Bad
Good

We moved into the area and this is my son's first year. My son was in the gifted program before in HISD but since KISD has its own rules he didn't qualify for the gifted program here. He is bored out his mind plus he can't seem to make friends at this school since most of the kids have been friends since kindergarten they aren't too welcoming to new comers. The teachers and principal and assistant principals have all been very friendly and helpful to him with the exception of one teacher in the carline which constantly yells at my son despite knowing that he has hearing loss and even has written him up for it! Until recently they added a math & science club but aside from this, this school is seriously lacking extra curricular activities. My son was involved in UIL music, math, solo acting, the math rainbow challenge, Marathon Kids etc and this school participates in none of the above. Additionally they have to bring their own electronic devices to school because they don't have enough tablets for the classroom. We also don't like that the school is carpeted since he has eczema and asthma. He does like his teachers and the work is fairly easy for him. I also like the school's weekly newsletter and emails from the teachers to let you know what's going on in the school and classroom. They also have an excellent PTA which organizes a lot of fun activities. They also have a Watch Dogs program for dads.

Our son spent 3 years on this school. Teachers are nice but the front desk ladies are very rude, including the assistant principal. I believe the good education is more because the students come from families very involved rather than Katy ISD approach. Math classes are based mainly in repetitive worksheets. The program for Gifted and Talent was great.

This is our first year at Griffin and we LOVE it! I have found the many extra activities that the fundraising supports to be a superb addition an already excellent public education! The fundraising the school partakes in supports fun activities such as Popcorn Fridays, School Store (which by the way we use to TEACH our children about earning money and managing it wisely, we've also used it as an opportunity to teach about generosity as they purchase things for OTHERS), Science Nights, Math Nights, and many many more FUN and EDUCATIONAL events. Our children are excited about these fun events and it gets them pumped up for school. I feel the staff at Griffin have been warm, loving and patient when dealing with my son. They encourage parental involvement and a COMMUNITY approach to education. They teach more than just math, science, reading they teach what it takes to build CHARACTER and help these children form into the best little people they can be. Two thumbs up in my opinion!

I am tired that the school is asking for money all the time. They always say that it is optional but the kids return to school with their brains washed asking and begin for money for everything. Why do the teachers inform to the kids the possible contributions? Let the parent decide! For example, is it necessary have a School Store? why my little kids need to learn how to buy silly toys and learn how to spend money unnecessary? I am no happy at all.

The principal talks down to parents! I am an adult and your equal not a little kid treat me as such when I enter your school. Not able deal well with children who do not fit their mold.

I feel compelled to refute the last review before this one that states the school continually asks for money and then awards children whose families donate. The writer also asks "where does the money go?" Most fundraisers are planned by the PTA, not the school. Like all schools, Griffin PTA raises funds to support additional resources - these include purchasing smart boards and other technology for classrooms, developing a garden, hosting teacher appreciation events, and planning fun celebratory events for all the children. The school is blessed with a team of industrious parent volunteers who donate countless hours so staff can focus on teaching. If any parent wants to know "where the money goes" they should simply contact the PTA and they information is readily available. What's more, the school has a focus on service learning so often donations are used towards helping others in the community and around the world. Yes, there is an auction at the annual fundraiser where parents can bid for items (including "first in line in carpool". ) It's a very successful fundraiser since the school is situated among a community generous both financially and with their time.

The school's main intention is to extract $$$ from parents. Every week there is something or the other to extract $$$. The school plays with children's psychology by awarding students that contribute the most $$$ to the school. Horrible staff and poor parking - pick up and drop off. The school has an auction system for efficient pick up and drop off. Another way to make $$$. Where does this money go?

My children have been at Griffin for 4 years now and, with the exception of the over-crowding last year, we are very pleased with the education our children are receiving. The school is very good about keeping parents abreast of curricular changes and answering any questions we may have. To round out our experience, we have been extremely fortunate to have exceptional teachers. I have spoken to parents of children who were transferred to Griffin through the redistricting last year. They have all had positive things to say, as well.

Simply put, this school is overcrowded as are ALL elementary schools in the Cinco Ranch West area. Why parents continue to move to this area and cram their kids into schools way over capcity blows my mind.

It is a fantastic school. Kids are inspired everyday.

Last modified Griffin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.