Bad
Good

I have taught in five different states and now stay home with my children. I was pleased with the school for the first couple of years but no longer. The administration does not take bullying incidents seriously. In fact, they do not even address them. We are now dealing with an entirely different group of children coming into the school speaking another language. The problem being, the staff is not bilingual and a number of the kids are using this to their advantage. My child was bullied in Spanish. The school is no taking any stance on this and is letting the "affluent" families coming from another country determine what is acceptable. Just frustrated that we are in an area with good schools but are left with no choice but to place our children in a more nurturing/caring environment. I will not have any regrets leaving and am now looking forward to a better future for my children.

Wonder, wonderful school! Tough has been an incredible improvement to the CA school we attended most recently. It is a large school, but they run a pretty tight ship. The Principle is very approachable and visible. She goes out of her way to know the children and parents. Everyone working at the school (front office, car line, cafeteria) is friendly and authentic in their efforts to make a positive school experience for both the students and the parents. I have to take a moment to acknowledge the ladies in the front office. They are so genuine, helpful, sweet, and comforting! With 1250 students I wouldn't expect them to know my name, but they call me by name every time I walk into the office. There are plenty of opportunities to be involved with the PTO or in the classrooms and the parent involvement is fantastic. The teachers are very accessible and quick to respond and address any concerns. The curriculum is challenging and the teachers support and accommodate individual students and their academic abilities quite well. They aren't just teaching to the masses. Thrilled to be a part of this community!

This school has a really positive atmosphere but it is just too large for students to be considered as individuals. We are generally satisfied but wish the school was not so bureaucratic and money conscious. The PTO is very involved but organizes fundraising events that not everyone can even attend because there just is not enough room. The fundraising is frankly almost oppressive. When children attend "specials" like PE the kids are in groups of over 100. It's insane.

Wonderful School! Great administration and teachers! Excellent education and programs. Great PTO!!

My children have been in schools around the world, and I am extremely impressed with the education and dedication I see at Coulson Tough. This is a top notch school. Good job!

Very good school but too large. Great responses from teachers and administrators when needs arise to address concerns or bullying incidents. Our wish is for school to focus more on teaching. Need to have better communication to update parents on G/T program and curriculum that it offers. My daughter being labeled 'G/T' kid but basically doing the regular school work.

A good school for the area, but focuses too heavily on standardized testing (teach to test and need to just teach) and traditional teaching (repetition versus understanding). Children would be better served if curriculum could be more flexible and focus on small groups and individuals (I know this can be done because we came from a school that focused on a basic curriculum and kids could elevate levels at their speed if they mastered the current level). The 5th grade science curriculum is the best for the school.

Last modified Tough Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.