Katy, TX

Griffin Elementary School 3

Posted April 09, 2015
Our son spent 3 years on this school. Teachers are nice but the front desk ladies are very rude, including the assistant principal. I believe the good education is more because the students come from families very involved rather than Katy ISD approach. Math classes are based mainly in repetitive worksheets. The program for Gifted and Talent was great.

Posted February 26, 2015
This is our first year at Griffin and we LOVE it! I have found the many extra activities that the fundraising supports to be a superb addition an already excellent public education! The fundraising the school partakes in supports fun activities such as Popcorn Fridays, School Store (which by the way we use to TEACH our children about earning money and managing it wisely, we've also used it as an opportunity to teach about generosity as they purchase things for OTHERS), Science Nights, Math Nights, and many many more FUN and EDUCATIONAL events. Our children are excited about these fun events and it gets them pumped up for school. I feel the staff at Griffin have been warm, loving and patient when dealing with my son. They encourage parental involvement and a COMMUNITY approach to education. They teach more than just math, science, reading they teach what it takes to build CHARACTER and help these children form into the best little people they can be. Two thumbs up in my opinion!

Griffin Elementary School 3

Posted November 13, 2014
I am tired that the school is asking for money all the time. They always say that it is optional but the kids return to school with their brains washed asking and begin for money for everything. Why do the teachers inform to the kids the possible contributions? Let the parent decide! For example, is it necessary have a School Store? why my little kids need to learn how to buy silly toys and learn how to spend money unnecessary? I am no happy at all.

Posted September 29, 2014
The principal talks down to parents! I am an adult and your equal not a little kid treat me as such when I enter your school. Not able deal well with children who do not fit their mold.
6 people found this helpful

Posted June 27, 2014
I feel compelled to refute the last review before this one that states the school continually asks for money and then awards children whose families donate. The writer also asks "where does the money go?" Most fundraisers are planned by the PTA, not the school. Like all schools, Griffin PTA raises funds to support additional resources - these include purchasing smart boards and other technology for classrooms, developing a garden, hosting teacher appreciation events, and planning fun celebratory events for all the children. The school is blessed with a team of industrious parent volunteers who donate countless hours so staff can focus on teaching. If any parent wants to know "where the money goes" they should simply contact the PTA and they information is readily available. What's more, the school has a focus on service learning so often donations are used towards helping others in the community and around the world. Yes, there is an auction at the annual fundraiser where parents can bid for items (including "first in line in carpool". ) It's a very successful fundraiser since the school is situated among a community generous both financially and with their time.

Posted April 30, 2014
The school's main intention is to extract $$$ from parents. Every week there is something or the other to extract $$$. The school plays with children's psychology by awarding students that contribute the most $$$ to the school. Horrible staff and poor parking - pick up and drop off. The school has an auction system for efficient pick up and drop off. Another way to make $$$. Where does this money go?

Posted October 28, 2012
My children have been at Griffin for 4 years now and, with the exception of the over-crowding last year, we are very pleased with the education our children are receiving. The school is very good about keeping parents abreast of curricular changes and answering any questions we may have. To round out our experience, we have been extremely fortunate to have exceptional teachers. I have spoken to parents of children who were transferred to Griffin through the redistricting last year. They have all had positive things to say, as well.

Posted October 16, 2011
Simply put, this school is overcrowded as are ALL elementary schools in the Cinco Ranch West area. Why parents continue to move to this area and cram their kids into schools way over capcity blows my mind.

Griffin Elementary School

Posted October 13, 2010
It is a fantastic school. Kids are inspired everyday.

Posted April 22, 2010
This is a great school with a strong focus on academics. The teachers are very caring and help the children give their best. They are rather structured but I think for a good reason. Parents are expected to be very involved with their children's education, which is great. They have and use the resources to bring out the best in your children. Their librarian is great and so is their counselor. The PTA is very active and friendly, I am not a member though. As for the carpool, I have not had issues. We've been in other public schools where kids were not placed in your car like at Griffin, but you had to park and pick them from inside the school (sounds simple but in a cold, rainy climate and younger siblings this can become a journey).

Griffin Elementary School
7800 South Fry Road, Katy, TX  77494
Last modified Griffin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Griffin Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top