Layton High School

Public | 10-12 | 1709 students

Posted November 27, 2010

I have two teens that attend LHS. The counseling/college prep staff has been good. The class selection is okay, and the teachers seem to have a genuine, positive connection with the students. School spirit is high. I enjoy diversity (having lived all over the US), but there is little diversity here. However, that is changing, and my kids have friends of many different backgroungs. Lastly, the office staff can be hard to work with, and not very friendly, but not so with the attendance staff.

Posted January 29, 2010

Layton High School is a great school! I attended both Davis High School and Layton High School during my high school career and both are great schools! Layton High School is often overly criticized because it is so close to the academic behemoth that is, Davis High School. Admittedly Davis High School has a more structured, academic-intensive atmosphere, but Layton High's academics are still strong and noteworthy. Their art programs are superb and the students are more socially accepting and 'down to Earth' than at some of the surrounding schools.

Posted November 26, 2009

I am a new student to Layton High, I started at the beginning of this year. I came from a very great school that excelled in academics and pretty much everything else. We were constantly learning new material. Now at Layton, it might be because of all of the scandals, but I don't know - at Layton I don't feel like I'm being challenged to learn anything new. I used to be a member of my school's advanced show choir, but quit due to the lack of restraint the choir retained. The theatre program is marvelous - it's the only class I've ever even had homework in. The teachers fail to make a connection with the students that will help them learn better, and I constantly feel deprived at this school because Davis has a much, much, MUCH more vigorous learning schedule. Do not send your child to Layton High School.

Posted May 18, 2009

I love Layton High. I have enjoyed getting to know my fellow students and I get along well with most of my teachers. Layton High is a good school dedicated to build up the students and inspire them to choose a career that best fits their personality, and they enjoy doing.

Posted January 28, 2009

I am a current student at Layton High, and I must say that Layton is one of the greatest school out there. Im not just saying that because I go to Layton. There are many Concurrent Enrollment and AP classes available, and the teachers who teach these classes are really good. I should also add that Layton High has a fantastic Automotive Program. I am taking the Concurrent Enrollment Automotive Course and I have to say it is a great experience. The only downfalls are some of the counselors and some of the ways the Principal spends money. The counselors try to help you plan your classes, but they sometimes try to make you take the classes they like. The other negative is how to Principal spends the schools funds. He will not let Auto spend any of their money. Overall this school is a great school that i would recommend.

Posted October 23, 2008

As an early college student who is also enrolled at Layton High, I have seen major issues and a great atmosphere associated with Layton High. The counselors are a major problem with Layton. All are focused on the goal that every child should graduate from high school, however, this goal overlooks students who are exceling. Most counselors are great at recommending AP, concurrent enrollment, and early college- so look for those counselors. Activities after school are fantastic. Many clubs help the community, others include sports, and all accept every person. I enjoy Layton High especially because there are few cliches. No discrimination. I would recommend this school- it may not have all of the finances that Davis High has, nor does it have world class bands, but every person at Layton has the heart to succeed and the tools to create a better future.

Posted September 21, 2008

Dont judge Layton High School on the review from this certain person that attended the school 12 years ago! Layton High is a great school and is alot diffrent that what you hear about from alot of people. The classes are small and they try to get you through high school the best way that you can and try to make sure that you know the stuff that they are teaching. They also try to get everyone to particapate in the clubs the students just need to sign up and they will have a better high school experience. So i hope you will listen to me since I go to LHS this year and about how great the school is! Go Lancers!!!

Posted July 5, 2008

I currently attend Layton High and I love the school! Now I didn't say I love the counselors...that is the major problem with Layton High is that they don't seem to be able to guide the students to where they should be in education so that they can take the right classes. They more so focus on the requirements. But you can't just say that they only focus on the 'elementary education'. I had 5 AP classes last year and an honors class. The students have the choice whether or not to take hard classes. If they are getting higher than a 3.0 and they aren't even trying, they aren't taking hard enough classes. Be a parent and encourage them to try. Or maybe you will have to offer them money for each harder class they take. Remember, it isn't just the school that gets them education, it's their will too!

Posted May 27, 2008

I am a current student at this school, and I strongly disagree with what people have said about this school. The teachers are great and help every student with anything they need. So what if the class sizes are big, every student controls what they learn while in class. Layton Hugh is a great school ,and if your have a choce, go to Layton it is the best. GO LLANCERS!

Posted March 25, 2008

Layton High school is a Great school, It may not be as big or as new as davis High but, i would rather go to layton than davis any day...

Posted July 23, 2007

As a former student, I feel I received no guidance in trying to find a career choice and no assistance in choosing the courses to take to lead me to that destination. As a religious minority, I was excluded. Several classes were geared toward the religious majority. The teachers for the most part do care about their students, but with 35-40 kids in a class, they don't have a lot of time to spend one on one. There were a few outstanding teachers, most are lacksadasial. There isn't a lot of diversity with the student body, there is/was a lot of prejudices and discrimination, individuality is not encouraged. If you want your child to have a well-rounded education and a diverse group of friends, seek another school!!

Posted May 14, 2007

A few teachers are incredible. If you have a mediocre child and want them to become something greater, you should look elsewhere for their education.

Posted April 24, 2006

Diversity is non-existent and therefore the teachers inadequately prepared to deal w/any. The quality of work that seems to be acceptable to most teachers is very poor. Some of the work my son has been told to show me because of it being so wonderful is anything but wonderful. No punctuation, spelling errors, grammatical errors etc. My daughter is taking AP courses, but is having problems because of her religious choice. The school will say they want parents involved, but when I try I get the brush off or attitude from teachers. If you have a choice, do not put your children in this school.

Posted November 3, 2005

I attended Layton High School nearly 12 years ago and can honestly say that while a select few of the teachers were great, the majority taught as if they were just there to 'make it through another day and collect a pay check'. Maybe they were burnt out--I don't know, but I will say that the curriculum was rarely challenging and I graduated with a 3.5 GPA; mind you, I hardly ever did any of the homework and cheated my way through math class. I also sincerely felt that many of the faculty were not prepared to interact with students of different ethnic, economic or religious backgrounds. I think LHS, if it still functions the same, could genuinely use a revamp on several levels.

Posted March 17, 2005

In my involvement in working with Layton high school i found that this school is very unorginized and needs to buckel down and do there job. My children have never felt safe and have had troubles later on after graduation because Layton high makes things so easy that they dont learn discipline or hard work. I have had four children eaither going there or have gone there and none of them come home and done home work, and they seem to get a 3.0 or better. i had my son do some very easy math problems on elementry level and he didn't even know how to start. now dont get me wrong there are alot of great things, like there extracurricular activitys but they need to work harder on genaral education!

Posted September 29, 2004

My child recently graduated from Layton High and had a very wonderful experience. The drama and music programs are amazing and are recognized around the state. The overall atmosphere is quite pleasant. Like any school there is the occasional odd teacher but my son has come in contact with many great teacher who strived to make his learning experience the best it could be. As for the previous two posts I would like to say that my son graduated High School with an Associate Degree of Applied Technology, which was absolutely free to us. The school will pay for all applied education taken as a class period during school or during the summer. I (and also my son) would like to submit our highest praise for Layton High.

Posted August 10, 2003

whished I never attended high school. I found after graduated with a 1.8 gpa I went to trade school in electronic engineering which I got a 3.2. now I'm a engineering manager of a major hotel in the maintenace department for over 18 yrs. the whole system needs to change to what people need. I became so low self esteemed during the high school yrs and was the biggist waste of my time. if I had the proper guidence I would did only trade related classes. learned my history off of tv and English off my pc. Didnt like reading books I like reading manuels and blueprints this isnt for everyone but to do something that dont relate to someone elses goal in life dont help one bit.

Posted May 20, 2003

My three oldest children have graduated from Layton High, as well as my husband and myself. The education they received was at times sporadic. Some teachers have been great mentors and teachers to my children, while others have been less than adequate. My children have taken AP courses, passed the exams, and found them next to useless upon entering the university. The counselors as well as the principal have tried to discourage early college as an option. My daughter was told to 'get her priorities straight' when she wanted to quit the select singing group to go to college instead of LHS. She was told by her chemistry teacher 'You would be better off putting on a short skirt and shaking pom poms'. There have been AP teachers, particularly an English teacher, who saw potential and recommended early college. There are the few excellent teachers who continue to serve the students well. To those few I say 'Thank you!'

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 87% in 2013.

563 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 86% in 2013.

549 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 40% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 40% in 2010.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

462 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 58% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 68% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 42% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 75% in 2013.

239 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A48%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

440 Lancer Ln