very loved by the students.

Posted March 29, 2008

St. Stephen's Episcopal School of Houston
1800 Sul Ross, Houston, TX  77098
Last modified St. Stephen's Episcopal School of Houston is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
St. Stephen's Episcopal School of Houston Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top