Posted April 09, 2012
My oldest daughter graduated 3rd in her class here but it was through many turmoil and mishaps. If I had a choice I would send them somewhere else. I was constantly harassed by the principal over unimportant things like her shoes and shoelaces not matching. My GT child who graduated with Honors and is now at SMU on a presidential scholarship was constantly put in ISS over clothing matters such as too many buttons on her Polo, wearing the wrong shade of Khaki, having an emblem larger than 1 inch on her shirt. The first time I was called was about the shoelaces not matching the shoes, during the lunch rush at work. When I became irritated at the stupidity of the call I hung up, only to have Mr Barber call me back 5 times in a row because he wanted to continue fighting about it. My youngest daughter is a Junior and has Mr Bracy for her GT Math. She is ADHD and just started medication this year. He refuses to help her or show up for tutoring. She has a 40 in his class and we are now having to pay for a credit recovery course in which she is carrying a 97 average. Mrs Jackson refused my daughter the right to make up a midterm even though we have a DR's note for the day missed.

Posted January 15, 2012
I am a currently a senior at this school. It's improving thanks to all the grants and awards our school received except for the fact that the money gave the assistant principals iPads which I saw one throwing it around like it was useless and the pointless flat screen tv in the cafeteria. This school is over flowing with students which makes it impossible for a teacher to teach (over 1500 students I believe). Take honors instead you have smaller classes and more attention. The upside is the new college counselor which is very helpful! Also, the new Princeton review SAT prep class is amazing and taught by a great teacher. This school is very strict and will not hesitate to file truancy. It has potential. Most organizations are underfunded too such as the newspaper staff that will eventually disappear due to the lack of funding and participation. It's all about football, TAKS, STAAR, and making Mesquite look like the greatest district ever. Don't come here if you have school spirit. Our football team is a joke and we only have 2 pep rallies a year.

North Mesquite High School 5

Posted December 18, 2011
I graduated from NMHS in 1989 I loved it so much. I was in the most awsome band with the most awsome band director in the world Mr. John Kline. Although there were some things I didn't agree with when it comes to the strictness of the rules I wouldn't have traded it for anything in the world. As a mom of two teens now in a East Texas school I now see what happens when those rules don't exist. Yes, we had teen pregnancy but not that many. Out here we have so many starting in Junior high even. The school district here concentrates on two things and those two things are football and TAKS. The kids come and go as they please when they are at school and hug and kiss and everything else it is so sad. They even are sneaking off property to do things that don't need to be done if you know what I mean so if you want your kids to do all that then pull them out of a school with rules and see how that works out for you.

Posted November 14, 2010
The administrative staff is very poor. They don't support parent involvement at all. The more you care about your kid the worst they treat your kid. Teachers can't teach due to the fact that disipline is the most important thing. This school really gets your kids ready for prison. The rules are strickly inforced and it's rediculous how little your kid will learn because of all the fights and disprutions in class. My child never had homework and was not properly prepared for college. If you only want a high school diploma its great place. I have had 6 kids go through this school and I wish we would have moved sooner. Moving to MISD was the worst thing I could have done/ they would have got a better education in a Dallas school.

North Mesquite High School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
Teachers and Administrative staff really care about the students.

North Mesquite High School 5

Posted October 02, 2010
I graduated from North Mesquite High in 1989 and it was an awesome experience my two years there, I mean the Varsity Ladies basketball team went to state mu junior high, pretty impressive if you ask me, and a hard curriculum

Posted September 28, 2010
It's sad when your kid finishes with honors and has a 3.9 GPA ranked 12 in his class and guess what? He couldn't pass a college entrance test. But my kid sure did know the taks test- aced it everytime. Horrible school and the worst administrators I have ever delt with.

North Mesquite High School 3

Posted April 20, 2010
My son is now a junior. During the first 2 years there were many draconian rules, uneven enforcement and a general lack of common sense among staff, including a less than friendly environment for parents. Over all this has been the best year so far for my son. He is an honor student and in AP classes. I do believe the school is being run more smoothly this year than in previous years. Overall, I believe his education has not been overly harmed by attending here, but I am not so sure it has helped get him prepared for college well enough. He has had several good teachers this year and that has helped. Extracurricular activities aren't well supported or promoted at the school like I feel it should be.

Posted March 31, 2010
This school is terrible. Teachers have no idea what they are doing.

North Mesquite High School 4

Posted September 01, 2009
If the kids can't or will not comply with dress standards and the parent does not support the policy, suspend the student until they conform. All schools should be monitored for drug dealers as needed.

North Mesquite High School
18201 Lyndon B Johnson Freeway, Mesquite, TX  75150
Last modified North Mesquite High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Mesquite High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top