Terrell, TX

Poetry Community Christian School 1

Posted August 11, 2014
My son went to this school from primer-2nd grade. At his 2nd parent teacher meeting (the spring meeting shortly before the year ended). I was informed my child was struggling and needed it was recommended he be held back, I was caught by surprise since his grades did not reflect that at all. I was told to think it over and let them know my decision. We decided since passed with very good grades to move him on to 3rd only to be informed a month prior to school starting they had made the decision to hold him back and that if we didn't like it we could unenroll. I actually still have the email stating that. We were told 3rd grade was now full and that since we were choosing to break the contract by not keeping him there and putting him in 2nd grade we would get none of the near $1000 we had already paid towards the coming year. I believe we the school is poorly run without any real board in place. Although we met some great families and what I know will be lifelong friends there. We are deeply saddened by the way the situation was handled.

Posted April 21, 2013
We have both younger and older students at Poetry and are pleased with our experiences so far. One of our students has a learning difference (Poetry's program is great!), so it was nice to have our whole family at one school and have each of our kids get a great education. Since we're parents with students in both core classes and LINK Lab classes, I would disagree with the comment below about "all being held back a year." Only our one student was put in LINK Lab (which we knew was appropriate); the others tested fine. I don't see a high percentage in LINK Lab but have heard many public school students need tutoring. That's not surprising since Texas public schools are ranked so poorly nationally. Personally, our family has been blessed to have a school whose graduates go to so many different colleges (I saw the list on the website), do well on standardized tests, and have a Christian environment to boot. The electives & extra-curriculars are great (they've won state twice in volleyball and basketball, have baseball, and do well at the academic,music, art meets) for such as small school (unless your heart's set on football or marching band). We recommend PCCS!

Poetry Community Christian School 1

Posted February 27, 2013
I had the same experience that the 8-19-2011 post shared. My child attended this school. What I noticed as a parent is that new students were coming in and were all being held back a year. It seems that all students that come from public schools in their eyes are behind so they give you the option of either holding them back or put you in a special education class and charge you double the tuition. Then talking to parents after they left and put their sudents in other schools that their kids were then behind because of being held back at Poetry. The other reviewer that posted that they are very quick to judge is so true. If you are not in the click with the teachers that are parents also they will treat you very differently. Also we had issue with the teachers calling the kids out in class . I do not recommend this school.

Poetry Community Christian School 4

Posted December 06, 2012
I have 3 children attending Poetry - We began our children there 7 years ago and have been very pleased with not only the academic standards of excellence but also the diversity the student population. You will find no cliques at Poetry- All students are accepted and considered family. The very low performance ratings of local public schools made Poetry an obvious choice and incredibly affordable, with average annual tuition at about $4000. The parent partnership keeps the price down and attracted us because parent involvement was not only encouraged, but mandated. Although my students are not enrolled in it, the Learning Difference program at Poetry is WAY ahead of the game compared to other private schools and there does not seem to be the "special ed" stigma found at public schools. As another review said, Poetry is certainly not perfect, but it has been a blessing to us.

Posted September 18, 2012
Our child has attended PCCS for 10 years and our family loves it! It is a wonderful, warm school with high academic and character standards. It has more than 200 students in K - 12th grades and each child is treated as an individual, not a number. The teachers and staff are degreed professionals, love the Lord and seek his guidance, care about the students and families, and work with families to help each child achieve his or her best. The tuition is affordable for most families, which is an added bonus. We love that parents are welcomed here to be a part of their child's school life - studies do prove that the key to a great school is "parent involvement". We know she will be thoroughly prepared for college and life after high school. We are so thankful for PCCS!

Posted September 09, 2012
My children have attended this school for several years. All I can say is that I noticed in the newspaper that only 2 public schools in Kaufman County passed federal Adequate Yearly Progress standards...from what I read, that's a minimum standard. And 47% of Texas public schools statewide failed. Maybe that's why new students aren't doing well on the Poetry admissions tests. My children are doing well at Poetry. They have a reasonable homework and have done fine on the Stanford Achievement Test. That tells me Poetry is doing something right. It's not a fancy school. It has metal buildings but they are nice inside. The teachers there appear to be Christians. That's important to me. Not where they go to church but whether they model Christian values. No school is perfect, but it appears that the school's leaders and teachers recognize that and work toward improving. I do like the parent partnering program--I like to be involved in my childrens' school. I also think my children have made good, sensible friends there. Sports have improved and they have a ton of electives. Overall, I think the school is great. I don't have regrets in sending our children there.

Poetry Community Christian School 2

Posted August 19, 2011
My child attended this school. What I noticed as a parent is that new students were coming in and were all being held back a year. It seems that all students that come from public schools in their eyes are behind so they give you the option of either holding them back or put you in a special education class and charge you double the tuition. Then talking to parents after they left and put their sudents in other schools that their kids were then behind because of being held back at Poetry. The other reviewer that posted that they are very quick to judge is so true. If you are not in the click with the teachers that are parents also they will treat you very differently. Also we had issue with the teachers calling the kids out in class . Do not recommend this school if you have other choices.

Posted June 14, 2011
I attended this school 4 years and graduated in 2009. The teachers really took an interest in my personal growth, as well as academic advancement! I loved it all the way through. I would recommend this school to anyone interested in giving their children quality education at a fraction of the cost of competing private institutions. As for the reviewer who commented about "Most of the staff are parents who are volunteering"...All the teachers, office employees, and board members (you know the ones who shouldn't be volunteers) are on staff. The parents are there to fulfill a required 4 hours a month "Parent Partner" obligation. To me this was a fantastic idea! Janitorial, construction, traffic direction, monitors, and others are all parents! This keeps costs down as well as giving parents the opportunity to be involved in their children's school lives! There were 10 people in my graduating class, and after 2 full years I am in contact with 6 of them. Being such a small class gave us the opportunity to bond through our high-school experience.

Posted May 11, 2011
I attended PCCS for 6 years and graduated in 2010. I loved it. The teachers and faculty took personal interest in not only the education of the students, but also their well-being. In being such a small school, there was a great familial environment created amongst everyone who walked the hallways. If I am still in the area by the time I have my own family, I would not even hesitate to put my children in the great Christian environment.

Poetry Community Christian School 2

Posted May 04, 2011
As a former student to this school(I left in the middle of the year), I would not recomend it to anyone. The teachers can be very unprofessional, and sometimes they really don't even care. They choose favorite students, have the most ridiculas rules, and only apply them when they feel like it. They call you out infront of the whole class and adress issues or lies, they herd about you (due to endless clicks unopen to new bestfriends), but not in a good way inorder to clear it up, more like to stir it up. They made me feel stupid and like I couldn't do anything.They are very quick to judge, yet they teach us not to. I think they have good intentions, but they slip alot. People would come in to tour the school and they made us put on an act, what you see in the tour, even the trial day is far from the truth. If you want your child to have a good education, and feel confident, don't send them here.

Poetry Community Christian School
18688 Farm to Market 986, Terrell, TX  75160
Last modified Poetry Community Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Poetry Community Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top