No rating

Lutheran South Academy

Private | PK-12 | 670 students

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Sweep tile

Posted February 5, 2010

We have two children attending LSA, one in middle school and one in lower school. We have nothing but praise for the academics, christian environment, and the superior teaching staff! Our 7th grader took the college SAT through the Duke Talent Identification Program and received state recognition. The Middle School staff is fabulous. Teachers are loving of the students and give 100% all the time. Very challenging program, but worth the work! Both the middle and lower school principals are the finest I have seen. We tried public school, LSA has been a blessing for our children.

Posted November 12, 2009

I have a lower school and a middle school student. They have been there 3 years and LSA has been a wonderful choice. The teachers are caring and the academics are challenging. Some parents dislike the middle school because of all the work. It is tough but the kids are ready for high school and beyond when they are done. The sports are great and the coaches are excellent. Middle school teachers are well suited for the age. Literature is a bit much but they will be better for it in the long run. New band teacher and art teacher are awesome! It is a great place to go. Nowhere is perfect.

Posted July 23, 2009

We are on waiting list trying to return after 5 months at a public school. We attended Lutheran South for 7 years. My own poor lack of judgement dealing with the Principal caused me to make a mistake in taking my son out of Lutheran. I can't blame it all on IKE stress but it helped. The school is an excellant place for your child to attend. The Middle School Math Department is the best and my son enjoyed every minute of class. History is also outstanding and on top of the list is the children and how they feel about their school. They cherish it. My son misses Chapel and his friends dearly. The Athletic Department is super and the Coaching Staff in every sport is Top Of The Line. Dr. Kramer is overseeing the transition of the Headmaster. A+++++++ Diana Gray

Posted July 16, 2009

Do not put your child in this school unless the child will attend Lower School or High School. The Lower School is outstanding but the Middle School is the worst I have ever encountered. Some Teachers are great others have no clue. Admin. in MIddle School is the worst. The parent who wrote that bad reviews come from parents that have children performing poorly is just well performing poorly for putting a label on a C-H-I-L-D. Middle School 6th-8th is averagefromTeachers/Student view but Admin. is poor! High School is better but nothing compares to the Lower School. Excellant! Also the Headmaster just left for a better position after being here for a little over a year. Upward mobility strikes again. And the school year 2009-2010 is about to start. Again If it's Middle School Beware! I was warned I did not believe it. Like a worm in an apple.

Posted July 8, 2009

Both of my children attended public school in Pearland. I became frustrated with many things...most notably the stress on TAKS. Lutheran South is a great school with very high expectations of their students and staff. Many times (I think) parents have been dissatisfied with LSA is because their children did not perform well; academic standards are way above those in public school and discipline is stressed. My family made a great decision - we will be starting our 5th year at LSA.

Posted June 4, 2009

I had my children at LSA for 5 years, all in the elementary years. LSA is a mixed bag. On one hand, the teachers are extremely kind and caring. They work hard at developing a nurturing environment where everyone feels loved and appreciated. My primary concern, however, is their academic standards, particularly in the areas of math and science. Their language arts program is wonderful, but in math and science my children were behind their public-school-peers. We eventually left LSA and placed our children in public school. While we definitely missed the kind and caring environment, our children are much more challenged academically in the public schools.

Posted April 14, 2009

For those of you who believe this school is a disappointment or overpriced or bad management you are by sure wrong! This school had brought everyone in each grade level closer together. Great teachers/ and principals. This school is a christian school that is very good at teaching our children great religion. It is worth every penny and that is why LSA is a great school to send your children to! I would recommend it! I have three children here and they love it.

Posted April 4, 2009

This school is a huge disappointment. They should be ashamed to call themselves Christian.

Posted April 4, 2009

This school is overpriced and not worth the money. You are better off in the public school system.

Posted April 2, 2009

The management is getting worse and worse. It's a Christian school with unfair settings.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 6, 2009

This is not a great school by all means. The tuition is far too expensive compare to the academic outcome. You are paying too much for a very so-so school. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 23, 2008

Lutheran South is the best school ever hey im a 14 year old student and i think that its amazing
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 4, 2008

I graduated from LSA in 2005. Having gone there from 6th - 12th grade, I felt so prepared for college. For the parent who thinks LSA doesn't practice their principles of allowing students to be involved, you have to fully put yourself out there as a student. You reap what you sow. LSA taught me so much & even now in college, I hear students who talk about hating their high schools and for me, that just wasn't true. I lov my teachers and still do. They still keep in touch and I fully intend on inviting them all to my wedding (whenever that may be. This school is absolutely amazing and I love it with all my heart.

Posted May 14, 2008

Excellent school & staff. My daughter has attended for 4 years, coming from public school. She has a lot of friends in public school & she is so happy she has the opportunity to attend LSA. The staff is caring and attentive, but also allows her to grow on her own.

Posted January 15, 2008

What an excellent school!! The teacher's are very caring. The principal looks out for all of the students. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 12, 2007

Our children have attended private schools on the East Coast and in the Mid-West. This is an excellent school by national standards. It is Christian and academic. Each student is provided an opportunity to participate. The principals and teachers are very dedicated Christians. They find ways to get the students involved in plays, chapel, sports, and academic competitions. It is an amazing school. We could not be happier.

Posted April 18, 2006

Great atmosphere. Loving teachers.

Posted May 8, 2005

We have found LSA to be a wonderful place for our daughter, who is currently in the second grade. The Christian environment is definitely a plus, and the lower teacher to student ratio helps ensure the student gets the attention he/she needs. LSA follows the Texas educational curriculum.

Posted June 20, 2004

We had an excellent experience at Lutheran South. Our Daughter attendened 6-8th,10&11th (graduated early). She attended 9th in Public school. (CCISD) her grades fell, so we returned her to Lutheran South. (She is an honor Student and graduated with cords a year early) she actually was ahead of her public class mates and in fact her english teacher would ask our daugher questions that she could not answer. Our daughters overall attitude was awesome while attending Lutheran south while at private was noticably affected by her peers. If I had to do it over again, I would have not put her in public school for that year. We have 2 other childern that will attend Lutheran south as well.

Posted February 11, 2004

If you are looking for a school where your student will feel loved and cared for, then LSA is for you. The faculty and staff go out of their way to make students feel good about themselves! Not only are students cared for, but they are being prepared for future leadership roles in society. My family loves LSA... it was the best choice we ever made.

Asian 6% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• LSAC
  • SACS
Fax number
  • (713) 378-9718

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious