Wylie High School

Public | 9-12 | 1976 students

Living in Wylie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $155,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,020.

Posted June 5, 2013

This school broke me. I used to love school until I moved to Wylie. My smile started to disappear slowly. I turned into the loner quiet kid that everybody picks on. Even the teachers picked on me, throwing things and almost hitting me in the face then another criticizing what music I listen to not know that that person's music keeps me going. There is only two teachers in the entire school that I trust. I always felt invisible at this school. The principal is pretty awesome though.

Posted March 27, 2012

I am a parent of three students in the district. In the fall I will have a Freshman and a Junior at WHS. My students are involved in GT services, AP classes, and That Wylie Band primarily. They have also enjoyed Theater Arts and UIL Academic competitions. We have had a very positive experience will all these programs. My oldest participated in the TMEA All State Band as a Sophomore in 2012 thanks to an outstanding band program, amazing and inspiring band instructors, an outstanding private lesson instructor and personal practice. He now wants to major in music, and he is setting all kinds of goals for himself. Each year he is taking at least one AP class which will result in college credits. My entering Freshman is looking forward to marching with That Wylie Band in the fall and a rigorous academic schedule. Schools are very well funded. Decisions to drop programs like Junior High girls soccer which was dropped this year, come from very financially savvy decision-makers that have students best interests at the core of all difficult decisions. Teachers are caring and professional. Administrators are always visible and working toward continuous improvement.

Posted February 27, 2011

I am currently a student at Wylie High School, and my experience here is very good from a student's point of view. The Staff is very relaxed about rules that don't have to do with safety or academics, which are the only important ones in my opinion. The teachers I've had are not only good teachers, but they are cool teachers. I'm am involved in their Debate Team, which is a nationally recognized program at Wylie, that I would recommend for anyone who can argue.

Posted February 20, 2010

We moved here from Virginia Beach last year. We thought it would take a while for our son to adjust. He transitioned with ease. He plays football and runs track. The sports teams are very family oriented. They make sure grades come first. We have not been happier and our son loves it. The dress code is awesome. Our son leaves home dress for success. We are very satified with Wylie HS.

Posted September 17, 2009

Wonderful teachers. Athletic program is awesome.

Posted June 12, 2009

My last 8 years as a counselor before retirement were at Wylie HS. Of all my schools, I have never been prouder to be a part of a staff who put kids first, no matter what. Always a team effort, some of the most awesome instructors and principals, unbelievable extra-curricular activities in all areas, and students who were happy, engaged, challenged, and safe. Teachers truly spent many, many extra hours with students for any reason. I was happy to be a part of a district who remembers that the student is the foundation of the school, and where respect of those students was a major part of learning, not only in academics.

Posted February 6, 2008

I think Wylie high school is a great shcool. Their culinary program probably is the best in the us.

Posted September 28, 2007

This is my child's second year at Wylie High and it has been fantastic. The entire school district is that of a small country town and all their staff is very caring and helpful. They have some of the best funded schools I have ever seen.

Posted June 22, 2007

I attended Wylie schools my entire life and graduated in 2004. I was extremely impressed with the Gifted and Talented program. As a military brat and many friends enrolled, I can highly recommend the AFJROTC program. Sports are a big thing at Wylie High, but That Wylie Band is just as accomplished. If theatre is more your style, try out for Main Stage Play Production class. There are 4 or 5 productions every year and always a pleasant event. I plan on returning to Wylie in 2 years, after I have finished my student teaching, to teach. There is no better school district out there with the levels of technology and hometown feel.

Posted July 17, 2006

Wylie High School is the best! Great school, concerned teachers and counselors. ROTC program is the best around. The only downside to the school is that they've gone to standardized dress for the 2006-2007 school year and I think that's absurd. If the staff can't control the students without a standardized dress code, they sure won't be able to do it with one!

Posted April 19, 2006

Wylie High School possesses a superb facility and reputation for academic excellence.

Posted September 22, 2004

This is my son's second year at wylie high and i must say the teaching staff is outstanding and very responsive. Wylie has a great deal to offer any student with a desire to achieve. The online grades resource for parents allows each of us to become active in our childs success. As a parent you know immediately how well your child is doing at the click of a finger. When you e-mail the teachers they respond quickly and offer their suggestions to help improve your childs grade. My hats off to the staff at wylie high .. Thanks for being caring and responsive to our needs.

Posted August 26, 2004

I am a current student at Wylie high. Although I havent been here long the school is amazing. Proud to be here. The only discretion I have is the afterschool activities are limited, dress code too strict almost like boot camp, and tutoring isnt very long. At W.T.White tutoring could be held from 7AM to 8:30AM or 4PM to 6PM. Other then that, it is great and very clean. Teachers are caring and very polite.

Posted August 2, 2004

I'm not a parent I graduated in '04 and my experience at Wylie was the best time of my life. I'm an army brat and have attended multiple schools but i never attended one as wonderful at Wylie. The teachers were closely knit with the students and the students have so much spirit. It truely was the best time of my life.

Posted June 19, 2004

The spirit and education at Wylie High School is outstanding. The student-teacher community is very closely knit as is the student body. Although the students are greatly disappointed by new regulations, Wylie is advancing safety from name badges to parking lot monitors. Also, the school is expanding its building and technology very rapidly. Our only complaint of the school is the lack of support through the counseling office. Overall, we were very proud for our childeren to gradutate from Wylie High, and enjoyed the traditions we practiced and the traditions we made.

Posted January 9, 2004

Parents beware! If you have a special needs child do not enroll them at WHS. In my humble opinion, lip service is all that's paid to the matter of special needs but if you want your child to have services- helping your child learn to succeed in life beyond high school, you won't find them here. The one saving grace WHS has going for it is the AFJROTC program, run by the honorable Colonel Wayne Wilbanks with assistance for Sergeant Smith. Your child will be treated with kindness, dignity and integrity if they have Colonel Wilbanks or Sergeant Smith for an instructor.

Posted August 26, 2003

They have such a high drop-out rate and a high rate of teen pregnancy it is unbelievable. This school has the most uncaring staff I have ever seen or dealt with in my children's school years. Thank God my children were only in the Wylie ISD for a couple of years.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 89% in 2011.

451 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2011.

460 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

416 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2011.

410 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2011.

412 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 93% in 2011.

410 students were tested at this school in 2011.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 95% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

385 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 95% in 2013.

388 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 98% in 2013.

387 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students98%

White99%
Economically disadvantaged98%
Special education92%

Source: Texas Education Agency

• In 2010-2011, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Recognized".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Recognized".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 78% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 97% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 85% in 2013.

515 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 84% in 2013.

432 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Reading

The state average for English I Reading was 65% in 2013.

517 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English I Writing

The state average for English I Writing was 48% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Reading

The state average for English II Reading was 78% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II Writing

The state average for English II Writing was 52% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III Reading

The state average for English III Reading was 63% in 2013.

English III Writing

The state average for English III Writing was 42% in 2013.

255 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 86% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 81% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 75% in 2013.

514 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 70% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
Beginning teachers 2%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

P O Box 490