No rating

Lutheran South Academy

Private | PK-12 | 670 students

Living in Houston

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $117,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted April 18, 2010

Praise God! We are back in the LSA Middle School. After being on the waiting list for 10 months we are happy to have returned. My son is happy and is thrilled to be back. The teachers at public were great that was not the problem but the hallways to the class were a walk you would never want your child to make even for a week. We had A's and B's but in the classrooms the teachers struggle with the rudeness of the students. Bless their hearts the teachers earn their pay. Drugs are a major problem and the mental and physical torment dealt out by the bully's who run the halls is just beyond words. LSA has a few students with high spirits but they are dealt with as the problem is made known. The Sports Programs are Wonderful! May God Bless LSA! Thank You!

Posted April 16, 2010

I would politely correct that there are two practice rooms (newly installed) for instrumentalist use. My 5th grader uses it almost every day after school. The band director has done a good job of working with what he has - which isn't much. But if you look at how well the high school band is doing you can tell that the guy nows what he is doing - he just obviously needs some help because he has so much to do!

Posted March 8, 2010

LSA is a mixed bag, as another poster pointed out. Lower school is definitely the strongest. Some things to consider if you're thinking about LSA- How big are the class sizes? They may not be significantly smaller than public schools. What percentage of graduates go immediately to a 4 year university? It's not uncommon for LSA grads to go to community college. Fine arts are weak. There is no place to perform (i.e. no theater or auditorium). Performances are in the gym or cafeteria. Neither one has a stage. No practice rooms for instrumentalists. Athletics aren't great, but if your kid wants to be on a team, he/she probably can. Academically, OK, but not extremely rigorous. It's not a prep school, they're more interested in saving your kid's soul. Socially, it's probably better than the local publics. Some great teachers, some not. Seems like a lot of new grad teachers.

Posted February 9, 2010

I don't know what the person is talking about who posted a one star review. She or he did not list any specifics. We just enrolled our 7th grader this '09-'10 school year, entering the brand new Middle School Bldg! It's Feb now and the past 7 plus months dealing with everyone from administration to staff has been wonderful. Challenging work for our son sometimes, but wonderful! The staff is great. My son has some issues with adhd & his teachers have ALL been supportive. You can tell they love the Lord, are very capable and have communicated well with us. They will take a personal interest in your child, this I know! The atmosphere is Christ-centered and positive. Respectful Christian behavior is expected. We came from the Pearland School District and at lSA we feel at home, like nowhere else. Hope this helps!

Posted February 5, 2010

We have two children attending LSA, one in middle school and one in lower school. We have nothing but praise for the academics, christian environment, and the superior teaching staff! Our 7th grader took the college SAT through the Duke Talent Identification Program and received state recognition. The Middle School staff is fabulous. Teachers are loving of the students and give 100% all the time. Very challenging program, but worth the work! Both the middle and lower school principals are the finest I have seen. We tried public school, LSA has been a blessing for our children.

Posted November 12, 2009

I have a lower school and a middle school student. They have been there 3 years and LSA has been a wonderful choice. The teachers are caring and the academics are challenging. Some parents dislike the middle school because of all the work. It is tough but the kids are ready for high school and beyond when they are done. The sports are great and the coaches are excellent. Middle school teachers are well suited for the age. Literature is a bit much but they will be better for it in the long run. New band teacher and art teacher are awesome! It is a great place to go. Nowhere is perfect.

Posted July 23, 2009

We are on waiting list trying to return after 5 months at a public school. We attended Lutheran South for 7 years. My own poor lack of judgement dealing with the Principal caused me to make a mistake in taking my son out of Lutheran. I can't blame it all on IKE stress but it helped. The school is an excellant place for your child to attend. The Middle School Math Department is the best and my son enjoyed every minute of class. History is also outstanding and on top of the list is the children and how they feel about their school. They cherish it. My son misses Chapel and his friends dearly. The Athletic Department is super and the Coaching Staff in every sport is Top Of The Line. Dr. Kramer is overseeing the transition of the Headmaster. A+++++++ Diana Gray

Posted July 16, 2009

Do not put your child in this school unless the child will attend Lower School or High School. The Lower School is outstanding but the Middle School is the worst I have ever encountered. Some Teachers are great others have no clue. Admin. in MIddle School is the worst. The parent who wrote that bad reviews come from parents that have children performing poorly is just well performing poorly for putting a label on a C-H-I-L-D. Middle School 6th-8th is averagefromTeachers/Student view but Admin. is poor! High School is better but nothing compares to the Lower School. Excellant! Also the Headmaster just left for a better position after being here for a little over a year. Upward mobility strikes again. And the school year 2009-2010 is about to start. Again If it's Middle School Beware! I was warned I did not believe it. Like a worm in an apple.

Posted July 8, 2009

Both of my children attended public school in Pearland. I became frustrated with many things...most notably the stress on TAKS. Lutheran South is a great school with very high expectations of their students and staff. Many times (I think) parents have been dissatisfied with LSA is because their children did not perform well; academic standards are way above those in public school and discipline is stressed. My family made a great decision - we will be starting our 5th year at LSA.

Posted June 4, 2009

I had my children at LSA for 5 years, all in the elementary years. LSA is a mixed bag. On one hand, the teachers are extremely kind and caring. They work hard at developing a nurturing environment where everyone feels loved and appreciated. My primary concern, however, is their academic standards, particularly in the areas of math and science. Their language arts program is wonderful, but in math and science my children were behind their public-school-peers. We eventually left LSA and placed our children in public school. While we definitely missed the kind and caring environment, our children are much more challenged academically in the public schools.

Posted April 14, 2009

For those of you who believe this school is a disappointment or overpriced or bad management you are by sure wrong! This school had brought everyone in each grade level closer together. Great teachers/ and principals. This school is a christian school that is very good at teaching our children great religion. It is worth every penny and that is why LSA is a great school to send your children to! I would recommend it! I have three children here and they love it.

Posted April 4, 2009

This school is a huge disappointment. They should be ashamed to call themselves Christian.

Posted April 4, 2009

This school is overpriced and not worth the money. You are better off in the public school system.

Posted April 2, 2009

The management is getting worse and worse. It's a Christian school with unfair settings.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 6, 2009

This is not a great school by all means. The tuition is far too expensive compare to the academic outcome. You are paying too much for a very so-so school. I do not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 23, 2008

Lutheran South is the best school ever hey im a 14 year old student and i think that its amazing
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 4, 2008

I graduated from LSA in 2005. Having gone there from 6th - 12th grade, I felt so prepared for college. For the parent who thinks LSA doesn't practice their principles of allowing students to be involved, you have to fully put yourself out there as a student. You reap what you sow. LSA taught me so much & even now in college, I hear students who talk about hating their high schools and for me, that just wasn't true. I lov my teachers and still do. They still keep in touch and I fully intend on inviting them all to my wedding (whenever that may be. This school is absolutely amazing and I love it with all my heart.

Posted May 14, 2008

Excellent school & staff. My daughter has attended for 4 years, coming from public school. She has a lot of friends in public school & she is so happy she has the opportunity to attend LSA. The staff is caring and attentive, but also allows her to grow on her own.

Posted January 15, 2008

What an excellent school!! The teacher's are very caring. The principal looks out for all of the students. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 12, 2007

Our children have attended private schools on the East Coast and in the Mid-West. This is an excellent school by national standards. It is Christian and academic. Each student is provided an opportunity to participate. The principals and teachers are very dedicated Christians. They find ways to get the students involved in plays, chapel, sports, and academic competitions. It is an amazing school. We could not be happier.

Asian or Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• LSAC
  • SACS
Fax number
  • (713) 378-9718

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious