Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Many teachers have favorite students and those students get away with breaking school rules. Girls wearing shorts that are too short and tank tops which are against the school rules. Dr orders ignored and list can go on

When I moved here 3 yrs ago I had great hope for my children's education which were dashed completely. The principal is a joke, no parental involvement and no history. I'm now taking my girls back to Albany and can't wait to go knowing my youngest daughter will get the education she needs. I have never heard of tutors being cancelled so kids can go on a field trip however that happened in this school and kids who needed to tutors didn't get what they needed. There are some teachers there that are really good but some that clearly show favoritism. This school needs a major overhaul. I feel for any child educated here.

I am coordinating a funded project in VT that raises awareness of unnecessary vehicle idling at schools, statewide. One of the schools participating in long-term, student-led idling study campaigns that collect vehicle idling data on school grounds and conduct an educational driver intervention is SACS. I gave an initial presentation as a guest-lecturer, explaining the campaign. The lead teachers of the school's Team USA -- Peter DesLauriers and Josie Weldon, brought in around 50 7th and 8th graders who were well-behaved and very engaged. A month later, Ms. Weldon led a smaller team of these students in conducting a week of initial observation and measuring of idling vehicles. The data collected was very helpful. These findings will help in raising awareness of this issue in the school community and may lead to no-idling guidelines. Looking forward to continuing working with teachers and students this year at SACS!

The teachers are fantastic as well as all of the staff, the only exception is the Principal. I am not a fan and would like to see the school board make changes. They do not seem to see that their wonderful staff is miserable and leaving in herds.

Terrible principal (Principal of the year? I guess Fields was right, you can fool some of the people, all of the time) and OK teachers. The biggest problem (besides the principal) is curriculum. As already mentioned, no science and very little social studies; students are ill prepared for science in High School, and in most cases, ill-prepared for math as well. And then there are the behavior issues. Bullying is rampant. Additionally, there is a great deal of infighting between the students on teams in seventh and eighth grade as one team considers themselves to be above the others. My oldest couldn't wait to leave, my youngest will leave soon.

We have three students attending. We have found the teachers to be commited, talented, caring, and very willing to accomodate the needs of our kiddos? The skilled leadership and vision of Principal Joan Cavallo, who received Principle of the Year Award for k-8 in 2012, is a great asset. Continuing investment in the facilitiy and the staff At SACS is paying off.

Being a student, who is on his last week of being as St. Albans City School, I do know quite a bit more than all of the parents who rate this school poorly. This school benefits from the new way it organizes classrooms. The "Teams/Communities" that City School has allows a student to have more social interaction during there time at the school. These Teams also allow the student to have much more freedom in how they learn. my Team has always focused on Project Based learning, making us lead and organize the projects and lessons instead of blindly following the teacher's every whim. Through my last two years at City School, I have learned how to talk well in front of an audience, lead a small to large group proficiently, and my time here has just increased my and the other students social skills overall. My Team at City School allowed us such freedom, to the point where we were allowed to challenge a teacher giving an assignment, and do so intelligently and politely. Any parent who rates this school poorly is just afraid that students, their children, are learning any other way besides the inefficient way they did.

The nick name my 7th grader came home with for his school: St. Alban's S*it*y School. The name fits. Middle school classes are huge as the whole "learning community" is in one space at one time and whoever wrote that it is chaos was right. This is hard for students who have difficulty focusing.

Google the superintendent's name and CASE#: 08A304732 and you will know why the school has so many problems.

I am a student. This school may be ok for little kids, but it is not ok for middle schoolers. Instead of teaching science and social studies, they have 21st Century: Hours of chaos in a room with 60 students learning about Obama and Liberal politics, very little real social studies, no science. There is no way we will be prepared for High School. Thanks for posting the NECAP scores. That is one more way we have been lied to - the scores may be up a little in some areas, but overall we are clearly in worse shape than we were before they put us on (imagine a negative adjective) teams.

Last modified St. Albans City Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.