Posted September 20, 2014
All the people who give carnegie negative reviews just didn't work hard enough. I'm a freshman and although the workload is a lot everyone is so supportive and I've never been happier. If you are willing to work hard then carnegie is perfect for you. But if you are lazy and have a bad attitude then you're the problem, not the school. Carnegie give students amazing opportunities that you can't get elsewhere. Wonder why the ratings are so high? Wonder why every single student that goes to Carnegie goes to college? Because the school is phenomenal. I wouldn't want to go to any other high school.

Posted May 06, 2014
That "deep as an ocean" determination ended my life. I suggest you don't speak from your point of view. I did strive, you just don't know my story ..... Everyone of those kids that go to Carnegie do not want to fail their parents. "Carnegie is not for every kid." What an excuse! Any school can be challenging, or even the SAME as CVHS. A slot from another child being taken? That slot gets filled up and emptied every year. While I was there my teacher told the whole class that what cvhs promises is not true, over here at Lamar I get an IB dipolma. What is your child getting at CVHS? Over here, I'm getting offered to go to Harvard & other great colleges for free just because of my grades now. What does CVHS offer? You didn't think I didn't strive to do my very best? I did! You don't think I don't suffer?! Be a student for a year over there, and you will see what I'm talking about. Please don't refer to my review again. Thank you for your good luck. Good luck to your child at Carnege, and I really mean it. If he or she is still there - WOW - and I'm serious, good luck. After all these are JUST opinions, so....

Posted May 02, 2014
Carnegie Vanguard is a challenging learning institution. It is not a place for those who lack 'deep as an ocean' determination. I feel very little compassion for the student who posted that CVHS is the worse school they ever attended. Sounds like sour grapes to me. The attitude reflected in your harsh and inaccurate assessment of Carnegie confirms that you did not belong there in the first place. Carnegie is not for every student. It is great that you are happy at Lamar. I too wish you'd gone there first instead of taking a slot away from another child who perhaps would have done better with the Carnegie experience than yourself. No matter where you are young lady, always strive to do your best. If you do that, than the establishment through which you are trying to matriculate will be irrelevant. It's your character and committment that will see you through and it is the same attributes that will see the current Carnegie students through as well. Good luck to you. Sincerely, A proud and pleased Parent of a CVHS sophomore

Posted April 24, 2014
This has been the WORSE school that I ever attended in my life. NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL!!!!!! While I was there, I had no social life at all, got really sick & had a medical condition, the teachers never believed me when I was sick, I couldn't walk, & they made me use the stairs. I would sleep 'till 3 A.M, you may not see it now, but wait until your kid comes home crying about hw & projects, I cried so many times. The teachers do not, AT ALL, motivate the kids. Some of these teachers, especially 9th/10th grade teachers are SASSY! I had problems w/ 2 of them. It only took for them to say something & the rest of the staff hated me. LIFE WAS IMPOSSIBLE AT CVHS! I would rate this school a ZERO if I could. I'm at Lamar now & I can say LAMAR IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANY SCHOOL. What I would give to start freshman year again, but in Lamar. CVHS is horrible, the staff are ughhhh, & the main man there ... oh god. Please parents, don't be influenced by the rankings, I am a student who is telling you the truth about CVHS. If you don't believe me, see for yourself when your kid enters that school. You have no social life or time for anything, not even sleep. Friends are what motivates you.

Posted August 08, 2013
I am a recent graduate of CVHS and I recommend it with some reservations. The curriculum is constructed in order to expose students to new perspectives and students leave more knowledgeable and articulate than they were when they arrived (but this is no thanks to the Science & Math departments). Instead of finding better ways to teach students who are struggling in science and math, the school relies on remedial programs like Grad Lab & Math Models to help the students graduate. That said, the demographic composition of the more advanced classes (i.e. AP Calculus AB & BC and AP Physics C) exemplify the racial achievement gap which exists at every grade level. CVHS is a haven for very specific students and if you don t like it or are unable to stay afloat academically, you should transfer. In fact, if after your 1st semester you fail 2+ classes, it s in your best interest to transfer. Honestly, I am satisfied with the time that I spent at Carnegie and the lessons I learned while I was there. Although the school may not have the most virtuous student body (there s an abject cheating problem), students tend to leave more socially responsible and willing to serve their community.

Posted July 28, 2013
As a recent Carnegie (CVHS) grad, I believe it s an excellent school, and the small student body is a plus! Carnegie creates an environment for students to excel academically and allows those who are not as socially successful to find their niche. I felt that most of my teachers at CVHS weren t very good. The Math and Science departments are lacking, and many CVHS students struggle to pass these classes with minimal assistance from their teachers. However, the English and Social Studies departments at CVHS are very strong. While students should be mature enough to advocate for themselves, the school doesn t do enough to assist struggling students (who tend to be less privileged), hence its high attrition rate. Many students find the workload stressful and unmanageable. Thus, the spirit of academic dishonesty thrives at CVHS, and the administration needs to do more to address cheating. CVHS has numerous extracurricular offerings, including a wonderful theater program, but I wish the administration was more supportive of these activities. Most students do not come to CVHS expecting athletic expertise, but our soccer and Varsity volleyball teams are skilled in their leagues.

Posted July 06, 2013
Do not rest on the on top ranked schools reports. Yes, bright kids go to Carnegie, but are they encouraged to be positive people or negative, over thinking, non-social kids who really do not understand what this life and world is about? Be wary of this situation. Your child will be attending this school more hours than you can see and influence them - each day of the week. Too bad this school cannot fuel a more positive thinking environment, if they did, it could be a school with excellent output. Look at which colleges actually recruit here, you may be disappointed considering the hype. When you tour the school, stop and talk to a student or three and see what type of attitude they have. In this world of so much negative thinking, it would be nice to see more of a positive attitude. In our experience, Carnegie administration and staff does not embody much positive thinking or positive teaching. We rate the school one star because it does not live up to expectation in a number of ways.

Carnegie Vanguard High School 2

Posted July 04, 2013
Solid academics, extremely liberal. Not well rounded. Students work hard but extracurricular opportunities are very limited and not encouraged. If you are looking to help develop a well rounded student that will have a solid college application with academics and all of the outside important activities that build a teen into a mature and responsible, contributing young adult, this may not be the school for you. Consider these things carefully. There are a lot of things on paper but not action regarding opportunities to build the entire person. Houston has many great public and private high schools, carefully consider a number of them ESPECIALLY if your child is exceptionally bright. There is a negative side to everything of course. Just consider the entire package - if your child is not eager to become involved, this school will not encourage it. But they do allow the student to feel that it will all work out because they attend "Carnegie". Not true. Speak to college recruiters to get a real understanding of what they expect. And then work with your student carefully from there. Good luck- High School can be a great journey - keep it that way!

Posted May 28, 2013
As a graduating senior, I feel that i should leave a review for any future rhinos that are considering this school. As a person that cares about the well being of others, I'd like to warn you of the dangers first. If you don't like doing homework,don't like reading long textbook chapters in your "free time", and like being considered an intelligent person, DO NOT consider Carnegie. At this school, there WILL be someone that is smarter than you. You can and will work yourself to the point of tears at least once a month if you stay all four years. But you will not suffer alone. That's what makes Carnegie different. Every other student understands your pain. They are right there with you, staying up all night finishing a research paper due in the morning and sleeping next to you in class the next day. I can honestly say that without the love and support of my brothers and sisters, I would have died of a stress induced heart attack years ago, but just like a struggling family, my fellow Carnegeeks picked me up, bandaged my broken pride, and forced me to walk on with them. And even now as I type this review, I cannot help but cry.I will always love my Carnegie family. Carnegeek 4 Life!

Posted May 21, 2013
There are many factors to be consider a good high shcool. CVHS is a great shcool. But, one importmant factor, is, what kind of colleges are open to CVHS seniors? Are those senior really qualified for GT? Seems for me that not many students are accepted to top collages. To qualified for GT HS, we need to consider the college admission. Thanks for the great job from CVHS administration. We are hoping teachers and administrative will do better. Thanks CVHS!

Carnegie Vanguard High School
1501 Taft Street, Houston, TX  77019
Last modified Carnegie Vanguard High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carnegie Vanguard High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top