Posted October 24, 2014
When moving to the area with two kids in elementary, obviously looking at the school district was important. We had always heard that McKinney schools were just phenomenal. We found the perfect house, and after reading a few reviews about Vega, weren't so sure. We came to find that many of those reviews were negative due to the old leadership. I cannot say enough great things about the teachers, the leadership, and the culture at Vega. My kids love going. Everyone in the front office is kind. There is constantly some kind of event going on (donuts, outside fundraisers, pep rallys, etc.) and the kids go to school daily with college and different important character traits being emphasized. I also receive constant email and phone communication, which I never did before in our old school district. If you can't tell, I love this school, and am thrilled my kids get to go here. If you're reading any negative reviews, look twice at the date -- I'd bet that it was under the old leadership. You will not be disappointed by this school!

Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega 4

Posted October 09, 2014
My first child attended Vega when it first opened and finished through the 5th grade. I love the teachers and staff because they care so much about the children. They seem to always put the children first. The one and only complaint that I have about this school is their sad and pathetic looking playground. It has been a sad looking playground since my second child attended this school, which he started back in 2008. They definitely should do something about the playground.

Posted July 19, 2014
My daughter liked her kindergarten teacher and was excited about going to school. My areas of concern was no computer class or weekly library class for kindergarten. The school is heavily populated with ELL students and I feel the majority of time and resources go towards these students and English speaking students are left aside. The playground is very sad for an elementary school and needs updating/additions. The principal is reserved and passive. He does listen to parent concerns but isn't proactive in dealing with troubling situations.

Posted March 19, 2014
Our children have attended Vega for a couple of years now. We've been very happy with the staff. My daughter adores her teachers, as well as Mr. Forsyth and Mrs. Cottam (the principal and vice principal). Nurse Beth has gone out of her way to help us out more than once. Everything seems to be well organized and run smoothly. They seem to truly care about the student's well being, and education both on academic and social skills. Parent involvement is a little low, mostly because most of the parents in the area (like myself) have to work full time. I nearly cried because I had to miss my daughter's Kindergarten graduation, which was held during school hours. But I think the majority of parents do support the school even though they cannot attend every event, or volunteer in the classroom. Overall we've been very impressed with Vega!

Posted March 13, 2014
The new principal has made a huge impact and is super engaged in the success of the students.

Posted July 08, 2013
My son attended Vega for kindergarten and 1st grade. The principal and vice principal were fantastically involved and caring. We didn't care for his kindergarten experience after realizing that his teacher was more interested in having us medicate him for ADD than she was in communicating with us what we could do to help him. His 1st grade teacher was extremely thoughtful and attentive, giving him additional time before and after school. She was so patient and giving and we genuinely appreciated her efforts but after some additional tested to rule out other possible causes for his being behind, we were told in a meeting we needed to have him evaluated for ADD. In hind sight, I believe we enrolled him too soon and should have held him out for a year but due to No Child Left Behind, we were told holding him back would not be beneficial for him (them?). We ended up home schooling this past year and he has excelled tremendously. ADD has not been an issue and I'm grateful we did it. In the end, I believe the school itself is pretty good although I was alarmed at the continuous insistence that we throw a pill at the problem and the school lunches are to be avoided at all costs.

Posted June 16, 2013
Mr. Forsyth is an AMAZING principal, his staff is great too. A HUGE improvement since the old principal left. He is engaged, approachable and the kids love him. Teachers are awesome, friendly to parents - many facebook friend parents in their class and build relationships that are strong. My disappointment is more with the district. This past year they brought in ESL classes from around the district which overcrowded our school - 5th grade in portables. This coming year 13-14 will add even more ESL. Parent envolvement is low, funds are low and playground is pathetic. PTA is a few stay at home moms making all the decisions and spending seems frivilous (when our kids need better playgrounds versus a PTA board trip to Austin conventions). The school is now a Title One - over 40% are on free or reduced lunch. This is significantly impacting the feel, disipline issues and demographs. Selling to move out of district...will greatly miss Essential 55 which has been a very positive way to focus on character..and will miss staff, teachers and our friends we have had there since kinder several years ago.

Posted October 24, 2011
This year Vega has a new principal. He is amazing and has turned this school around. The staff IS amazing. My child is in third grade and has been enrolled since kinder. His second grade teachers were outstanding. This is an example of a school that headed in the right direction!

Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega 2

Posted April 23, 2011
Teachers seem focused on moving children on to the next grade level rather than truly focusing on improving student's performance, rather than simply ensuring he "makes it through". My child has average grades, and his teachers have communicated to me where he can improve (a plus), but he has not thrived the way I think he could had he attended a nearby elementary as my older child did. Office staff and nurse are super friendly; nothing but great things to say about them. But the downsides-- principal is alarmingly fake and does not truly care about the individual students she is responsible for. She cares about the grade the school receives from the state, and that is it. I agree, asst. principal is fantastic and involved and should be offered the position. The lunches are disgusting and we send his lunch to ensure he'll actually eat. The teachers and volunteers in cafeteria are like drill sergeants and my child is not a badly behaved student. Maybe I'm crazy for expecting my child to be engaged in a fun learning environment that focuses on individual, educational growth in a Tx public school, but I know it is possible from past experience- just not the reality at Vega.

Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega 4

Posted November 11, 2010
I had heard lots of things regarding Vega before my daughter started school there. Everything I heard was incorrect. The front staff has always been extremely kind with great customer service. I am a Kindergarten mom and so I ask a ton of questions and they are always eager to help and answer my questions. The teachers are great and use enough discipline to keep everything running smoothly without being overbearing and rude to the kids. I am impressed with the curriculum they are covering and overall, very pleased with Vega. The principal and Assistant Principal are wonderful. I think if you truly get involved with your child's school, then you really learn what the school is all about. Vega cares about the kids and offer programs not available at other schools.

Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega
2511 Cattleman Drive, McKinney, TX  75071
Last modified Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jose De Jesus And Maria Luisa Vega Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top