John Winship Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 538 students

Posted October 29, 2013

Both my children have done great at this school. It is a smaller school and has a friendly atmosphere where parents are always welcome.

Posted December 26, 2009

My son has been at Winship for almost 5 years and I have not been happy. The PTO is very clickish and definately needs something done so more parents will actually want participate. The administration stands behind the teachers instead of looking at the students' best interest. The cafeteria is awful and the lunches are nothing more than tv dinners...very little nutrition is being served. When I was a kid my mom was invloved in everything and the school was an open invitation but Winship feels very closed off and selective. My son is an average student and I think because he is not a 'whiz' he is looked over. I wish we could move because we would in an instant.

Posted November 28, 2009

My Daughter has attend from k- 2 grade so far it has been a fun and enjoyable experience for her. She loves the teachers and there methods of teaching. She is soaking up like a sponge. She is happy with how positive reenforcement works. She enjoys the support of the other staff as well :) This school is making great memories..

Posted August 20, 2009

My 3rd child will be starting Winship in the fall. I have one other who attends there now and one who went through Winship, Twin Creeks and now is starting Spring High. Overall the teachers have been great. But, the PTO people are very clickish and do make me not want to volunteer. I have noticed there is a lot of favoritism shown to employees children too.

Posted April 21, 2009

Great School. It's below capacity so there's no overcrowding. No discipline problems. As far as I'm concerned it's the best elementary school in Spring ISD. Teachers are great. My only concern is there's little attention to where a student is at academically until they reach 3rd grade when they are required to start taking TAKS tests. They play catch up in 3rd grade. I expressed for K-2 that I thought my daughter was behind in math and was told she was doing well. Then at the beginning of 3rd grade, they started tutoring her to death saying she was behind in math. Parent organizations are short on volunteers but the parents in charge are very clickish and make it difficult to want to volunteer.

Posted April 28, 2008

What a great staff. They really work hard with the students. They have really good test scores this year.

Posted February 14, 2008

I think Winship Elementary is a great school. I have no complaints. I have two children and a nephew who attend Winship. I hope the move to the new school in Northgate will be just as great of an experience for us as Winship. I have embraced and supported Winship since my children started attending in 2004.

Posted January 30, 2008

I have two children who attend Winship and one that has moved on to middle school. There are many great qualities about this school, including the principal and staff, but some things that need to be improved upon, but are district controlled. TAKS should not be the main focus, there are more things that kids should learn. Problem children should not be in the main stream classes, they take too much learning time away from kids who want to learn. Tier III and Tier I should not be mixed, it takes too much time away from the more advanced children, plus they should not be sent to school to babysit needy kids.

Posted January 10, 2008

I have 2 children who have or do attend Winship. I think the school is an excellent place for them to learn. They are treated with respect and are challenged appropriately. I think the principal is wonderful - very open to listen to comments or concerns. The teachers have been kind and encouraging. Although, I don't agree with everything they do, I understand that they are working with many children of various learning styles and situations and that sometimes what I would like to see happen is not practical in their situation. I respect their efforts. I do feel there is too much focus on the TAKS, but unfortunately that pressure comes from the state. I think my children have been well prepared for the state requirements by the teachers at Winship. I would like to see more technology used in the classroom but I know their resources are limited.

Posted November 14, 2007

I have two children who have attended Winship Elementary. My eldest was there for Kindergarten and Third Grade, my youngest was there for First. Kindergarten was fantastic, Third grade was good but had to get more challenges for bored son. Our First grade experience was a nightmare ending with a child who had to spend all summer cathcing up. I feel like I tried on numerous occasions to work with the school on my childs below average reading and I got no where. The Principal is friendly and available for paernts when needed but no action, just lip service. What there very good at is seding home an unbelievable number of papers (flyers, newsletters. med alerts, activity notices) and you can count on what seems like daily recorded messages buy phone from the administration. In my opinion they are only focused on test scores and under tremndous pressure. Resources are limited

Posted February 8, 2007

Winship has been a great school for my 2 children. The principle is really great and a lot has changed from the previous years. Both of my kids have been well taken care of and are happy. I would love to see a bit more creativity in their teaching and I really wish there was more parent involvement. Although I am very pleased at the safety precautions that are taken, sometimes Winship feels a bit closed off to parents. Overall, we have had a wonderful experience there and count it as the best in Spring!

Posted June 27, 2005

I have 3 children at Winship. I have to say it has been a hit or miss. My children have special needs: some of the teachers have worked very well with their needs. However, my daughter who has a learning disability, was put with a former substitute teacher. I feel that it was disastrous and that we will be going to tutoring this summer to catch her up.

Posted August 31, 2004

My daughter has attended Winship for four years and has had excellent teachers. They have all allowed me to volunteer in her classroom and have seemed very appreciative. The school has a full-time music teacher and full-time art teacher, which is rare in our over-crowded district. While I do not always agree with the administration's philosophy of always attempting to have everything 'fair' (for instance, all class holiday parties are exactly the same so no one gets upset,) I have been very pleased with the education standards my child has been pushed to accomplish. I would not hesitate to recommend Winship.

Posted May 19, 2004

I have discovered that although they have an excellent rating, there is still a little prejudice lingering at the almost all white school. I have two children at Winship and at times they have been mistreated and overlooked. My daughter was molested in the lunch room, a little boy put his hands inside my daughters pants standing in the lunch line. I have yet to receive a call to let me know what was done to discipline this young man. Other incidents have happend to my Son and nothing has ever been done to correct the matter, but if he does something , he gets punished right away. I don't have a problem with my kids getting disciplined, but I do have a problem with them getting harrased. I would rate this school a (1).

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2011.

82 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 88% in 2011.

88 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 90% in 2011.

85 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 82% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 87% in 2011.

All Students94%

Proficient in English88%
Non-migrant88%
Gifted/talented98%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 73% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students76%

Proficient in English84%
Non-migrant82%
Non-Gifted75%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Exemplary".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Asian or Pacific Islander 4% 4%

Beginning teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Recognized by TEA (2006)
  • Two Gold Performances (Writing and Science) (2006)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Emotional behavioral disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • We have a very active pto. we work with the community in as many ways as we possibly can.

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Twin Creeks Middle School