Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I am very disappointed with this school and their kindergarten program. The children are expected to sit at desks all day, which by the way it is long, from 7:45am to 5:00pm (I know it's meant to help children of parents with long work days, but if you don't need it, you should be able to opt out). Five year old children should not be sitting all day! Studies show that at this age, play is crucial to their learning. They are also getting tested, this morning I walked in the classroom and the teacher was showing them how to circle their answers on a test!! I choose this school because our assigned school is terrible, but I have some tough decisions to make this school years. Also, the student/teacher ratio is too high for teachers to be involved with each student - there are easily more than 20 students in my daughter's classroom. She always asks me why they don't get to go outside to play in the playground and it is infuriating. They need to relook all their programs!

My son is in prek 4 and he has learned so much this year. The reason I did not give them 5 stars are because of a few concerns I have. Before I mention the very few issues I have to say I admire all of the staff that works at the Coral Campus. Mrs. Marsh the new principal has attended to my needs and concerns as it requires a great deal of patience to work with four year olds their teachers and the parents. I feel that unfortunately they are understaffed and do not have enough resources for the children. I'd like to see them have a computer room and physical education teacher and have the kids go to educational or fun field trips. The school needs alot more funding because the school and these kids deserve it. It breaks my heart to have him there from 7:45 - 4:45 knowing he doesn't have extra curricular classes or more fun things to do. They should reduce the hours or build a playground at least so the kids can be kids and play. Academically 100% great not in favor of dual language or bilingual because testing for the future will not require them to speak spanish. I say they use the extra money for bilingual or dual into the above mentioned items.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I PUT MY DAUGHTER IN THIS SCHOOL SINCE SHE WAS 3 YEARS AND SHE ONLY SPOKE SPANISH. IN LESS THEN 4 MONTHS MY DAUGHTER WAS SPEAKING ENGLISH BETTER THEN ME. THIS IS A WONDERFUL SCHOOL AND YES IT GETS FULL REALLY FAST. MY DAUGHTER WAS ON THE WAITING LIST AND LUCKY ENOUGH SHE WAS ADMITTED AND I BEEN VERY GREATFUL BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 4 AND GOING TO KINDERGRADER THIS YEAR AND SHE ALREADY KNOWS HOW TO READ, MATH, AND KNOW HER MONTH OF THE YEAR, THE DAY OF THE WEEKS AND SHE IS REALLY ADVANCE. I AM SO GREATFUL TO ALL THE TEACHER THAT PUT ALOT OF EFFORT TO TEACHER OUR STUDENT AND SPECIAL THANKS TO MRS. RITA LAVRONE.. SHE IS A WONDERFUL AND VERY VERY VERY PATIENCE TEACHER...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.

BEST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD! I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE TEACHERS. WONDERFUL TEACHER! LOVE THIS SCHOOL! THANK YOU MRS. R. LOVRONE FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK FOR THE PK-4 STUDENTS!

This is a great school. My children go here and I love the staff, teachers and everyone else. Everyone is helpful and they work really hard to help the children learn. I love the fact that the children can stay there until 5 p.m. instead of having to pay for after school care.

I am a student in this school, and it really think this school has done a great work teaching me... If your children haven't gone to this school I recommend you to go this school...

I really think it's a great school. My daughter has noticed the difference in the way she is learning, The teachers actually take the time to make sure their students understand what they are learning before they move on. Also love the attention given to all students and the discipline!

Some of the teachers are really nice and do care. Some I couldn't believe they were even teachers. Now, my problem is the people who work in the office. They are horrible with attitudes and they think they can just talk anyway to us parents. I was going to take them out of that school but who stopped me was a my kid last yr teacher that works there. They need new office staff members without attitudes and who care. I am giving this school one more try. If the staff office does it again. I'm calling someone higher to check this school out. Also, even though I have a full time job and my husband they think we have extra money. We live paycheck to paycheck and I hate when they tell us we have to buy so many school supplies so they can share it with the whole classroom. I barely had money for my kids supplies. Then they ask us for $200.00 dollars or our kids can't go to field trips. In reality we are paying for the field trips because we are giving them the money that it says on the permission slip. I hope HGA get better.

My kids attended the Coral campus and after reading some of the reviews from 2009 and back, being 2013, I think they have realized their mistakes and corrected them. I'm so glad my kids are here. The principle is always around and calls back from her cell phone. I have the teachers cell phone numbers and have never had a problem getting anything across or fixing a problem. I will admit that the office staff sometimes may be a little unorganized. But the teachers are great and classroom set ups are amazing for my kids anyway. They are all in a brand new building while the lunch may not always be great, I remember going to school and not liking the lunch then either...So that seems to be a problem for decades. The kids stay after school and are provided with an afternoon snack. Parents are asked to volunteer and honestly from one parent to another if your are afraid or have concerns mention them during registration and trust me they will remember you. So far I have had no problems with HGA Evergreen or Coral campus. (Evergreen was the campus for summer school)

Horrible administration who doesn't care about teachers. Kids' breakfasts and lunches consist of hamburgers and pizzas every day. Very narrow-minded people work there. No space for creativity and encouraging great minds. Do not take your child there!

Last modified Houston Gateway Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.