Bad
Good

Low teacher turnover, quality communication, and great administration! Both of our daughters have been challenged and continue to succeed.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are the best! They really care. If you have any problems the principal will really help you out

Amount of homework: Agree

Vega doesn't have that much homework, especially in the lower grades. Students are expected to read every night and do math. They get in trouble if they don't read. My child has really started reading lots so it's really a pleasure not to have to make my kid do homework.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They teach the students manners and respect. Students open doors for others and say yes ma'am and yes sir. Everyone is so nice. When you walk in the school you know it is a special place

Amazing! The staff really cares about the students and parents. What a wonderful school in every way.

I have two children who attend Vega and I absolutely love it. My oldest is in 5th and my youngest is in 3rd. We have been at Vega for 6 years and it is a great school. The staff is awesome. Mr. Forsyth is a great principal. He implemented the Essential 55 and College readiness programs and they are fabulous.

We moved to McKinney two years ago and we've loved Vega so far! All the staff is super nice and helpful. Love the college bound focus they emphasize. Teachers are phenomenal and work so hard with the kiddos. I will say we were concerned with the school's rating at the beginning, but were willing to give it a try, so happy we did!

When moving to the area with two kids in elementary, obviously looking at the school district was important. We had always heard that McKinney schools were just phenomenal. We found the perfect house, and after reading a few reviews about Vega, weren't so sure. We came to find that many of those reviews were negative due to the old leadership. I cannot say enough great things about the teachers, the leadership, and the culture at Vega. My kids love going. Everyone in the front office is kind. There is constantly some kind of event going on (donuts, outside fundraisers, pep rallys, etc.) and the kids go to school daily with college and different important character traits being emphasized. I also receive constant email and phone communication, which I never did before in our old school district. If you can't tell, I love this school, and am thrilled my kids get to go here. If you're reading any negative reviews, look twice at the date -- I'd bet that it was under the old leadership. You will not be disappointed by this school!

My first child attended Vega when it first opened and finished through the 5th grade. I love the teachers and staff because they care so much about the children. They seem to always put the children first. The one and only complaint that I have about this school is their sad and pathetic looking playground. It has been a sad looking playground since my second child attended this school, which he started back in 2008. They definitely should do something about the playground.

My daughter liked her kindergarten teacher and was excited about going to school. My areas of concern was no computer class or weekly library class for kindergarten. The school is heavily populated with ELL students and I feel the majority of time and resources go towards these students and English speaking students are left aside. The playground is very sad for an elementary school and needs updating/additions. The principal is reserved and passive. He does listen to parent concerns but isn't proactive in dealing with troubling situations.

Last modified Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.