Irving High School

Public | 9-12 | 2373 students

Posted April 28, 2014

Love it it's the best school in Irving Texas so go to Irving high is the best you will have lots of fun
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 24, 2014

I am a sophomore here at Irving High, and let me give an example of my 1 star. In my World History class (which is honors) we can do literally nothing and I mean nothing, the teacher will not care and he just lectures on for 4 days (I actually counted, no papers, nothing). Pretty much to sum up Irving high : Academics are horrid, Sports are everything, Unless you have honors classes the teachers don't really care. Also in this school SPRINGBOARD is implemented, SpringBoard is a Black and white english class book, and my god it will kill your childs creativity like no other. None of my teachers during the 2 years i have attended have had fun lessons that where interactive (Yes you may not belive me) but the reason why?? THE PRINCIPALS ARE FORCING SpringBoard!! Ever since it has been implemented the grades have statistically dropped!! Now what type of "leader" or principal is going to allow that? I'm done with my rant, please do not enroll your child at Irving High school.

Posted February 20, 2014

This school is absolutely terrible. The administrators are rude, non understanding and they talk down onto the students as if they're idiots. If I could rate below a one star I would.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 28, 2013

Good school. Not as good as MacArthur but has a lot of school spirit and great, dedicated teachers. Very good VP's!! I can't say the same for the principal, I haven't really seen her at many school events.

Posted October 13, 2009

I loved Irving High! I just graduated there, and it was such a great experience. All my teachers motivated me to keep on going to school as far as i could go. They told me to never let anyone stop me from accomplishing my goals and dream. I would definitely recomd this school to everoone trying to find a school, that really cares. and all those other negative comments, well every school can have a bad reputation, but you wont know until you see what it's like. And all of my teachers motivated me so much, and i was in all regular classes. NOW I'M IN COLLEGE AND ALL THANKS TO IRVING HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS!!!

Posted September 2, 2009

I am a freshman and i already love this school!!!

Posted February 8, 2009

I am a current student at Irving High School, and this school could be much better, the teachers here could honestly care less unless you are in an honors class or AP classes. This school is so concerned with sports that most of the fine arts departments are overlooked, something is always broken in this school and the prinicpals are always on everyones case on unimportant things instead of trying to deal with bigger problems. I would say that there is a lot of issues that this school needs to resolve and if I could go to another high school I would.

Posted January 29, 2008

Irving High is the best possible place for my son. He is exposed to diversity, great teachers, superior academics, and traditional school spirit. He will be ready for the world as it really is.

Posted September 3, 2007

I'm a student in Irving High School and I have to say that the school is going terribly downhill. I might sound like a student that just wants to bash her school, but I actually am interested in learning, and Irving High isn't the best place. There's no interest in academics in Irving High, only sports. The fine arts department and other electives get no attention on a school that only worries about athleticism. Teachers there are great, but sadly only Pre-AP and AP classes are worthwhile since regular classes feel like a prison. There's also a lot of gang issues going on between the students, and there's no discipline in the school. Because of the gang problems, the students that value their education are being treated like delinquents. There's much room for improvement in this school, and it would be better if those in charge actually took action.

Posted June 26, 2007

As a minority parent of IHS students, I am disappointed with several aspects of the school, including overall teacher quality, low parental involvement and lack of diversity. I am a very involved parent and have encouraged others to be involved as well, only to be slighted by some teachers/coaches who think I or others should not be as involved, and slighted by some parents who feel control should be maintained by a select few.There are a handful of wonderful teachers here but the overall teacher quality needs improvement.I have regretted enrolling my children at IHS, but have encouraged them to take advantage of every opportunity that exists there. And if it does not exist, create one! If IHS is to be the quality school that it once was, change is evident and necessary. Encourage more consistent parental involvement, improve teacher quality, and show the diversity of the student body!

Posted May 8, 2006

My son has attended Irving High School almost two years now and I regret ever enrolling him. In the Fall, he will go to live with his father and attend JJ Pierce in Richardson (a recognized TAKS school). The amount of petty crime and violence has increased significantly in the past two years. There is no 'real world' prep for college at Irving High.

Posted March 24, 2006

As with most schools, you get out what you put in. If you work hard, not only in your work, but in finding the best teachers, you'll have a good experience. I only encountered one teacher that I felt didn't know the subject matter that well and I believe she's now retired. Parents were involved but not intrusive for the most part. I never felt like the parents were running the school. As a student, you've got pretty much every extracurricular activity available. Weaknesses: English program is very structured and they got rid of the creative English class in my Sophomore year, a big disappointment. Laptop for every child liable to cause lots of distractions and take emphasis off of the really important material. It's good to learn how to look something up, but much better to already know it.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 7, 2005

My two sons attend Irving High and they love it! The pride at Irving High is extremly high and they have reason for it. It's really a great school.

Posted February 1, 2004

I am a parent. However, my children do not attend the school. I was a student there from 1993-1997. It was the best school. They had very caring and highly intellegant staff, the extra curricular activities kept me busy & I was just overall satisfied with the school in general. We no longer live in the DFW area. However, if we move back by the time my 10yr old daughter and 2 & 1/2 yr old son get to high school, they will for sure be attending Irving High if it upholds the excellence when I attended!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 15, 2003

I am a parent at Irving High School and I couldn't be more proud of where my son goes to school. This perhaps the best high school that my son could have ever gone to. Every student has their own laptop to use during the school year! School pride is overflowing from this school! We are also Region Champs in Football in the 2003 season!

Posted August 26, 2003

I had two sons attend this school and felt they received the help needed when asked and disciplinary action was adequate. There are a variety of special activities for students to get involved in and advanced classes for the advanced level students to attend. The teachers and staff were wonderful. My sons have since graduated and are still proud of attending Irving High.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

639 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

626 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

522 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

509 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

509 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

510 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

431 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education81%
Limited English proficient (LEP)96%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Academically Acceptable".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

380 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

519 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

646 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

663 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

502 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

512 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

635 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

526 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher resources

Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options