Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Houston Gateway Academy 4

Posted January 26, 2016
My son is in prek 4 and he has learned so much this year. The reason I did not give them 5 stars are because of a few concerns I have. Before I mention the very few issues I have to say I admire all of the staff that works at the Coral Campus. Mrs. Marsh the new principal has attended to my needs and concerns as it requires a great deal of patience to work with four year olds their teachers and the parents. I feel that unfortunately they are understaffed and do not have enough resources for the children. I'd like to see them have a computer room and physical education teacher and have the kids go to educational or fun field trips. The school needs alot more funding because the school and these kids deserve it. It breaks my heart to have him there from 7:45 - 4:45 knowing he doesn't have extra curricular classes or more fun things to do. They should reduce the hours or build a playground at least so the kids can be kids and play. Academically 100% great not in favor of dual language or bilingual because testing for the future will not require them to speak spanish. I say they use the extra money for bilingual or dual into the above mentioned items.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 22, 2015
I PUT MY DAUGHTER IN THIS SCHOOL SINCE SHE WAS 3 YEARS AND SHE ONLY SPOKE SPANISH. IN LESS THEN 4 MONTHS MY DAUGHTER WAS SPEAKING ENGLISH BETTER THEN ME. THIS IS A WONDERFUL SCHOOL AND YES IT GETS FULL REALLY FAST. MY DAUGHTER WAS ON THE WAITING LIST AND LUCKY ENOUGH SHE WAS ADMITTED AND I BEEN VERY GREATFUL BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 4 AND GOING TO KINDERGRADER THIS YEAR AND SHE ALREADY KNOWS HOW TO READ, MATH, AND KNOW HER MONTH OF THE YEAR, THE DAY OF THE WEEKS AND SHE IS REALLY ADVANCE. I AM SO GREATFUL TO ALL THE TEACHER THAT PUT ALOT OF EFFORT TO TEACHER OUR STUDENT AND SPECIAL THANKS TO MRS. RITA LAVRONE.. SHE IS A WONDERFUL AND VERY VERY VERY PATIENCE TEACHER...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK.

Posted July 22, 2015
BEST SCHOOL IN THE WORLD! I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE TEACHERS. WONDERFUL TEACHER! LOVE THIS SCHOOL! THANK YOU MRS. R. LOVRONE FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK FOR THE PK-4 STUDENTS!

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted June 18, 2015
My child is not a student here. I called to get some information on getting my child in this school. The lady I spoke to transfer me to another lady which I didn't get their names was rude. I ask how can I get my child enrolled and if she can fax me am enrollment form. Her response was we have a waiting list anyways. So basically I can't enroll my child here. There was so many other ways she could have said that. So now I'm on a search to look for another middle school in the area.

Posted June 01, 2015
This is a great school. My children go here and I love the staff, teachers and everyone else. Everyone is helpful and they work really hard to help the children learn. I love the fact that the children can stay there until 5 p.m. instead of having to pay for after school care.

Posted September 27, 2014
I am a student in this school, and it really think this school has done a great work teaching me... If your children haven't gone to this school I recommend you to go this school...

Houston Gateway Academy 4

Posted September 26, 2013
I really think it's a great school. My daughter has noticed the difference in the way she is learning, The teachers actually take the time to make sure their students understand what they are learning before they move on. Also love the attention given to all students and the discipline!

Houston Gateway Academy 3

Posted August 14, 2013
Some of the teachers are really nice and do care. Some I couldn't believe they were even teachers. Now, my problem is the people who work in the office. They are horrible with attitudes and they think they can just talk anyway to us parents. I was going to take them out of that school but who stopped me was a my kid last yr teacher that works there. They need new office staff members without attitudes and who care. I am giving this school one more try. If the staff office does it again. I'm calling someone higher to check this school out. Also, even though I have a full time job and my husband they think we have extra money. We live paycheck to paycheck and I hate when they tell us we have to buy so many school supplies so they can share it with the whole classroom. I barely had money for my kids supplies. Then they ask us for $200.00 dollars or our kids can't go to field trips. In reality we are paying for the field trips because we are giving them the money that it says on the permission slip. I hope HGA get better.

Posted July 24, 2013
My kids attended the Coral campus and after reading some of the reviews from 2009 and back, being 2013, I think they have realized their mistakes and corrected them. I'm so glad my kids are here. The principle is always around and calls back from her cell phone. I have the teachers cell phone numbers and have never had a problem getting anything across or fixing a problem. I will admit that the office staff sometimes may be a little unorganized. But the teachers are great and classroom set ups are amazing for my kids anyway. They are all in a brand new building while the lunch may not always be great, I remember going to school and not liking the lunch then either...So that seems to be a problem for decades. The kids stay after school and are provided with an afternoon snack. Parents are asked to volunteer and honestly from one parent to another if your are afraid or have concerns mention them during registration and trust me they will remember you. So far I have had no problems with HGA Evergreen or Coral campus. (Evergreen was the campus for summer school)

Houston Gateway Academy 1

Posted June 09, 2013
Horrible administration who doesn't care about teachers. Kids' breakfasts and lunches consist of hamburgers and pizzas every day. Very narrow-minded people work there. No space for creativity and encouraging great minds. Do not take your child there!

3400 Evergreen Drive, Houston, TX  77087
Last modified Houston Gateway Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Houston Gateway Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top