No rating

Burgundy Farm Country Day School

Private | PK-8 | 288 students

Living in Alexandria

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $317,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,380.

Posted April 23, 2014

Our child loves the school and the close-nit environment has really helped our child gain confidence. We also feel that the academic environment is appropriately challenging. We are surprised and disappointed at how unresponsive and dismissive the administrators can be toward parent questions, suggestions, or concerns. While the weekly newsletter helps keep parents informed, it can take days for a call or email to be returned, and, even then, little follow up to see if the issues raised have been addressed. Indeed, we have even found an air of arrogance if suggestions are critical to the current structure -- as though parents couldn't possibly have anything to offer when it comes to educating children. Disappointing, to say the least.

Posted August 30, 2012

I am one of the Class of 2012 graduates, and I attended Burgundy for 10 years. Not only does this school have rigorous academics, but also helps each student learn who they are as a learner, a thinker, a friend, a person, or a leader. Burgundy cherishes and strives to maintain the rich diversity and to engage the whole child in hands-on learning that instills respect for themselves, others, and the natural world. I could not recommend Burgundy more for any child. I had the most amazing experiences, made strong friendships, and enjoyed the interesting and intense academics. I loved every minute of it and will definitely stay in touch with the school!

Posted January 21, 2012

I am an 8th grade student at Burgundy, and I have been going here for 9 years. I cannot recommend it more highly, and I think that if you are looking for a nurturing environment with excellent teacher-student relationships, Burgundy is the place for you. Definitely consider sending your child to Burgundy--I have loved every minute of my time here!

Posted August 4, 2010

The finest middle school in Northern Virginia! A progressive, curriculum that encourages children to think independently.

Posted March 13, 2010

I have three children that have gone through Burgundy--the quality of the teachers is uneven. Do your research and make sure your child gets into the class with the 'good' teachers.

Posted January 31, 2010

I am about to graduate from Burgundy Farm Country Day school, and i think it's a great school. It prepares the whole child, for the whole world. And I thank Burgundy for doing that. Even though it's on the short side.

Posted November 26, 2009

Burgundy is the most amazing school that you could send your child to. The teachers are always there to help you succeed--they want you to succeed. The 25-acre campus IS your classroom because you are taught with a hands-on approach. In middle school (6-8), you are given responsibility and you have this sense of trust in you because your teachers are preparing you for life. There are alums who say that they visit high schools and they already know most of the material that the teacher is giving them because it was already taught at Burgundy. And, I hear the younger students say: 'I can't wait until I'm in 8th grade!' but then one says, 'But when I'm in 8th grade, I'll have to leave!'. I think thats the best part: you never want to leave.

Posted March 14, 2009

I graduated from Burgundy in '07 after being there since Pre-K, and I will tell you it is an incredible school. The teachers are wonderful and they really want their students to succeed, everyone is incredibly friendly, and when I moved on to high school I felt academically prepared. There is only one downside to this school: nobody ever wants to leave! I miss Burgundy so much and I will cherish all the wonderful times I had there for forever.

Posted January 2, 2009

My children absolutely love Burgundy and so do we. The teachers are amazing, engaged and dynamic. The children spend a lot of time outdoors playing and learning, which makes for joyful kids. The academics are challenging. The parents are friendly and involved. My 5 and 6 year old wake up on the weekend and ask if it is a school day and are disappointed when we say no - what more could you ask for?

Posted August 26, 2008

Our kids can't wait for the school year to start; they love their school. Burgundy is the best kept secret of the Washington, DC area school scene. Great campus, a focus on the outdoors and the environment, a 'whole child' approach, interested and interesting teachers, bright & lively kids.

Posted May 28, 2008

Burgundy is a wonderful place to grow and learn. The progressive approach, the beautiful campus, the caring teachers...it all truly inspires a love of learning, and that's what's important, right? Burgundy families are also very down to earth. There is virtually zero 'snob factor'. Burgundy graduates are highly regarded and they are readily admitted to the best public and private high schools in the area. Our children love it and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Posted April 4, 2007

Burgundy Farm Country Day School provides a nuturing and supportive environment for all kinds of learners. Children are respected for their uniqueness. Additionally, they are expected to be meaningful contributors to the world we share. So the school seeks to provide a special place for individual learners while also instilling a sense of responsibility to the group or world at large. BFCDS is a place that celebrates learning and the joys of being a life-long learner are reinforced through an experiential learning model that also includes rigorous academic standards. The standards, however, are in the service of learning, rather than the point or goal of learning. Teachers are happy to teach and learn alongside happy children.

Posted August 14, 2006

As a graduate student in PK-6 education who has two children at Burgundy, I can highly recommend this school to prospective families. The academics and social atmosphere foster a love of learning, respect for others, and concern for the larger world. Also, almost without exception, the children love being at school, and alumni remark on the life-changing experiences they had there. As to Burgundy's academics, children graduating from Burgundy are accepted at the finest schools in the Washington area, including Sidwell Friends, Maret, National Cathedral and Thomas Jefferson. What a wonderful place!

Posted April 11, 2004

The environment at Burgundy was terrific for our K-2 son. Although the teachers really get to know your child well, they cannot provide differentiated instruction for the advanced child or child needing special help. They teach one way. After school care was terrific! Many children have private tutors come in to help them keep up in classes. Assess instruction or curriculum. There is a new head master so would expect some improvements.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3700 Burgundy Road