Public charter
Murray, UT
Students enrolled: 1,949

Posted March 15, 2015
An excellent quality education is extremely important to me! After deciding to try out UTVA, (despite their low great schools rating) I am not disappointed. My children are in the elementary school and the k12 curriculum is challenging yet thorough. I love that the curriculum is secular and held to the same standard as the public school counterpart yet I can accelerate my children in areas where they are advanced. They participate in the same standardized testing as their public school peers and are ahead academically. The drawbacks are minor, similar to that of any homeschooling family, and I wouldn't recommend just plopping your student in front of the computer to learn all by themselves. Overall, as a homeschool equivalent experience, the free price tag, quality of education, and great teachers/administration supporting you, UTVA is hard to beat.

Posted August 08, 2014
Utah Virtual Academy (K12). (6th - 7th grade) Dont think this will get you away from the people who run the Public schools in UT (Ranked in bottom 20% nationally) The leadership is not mature and not seasoned. Teachers can just wait around for turnover and the next week be thrust into head of school or principal positions. Your kids will not gain a edge. Academic: Weak writing assignments (not enough to prepare students), no academic advisors, your assigned teacher's only role is to send you encouraging emails (no planning development, no real help, when you need to ask them a question on policy - they send parent to ask principal or other teachers in stead of directly helping the parent or student. Last year when I needed to get more info on a school policy. Our assigned teacher stated I needed to call the 6 other people involved in my student's progress. Their are some good teachers and some bad ones. We had a Math teacher 1/2 way thru 7th grade that spent the hour class talking about her pets. No joke. I asked the principal to review the recordings, her response was she is learning. Guess what they promoted her to High School K12. Just remove the problem! Wow.

Utah Virtual Academy 3

Posted April 07, 2014
I've been in UTVA for three years now and am currently a junior in high school. Online schooling has been a great option for me in many ways. I have dealt with chronic nausea, anxiety and depression for years, making the strict schedule of public brick and mortar nearly impossible for me. However UTVA does not give students many opportunities to meet other students and make friends. Giving out your phone number, e-mail, Facebook, etc is not allowed in our online class connects that we attend making it nearly impossible to get to know your classmates. Even though I am sure the school has good reasoning for this, at my old brick and mortar school everyone would hand out their numbers and such to be able to text and make plans. They do have outings here and there however most of them are in the morning and I do not do well in the mornings with my nausea and anxiety. The curriculum is decent but you have to do a lot of independent work and teachers usually take at least a day to respond to k-mails. They work well with my 504 plan and it was a fairly smooth process getting one. Overall the school is just average.

Posted January 24, 2013
I have been on and off the phone with so many different counselors/faculty and heard different stories every time about what needs to be done to get my kids enrolled. All of our documents were turned in and one of my kids already has a schedule... I finally got a hold of an email for the person who is "over it all" and emailed her my questions. I just received an email from her telling me that they aren't accepting new kids right now and that the high school isn't even open at this time....WHAT??? My kids are going to be very disappointed when they hear this. It would be nice if everyone here was on the same page and knew what they were talking about. VERY disappointing!

Utah Virtual Academy 4

Posted January 15, 2013
I have 4 children in Elementary, and the curriculum is phenomenal! We have been in for 3 years, and each year gets better. The teachers have all been extremely helpful, prompt , and and are so great with the kids. It is overwhelming work with 4 gifted children all in elementary, but if you want to be a huge part of your child's education, this is definitely the school for you. Their success depends on your dedication, at this stage.

Posted October 12, 2012
If you want incompetent teachers and your student to be ignored then this iis the school for you! I have never seen such an incompetent school. My son went through 3 math teacher last year. They left and not a word was given to us that they left. Emails would go on unanswered. The principal is very snippy if you call her on this.

Posted July 25, 2012
This school is ok if you have elementary aged students. The teachers in high school seem overwhelmed and inadequate to respond to student's needs and don't seem to care about individual students. The technology factor of submitting tests and assignments seems to fail and the teachers to don't follow up with their students. If the teacher doesn't receive the test, the student gets an F. No inquiry to see if they tried to submit the test and it didn't go through. Also, the school events they hold are aimed towards younger students, so jr high and high school students won't be interested.

Posted August 30, 2011
My daughter is in her second year at U.T.V.A. and we love it. The curriculum is great, using the lesson plans you can go at your child's pace. It's a lot of work to start but WELL worth it!

Posted February 21, 2011
K12 has been the BEST school for my autistic son! They give him the materials that are at his 'grade level' academically. It is at his 'pace". It is tailored just for him, and they give him material that he understands. They also have social outings, so he can still socialize with other kids. It is an AMAZING school!

Utah Virtual Academy
310 East 4500 South, Murray, UT  84107
Last modified Utah Virtual Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Utah Virtual Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top