No rating

St. Johnsbury Academy

Private | 9-12 | 974 students

Living in St. Johnsbury

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $116,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $752.

Posted July 2, 2014

Good: 1. Has many unique opportunities ie. meeting international students, starting and joining clubs, international trips. 2. Somewhat large campus (campus map available) Bad: 1. Terrible surrounding town. Only things to do are eating at restaurants, go to movies, go bowling, seriously limited shopping, or maybe find interesting event at local art center (Catamount Arts) 2: Dorm students have very little freedom and if caught breaking rules will have little to no freedom.

Posted February 13, 2014

St. Johnsbury Academy is one of the finest schools in this country. Students learn what it is like to dress for success and interact with international cultures. An old world look towards the highest education possible for all students no "dumming down" the curriculum where scores are more important than individual success. I am a proud alumnus and am proud that my children are and now my grandchildren will be graduating from such a fine school!

Posted January 6, 2013

Our son attended the Academy for all four years, went on 1 international trip, took 5 AP courses, played different sports all four years (Varsity Letter), and went on to an Ivy League school on a 4 year scholarship. He has since graduated from that school and moved on to even better things. You can draw your own conclusions. Ask yourself, what is more important; what you learn and where you go, or what you wear and who you know?

Posted September 19, 2012

Although it is only yet a month into the school year, I am waffling over my decision to attend the Academy this year. The school seems like a great place for some, however, not all, as I have found out. The teachers, although seemingly outgoing, merely assign work, versus explaining and describing it as a good teacher was. Evidently, one teacher them self said that, "A good teacher doesn't make things hard, but rather easy. A good teacher makes it easy to learn hard material." Although this is contrary to this website's criteria for a "good school", I believe it to be true. Yet another thing I have found is anyone with a commute longer than a half hour will have extreme difficulty participating in any school-affiliated extracurricular activities while taking an accelerated course load. Most homework assigned could otherwise be completed in class, but class time is spent completing activities unrelated to school. I'm sure that the above review is just a chip of the school and what it has to offer, as my brother adores the school himself, but I cannot say the same. It has enlarged my scholastic experience, but it is not one I can say I have enjoyed.

Posted July 25, 2012

I visited the Academy when I was in junior high. The atmosphere was an immediate turnoff to me. Most of the teachers had an air of egotistical intimidation, which seemed to create a negative dynamic among the students as well. There is a very tense vibe to the whole place that is actually very spooky, almost like a battlefield. It's a strange place to say the least, and like other people here have said if you're not the life of the party, you might as well not even be there because that's exactly how you'll be treated. I'm a pretty outgoing person and I've always done well in school, but I don't want to be a part of anything that treats shy people like they need to change who they are to be accepted. It's hard enough being a teenager without your high school making you feel like you can't be who you are. Thanks but no thanks, St. J Academy!

Posted September 3, 2011

I find it funny what the person behind me said. The academy started only one day before that review was made. Though the school does have a strict policy it is very easy to fallow and second chances will be given. I had gotten in trouble and where even though I could have been expelled I wasn't and was given a second chance. I am part of VTLSP which is a leadership club that helps out other students and the state and I do Cross Country and Basketball and may be doing Ultimate in the Spring I have to say that the athletic programs are fantastic. Schooling is great too. When I went to elementary and middle school I felt like I wasn't being challenged enough but once I got here I felt like I had found my place. The teachers are amazing and do their best to help the students understand what is going on. Yes, dress code can be tough at first but very quickly you get used to it and in all honestly I like it better. I'd rather see a girl in dress cloths then one with her stomach hanging out and wearing booty shorts or a guy wearing his jeans down low and a hat on. With the dress code it makes the students look very professional. I am happy to come here and would recommend it to anyone.

Posted August 24, 2011

i hate it at the academy. the dress code is too strict and they dont punish all students fairly. im in a situation with another student who is just as wrong as i am and im on the verge of being kicked out and that student gets to stay. not that i complain about leaving... like i said, they're too uptight, and there is too many people. i do like that they give a chance for teens of other places a chance to come here but there is just too many people. they need to treat all students equally and punish them equally.

Posted June 25, 2011

As someone that just graduated as part of the class of 2011, I do have to say that I did enjoy attending the school, mostly because of the student body, the breadth of extracurricular activities, and the challenging aspect of a lot of the classes; this was up until my junior year though. Since my junior year (2009-2010) the administration has turned the tide against the common interest of the student body due to unfair initiatives that have taken place. Before my junior year it seemed as though the administration treated everyone equally, but since then they've shown a major bias towards the interests of athletes and other student leaders, and have also gotten a tighter grasp on everyone's personal lives in and out of the school community. There have been more unfair punishments put down upon certain students than before, and other students haven't received anything for their actions because the administration is aware of their positive stature within the school community. As a student leader myself, I believe this is absolutely shameful and every student should be treated equally regardless of their standing. As one parent said below about not speaking up, those reasons are true.

Posted April 28, 2011

My 2 daughters graduated from SJA and my son is a junior there. I've always had the highest regard for the student body, the teachers and advisors and the athletics department, which my son is heavily involved with. As with anything else, you get out of it what you put in. It has made the high school experience positive and extraordinary for them.

Posted August 16, 2010

Under the current leadership, this school has gone down hill. The Dean of Students attempts to exert a Gestapo like control over the students, in all aspects of their personal life both in and out of school. The headmaster is an extremely weak leader, and exhibits little regard for the concerns of parents and students unless they are boarders. The standards of discipline are unfair and dorm students are not held to the same accountability. The guidance department is not particularly helpful, and the special education is poorly run. Many parents, students, and faculty are unhappy with the status quo, but due to administration's gestapo like tactics won't speak out for fear of retaliation.

Posted August 13, 2010

The Academy is, in essence, a great community. The teachers are excellent for the most part, and the student body is very welcoming. However, these great qualities are all overshadowed by the less than mediocre leadership, particularly in the area of discipline. The administration, with its almost gestapo-like policy, has done everything it can to foster resentment in both students and faculty alike. With their clearly deep Catholic roots, the administration, particularly the dean of students, has taken it upon themselves to assume a role no highschool should, that of the parent. With an intrusiveness almost Orwellian in nature, the administration have come to invade all facets of student life, in and outside school. Due to this problem, multiple teachers actually left out of sheer disgust. If this is to change it is imperative that both students and parents alike take a more proactive role in keeping the administration in check.

Posted June 14, 2010

As a studen at this school I would first like to start off by saying that the student body is amazing, almost every teacher is willing to go to the end of the earth to help, the clubs and activities are endless, and the international trips available to you every year are some of the best experiences possible. However that being said as a student about to enter my senior year I feel as though though the school is on a downward slope because of a lack of good leadership from the upper levels of facualty. Despite having some of the best and brightest teachers possible the disciplinary and leadership posititions are not run well and can become a major turn off for students and parents alike. Along with that there is a personal bias in several different area's including athletics, punishment, dress code, and the day versus dorm student.

Posted August 18, 2009

Our sons chose to attend the Academy because of the athletics and academics. The choice of courses is almost overwhelming, from vocational to AP. The school is open to local as well as boarding students, because most of the surrounding towns have school choice. Our sons have classmates from all over the world and from all socio-economic levels. If a student has a problem, the staff and faculty are willing to help.

Posted April 16, 2009

This is an amazing school. The standards are high and the teachers are committed to help the student succeed in their availability for conference periods. Love this school!!!

Posted February 6, 2008

We moved to St. Johnsbury so that our children could attend this excellent high school. Now in 9th & 11th grades, they are enjoying the great academics and wonderful variety of extra-curricular activities offered. It has been a great move for us!

Posted November 29, 2007

My son transferred from a public high school in Ca where there are often over 20 students in a class. With the much smaller classes in SJA and caring trachers, he is getting a lot of encouragement and showing a lot more interest in school.

Posted April 23, 2005

This is the finest high school I have ever seen. My child transfered to St. Johnsbury Academy from a private high school in Beverly Hills, CA. She was challenged, and learned alot of new skills. She accelled in Art, Drama, Mechanics, Culinary, and was even able to take a trip to Japan after taking an accelerated Japanese Course. The teachers are excellent and the headmaster was extremely helpful in getting my daughter situated since she has had to learn to live without me in a dorm with many other children. I found that the discipline was very good and my child even told me about a time when a friend of her's, wore a skirt that was too short. She was sent home immediately to find other attire. I recommend this school to everyone! This school will definitely prepare your child for college! A+++

Posted December 30, 2004

We moved to Vermont in part so that our son who is a 9th grader could attend SJA. We are VERY pleased with the academics, the extent of the course offerings, the faculty, and the outreach made to parents. School clubs are numerous, and faculty lead. Athletics are open to everyone, and are very supportive of even those with moderate talent. Lastly, we love the dress code (No jeans, boys must wear ties). It makes school seem like the responsibility that it should be to our son.

Posted November 19, 2004

i think that this school is extremely biased in its athletics and in scholastic achievement. the dress code does nothing for this school, people are getting harassed no matter what.

Posted October 22, 2004

Both of our sons are boarding students at SJA, grades 10 and 12. We have been extremely pleased with all aspects of the school - the Headmaster's leadership, teacher quality, academic offerings, as well as safety and discipline. There is a positive atmosphere. The students are well-supervised, in a structured environment. The teachers are enthusiastic, and all we've met were well qualified in their field. They seem to take a personal interest in each student. The range of academic offerings is wide, from standard to accelerated and AP courses. Finally, the facilities are impressive. Our experience has been nothing but positive.

Asian 14% 1%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school We receive students from over 50 regional town and village schools
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Japanese
Korean
Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Vermont Advanced Placement Scholar (individual) (2008)
  • Siemens Advanced Placement Award (High School) (2007)
  • Siemens Advanced Placement Award (individual) (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Founded in 1842, the academy is well-grounded in the history of our community. the founding family of the academy, the fairbanks, established several cultural institutions in st. johnsbury to bring cultural and educational services to its residents. the academy is joined by the st. johnsbury athenaeum and the fairbanks museum and planetarium