Quest Academy

Charter | K-9 | 676 students

Our school is best know for academic rigor and differentiation of instruction.

Living in West Haven

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $132,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $610.

Sweep tile

Posted Monday, April 14, 2014

At parent orientation night a staff member spoke with her back to us. This was my first impression of this school and it has stuck with me ever since. The teachers are unsocial with each other and the children are discouraged to socialize. My child's teacher was very uninvolved with the children, I never actually saw her teach a concept. The only thing I ever seen her explain was how to log on to a computer. She often had her shoes off, like she was on vacation. Our child spent most of the days doing worksheets and doing tests on a computer screen. I felt as though this would be a great school to raise a "cube farm" employee. The parking lot situation is a mess at pick-up, it's a huge traffic jam. Lani Rounds the former principle wanted to remove the doors from the bathroom stalls for zero-privacy because there were a couple of instances of children writing on the walls. We moved our kids to Voyage Academy, they emphasize "expeditionary learning". This school is not perfect by any means, but my son is no longer having mental breakdowns after school like he did with Quest. He enjoys school now, and I think you have to enjoy school and be excited about what you are learning.

Posted February 3, 2014

It sounds like the parent that posted feels that he is above the rules. The parent failed to mention that there were several emails sent out as reminder before Friday. The parent also failed to mention that the last Friday of the month (early out day) is always a dollar dress down day. No excuses...the school makes it fair for everyone. Let's really focus on what is important to know about Quest Academy. This is fantastic school! My students have flourished at this school, and I am so grateful that there are choices available to parents. If this parent is so upset about his mistake...go elsewhere. Thanks Quest for all you have done for my children! Keep up the great work!

Posted January 31, 2014

school is completely out of Line they have what is called a dress down day sometimes it's free other times it's a dollar is what I've been told any way. my wife typically takes care of the kids and their school issues she is out of town at a unexpected funeral so I took my son to school on a dress down day he called me about 10 minutes later and said he needs a dollar for dress down day and I said okay let them know I will have it when I pick you up after school that was not good enough for them so he handed the phone to the secretary and she informed me that if he does not have a dollar or a uniform He Will have to wear One of they're loaner uniforms I told the lady I do not want him wearing the uniform I told her to send him to class and that I would have the money to Them at the end of school she hung up on me so I drove back to the school with my two children to give them a dollar I arrived and my son was still standing out there not allowed to go into class yet all over $1 that I said I would pay at the end of the school they are ridiculous I'm going to make this As public as I can they are out of line and out of control!!!!

Posted October 31, 2013

Incredible school. The teachers, staff and school board all work together to create an environment that makes children feel safe. They are able to learn and be themselves, which is invaluable. The teachers are highly qualified and do a great job. The school integrates technology into their education which is wonderful. I could not be more happy with this school. The entire staff runs on one idea, It is ALL about the children, and I could not agree more. I am so sorry that the previous negative commenters missed the point of this school, it is tragic.

Posted September 12, 2013

Although the academic environment was what we wanted. I found we were getting over 2 hours a night of homework in 2nd grade which made me wonder exactly what they were doing in class. Also my son was bullied for 3 years and the school did nothing to address it, even though thier policy states bullying will not be tolerated they protected his bully. Also since the new board came in the whole feeling of the school changed from a great community vibe to one of distance and uncaring. They let go a great principal for no reason. We found an expeditionary learning school which better suited our needs and puts the focus on our son and his needs. It's a good school that was once great.

Posted September 10, 2013

We love Quest Academy. I have four children that have gone there over the years. Quest has consistent standards between all of the teachers for discipline, control, and curriculum. My kids don't have to learn a new system with each new teacher. I have kids with learning disabilities and they are getting far more help at Quest than they ever got at home school with the district. The curriculum is also rich and engages the children in active learning. It's not just busy work. As for the comment by another parent on the virtual field trips, Quest has plenty of regular field trips. My son took two last year. The virtual field trips are a supplemental thing they do to enrich the children's understanding of places where school children would not normally be able to take field trips. It's unfortunate that the other commenter did not understand that because my children have loved learning about places all over the world with the virtual field trips. Quest really makes fantastic use of technology in the learning process and their methods are helping the children to succeed and thrive in the technology rich world we live in.

Posted September 4, 2013

We have two children at Quest Academy and we've loved it. Their focus on integrating technology into the learning process is very relevant to today's society. We've had amazing teachers and the parent involvement is outstanding.

Posted August 19, 2013

Amazingly talented teachers and an incredible staff. My kids attended the local elementary in Weber County school district before attending Quest and there is ZERO comparison. The kids are challenged and really pushed with such encouragement a support. Completely satisfied with Quest Academy! Only thing I'd change is the parking lot. :(. It can be a real nightmare when parents aren't courteous and don't follow the traffic rules.

Posted May 20, 2013

One family seems to be running the entire school. With one family running the school a parent or staff member needs to be in complete agreement with the family or they are allowed zero input.

Posted April 24, 2013

Quest Academy is a K-9 school in West Haven, UT. The school integrates technology throughout the student's learning experience...both as an instructional delivery tool and as a means for students to engage in their learning. Based on survey data parent's satisfaction is extremely high. Over 97% of parents indicated that Quest is doing a fabulous job at fulfilling its mission. Survey results indicate the top three reasons that parents bring their kids to Quest: 1) Students individual needs are being met; 2) Schools provides positive and nurturing environment; 3) Teachers are amazing!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 5, 2011

I have been disappointed in the school's lack of integrating a traditional field trip program. Instead the school relies on the internet and calls it a "technology based curriculum" when really they are trying to supplement hands on learning with a keyboard and screen. Quite frankly the experiences these kids are missing out on because they are going on "virtual field trips" is tragic.

Posted August 23, 2011

This is a great school. I have only herad great things about Qest Academy. I love that the technology is cutting edge.

Posted May 26, 2011

I just wanted to counter some of the things the previous poster wrote. I also have a first-grader at Quest and my experience with the teachers and staff have been nothing short of amazing. My son has had homework every week and also brings home reading books every day. The teachers and staff are always available and they always send out surveys to get parent's input. They place the children in appropriate groups for reading and math. My son is on a 4th grade level in both reading and math. I can't wait for my daughter to start kindergarten next fall!

Posted March 21, 2011

This is the worst charter school I have ever had an experience with. The teachers lack experience, are disorganized, don't take constructive suggestions well. My son went to school there for 6 months and it was the worst decision I ever made. He left Kindergarten with a First Grade education.. by the time I got testing back from Quest he was barely testing at a Kindergarten level. The first grade teacher we had does not believe homework is effective. She is DEAD wrong. I never saw any math or science come home. She made up her own worksheets for language arts that were completely laughable. She made up her own definitions on the sheet instead of just putting a standard children's dictionary definition. She repeated words from previous spelling tests. The reading program is a joke. The books to check off never made it into my kids bag. I moved my kids to another charter school in the area and I havent looked back. If I had a choice I would give this school NO STARS but it isn't an option on this site.

Posted April 6, 2010

Fantastic school!! Teachers and staff are wonderful. I feel my two children are at an advantage over a traditional public school because of the caliber of teachers Quest employs. The considerable use of technology in their teaching has greatly increased the understanding of the concepts being taught. I am grateful I found such a wonderful school.

Posted February 8, 2010

My husband and I could not be more pleased with the education that out two sons are receiving from Quest! We put our now 5th grader in Quest last year after having a number of issues with his previous elementary. The difference has been incredible! Faculty and staff are always available to answer questions and parent involvement is encouraged by everyone. Our 5th grader and our kindegartener both have teachers with open door policies-we can walk and observe their classes at anytime, no advance 'warning' necessary.The technology based curriculum has given both boys an advantage over their friends in traditional elemantary schools.

Posted January 29, 2010

Still a new school. They are still working out details staff seems confused about what direction school is heading.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2010.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A38%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Science club
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Dave Bullock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
952
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
1300
Students typically come from these schools
Kaynesville Elementary
Country View Elementary
West Haven Elementary

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Roy Jr High