Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 24, 2015
The focus on the learning and critical thinking process and very small class size teaches students to own their work and really get to know their teachers. No one in this school will skate through unnoticed. Because of that, for a student to be successful, they must find their own distinct voice. That voice will become unmistakably theirs which absolutely encourages honesty and integrity. As for fairness, the way they encourage tolerance can only lead to fairness among students. The environment makes it "uncool" to be intolerant of differences. When it comes to teachers, I have seen nothing that would indicate any unfairness or favoritism. Every student in this school is identified as gifted & talented so the spectrum of intellectual ability is smaller that most other public schools. They know each of these students is here because they are smart and ready to learn.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 24, 2015
The commitment level of the teachers at CVHS is amazing! They make themselves available before and after school as well as during lunch to help anyone. Our daughter hasn't had a teacher yet who she didn't feel genuinely cared about how well she understands the work, not just being able to memorize and recite.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 24, 2015
I have trouble answering this question. My daughter has 3-6 hours of homework per night. But we expected that. It is an academic college prep focused high school. And she is a perfectionist, so she's not quick. She's really good, but definitely not fast when it comes to homework. If you are prepared for that much homework, you won't be bothered by it. But if you aren't, you would definitely say there is too much. We were prepared.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 24, 2015
This is a really tough school, academically speaking. Teachers are available before and after school as well as at lunch. They encourage students not to give up. They are there to help them work through things (rather than just memorize and recite) so they understand and retain it long term. Amazing teachers and staff at this school!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 24, 2015
The best example of this is that they are required to fulfill at least 100 hours of community service in order to graduate.

Posted September 24, 2015
My daughter attends CVHS and we are incredibly happy with it! It a phenomenal school! If your child doesn't thrive in a rigorous, intellectual, philosophical environment, this isn't the school for them. In many classes, they are challenged to look for the grey areas, not just the black and white. They are taught to research and form their own opinions rather than just memorize answers. There is plenty of memorization too, but definitely more emphasis on critical thinking that I expected from a high school. It is much more of a college atmosphere than I expected. There are dozens of clubs and organizations to join. If your student wants a heavy sports emphasis, again this isn't the school for them. There are sports, they have a good baseball team, decent volleyball team, etc. But they aren't going to be in contention for a state championship in sports...debate or robotics maybe, not sports. One more thing, they foster tolerance (race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) and have created an environment where it's cool to be smart and contrarian. If your student is LGBT, a student of color, from another country, etc. I think you will find that the only thing that rules the school is respect and tolerance for difference. There is no majority at CVHS. The education that our daughter is receiving is as good as ANY private high school education she could hope for and it's free...and she attended private school in another city so we actually have some point of reference. It is very difficult to get in, but completely worth it! We couldn't be happier with her choice! If you want your child to attend CVHS, make sure they focus on middle school grades, AP classes and standardized test performance. It is 100% gifted & talented identified students, so getting them started in middle school is important.

Carnegie Vanguard High School 4

Posted April 30, 2015
There are so many positive things to say about CVHS. However, after 3 years at CVHS ive noticed an issue that has to be pointed out. Just like a great receptionist with a business, hotel or any institution that deals with the public, can make or break an image, the same holds true for CVHS. I have personally experienced and observed the significant gap in the reputation of the school and the attitudes and conduct of the front office staff. some intensive customer service training is desperately needed. Rarely do I get a smile when i walk into the front office. Its all very operational with rules and policies and such. The school administration as a whole fails to realize the impact the front office staff has on the schools image. I cannot begin to count the times I have walked away from the front office scratching my head wondering how this continues to persist. In my opinion, the front staff needs a big shift in perspective in viewing the students, parents and community as their customer.

Posted September 20, 2014
All the people who give carnegie negative reviews just didn't work hard enough. I'm a freshman and although the workload is a lot everyone is so supportive and I've never been happier. If you are willing to work hard then carnegie is perfect for you. But if you are lazy and have a bad attitude then you're the problem, not the school. Carnegie give students amazing opportunities that you can't get elsewhere. Wonder why the ratings are so high? Wonder why every single student that goes to Carnegie goes to college? Because the school is phenomenal. I wouldn't want to go to any other high school.

Carnegie Vanguard High School 1

Posted May 06, 2014
That "deep as an ocean" determination ended my life. I suggest you don't speak from your point of view. I did strive, you just don't know my story ..... Everyone of those kids that go to Carnegie do not want to fail their parents. "Carnegie is not for every kid." What an excuse! Any school can be challenging, or even the SAME as CVHS. A slot from another child being taken? That slot gets filled up and emptied every year. While I was there my teacher told the whole class that what cvhs promises is not true, over here at Lamar I get an IB dipolma. What is your child getting at CVHS? Over here, I'm getting offered to go to Harvard & other great colleges for free just because of my grades now. What does CVHS offer? You didn't think I didn't strive to do my very best? I did! You don't think I don't suffer?! Be a student for a year over there, and you will see what I'm talking about. Please don't refer to my review again. Thank you for your good luck. Good luck to your child at Carnege, and I really mean it. If he or she is still there - WOW - and I'm serious, good luck. After all these are JUST opinions, so....

Posted May 02, 2014
Carnegie Vanguard is a challenging learning institution. It is not a place for those who lack 'deep as an ocean' determination. I feel very little compassion for the student who posted that CVHS is the worse school they ever attended. Sounds like sour grapes to me. The attitude reflected in your harsh and inaccurate assessment of Carnegie confirms that you did not belong there in the first place. Carnegie is not for every student. It is great that you are happy at Lamar. I too wish you'd gone there first instead of taking a slot away from another child who perhaps would have done better with the Carnegie experience than yourself. No matter where you are young lady, always strive to do your best. If you do that, than the establishment through which you are trying to matriculate will be irrelevant. It's your character and committment that will see you through and it is the same attributes that will see the current Carnegie students through as well. Good luck to you. Sincerely, A proud and pleased Parent of a CVHS sophomore

1501 Taft Street, Houston, TX  77019
Last modified Carnegie Vanguard High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Carnegie Vanguard High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top