Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

Posted January 12, 2016
I am a former teacher at Bucknell, and I must say that I appreciate it even more now that I am in a new school district. Bucknell's staff is very strong and works hard to make accommodations for all students. They put students' needs above standardized testing and care about the whole child, including their academic, social, and emotional well-being. I see that some parents have had bad experiences at Bucknell, but I encourage you to talk with your teacher if you have concerns and remember that everyone brings their own perspective to the situation.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 17, 2015
Following my parent-initiated parent/teacher meeting, my daughter is beginning to learn spelling and reading. If I had not initiated a meeting, and did nothing else to encourage my daughter to learn, I think she would be ignored in class and could be told to repeat 1st grade!

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted November 17, 2015
My first grade daughter is not developing any grit in response to her class experiences. I have to tell her to keep her chin up, and also to try to make friends, not make enemies.

Bucknell Elementary School 1

Posted October 26, 2015
The worst school ever at least for Preschool Especial education .Some staff members are mean, cruel, and unkind .Do not be surprise if your child tells you that someone grabbed their arms and administration will do nothing about it. My child is still traumatized and the school will not allow change classroom or transfer to another school. I strongly advice against sending your preschooler to this school.

Posted January 27, 2015
I used to go there it was the best years of my life the teachers are amazing and so are the students.

Bucknell Elementary School 4

Posted September 13, 2014
As a teacher with updated access to our test scores and student data, I'd like to state that Great Schools' published information not entirely accurate and the scores are based on the smallest populated school in FCPS. Bucknell has the most team-motivated staff that I've seen, and it is the 3rd FCPS school that I have worked in. There is a caring drive to create and cater the best possible education for each student, while improving the scores. I'm thrilled to be part of the faculty here, and I would recommend any parent to review the accurate school profile that is posted by FCPS as a VA State Requirement. Yes, we have areas for improvement and a unique student body, but in no way do I believe that we are a 1 out of 10 school. I wish there was more focus on the teachers and programs than test scores, but that's the country we live in.

Bucknell Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
My son attended the early childhood (special ed) program at Bucknell for the 2013-2014 school year. I am glad that we moved away. The teacher that my son had was unprepared for the school year. Lack of communication between parent and teacher was one of my biggest problems. I had no idea what he was doing in school all morning. This teacher was always "So busy" that she could not respond to my questions in a timely fashion. She had no idea how to answer some of the questions I had for her regarding my son, her lesson plan and what I would think were normal concerns when having a special needs child. It is very frusterating as a parent when the teachers will or cannot reply or tell you anything about what is going on. I am looking for a school that wants the children to excel in school even with their disabilities. I don't need a day care, I need a school that is committed to ALL students. I met the asst. principle at the end of the school year when my son was having his yearly IEP. They are more concerned about the kids and test scores then the special ed children. If you can, go somewhere else if you have a special needs child. At least with the Preschool program.

Posted April 18, 2011
My children have attended several school in the Fairfax County District, and I can not say enough good things about the experience that we are having at Bucknell Elementary School. My daughter adores her school and all of the activities that it is offering her during the school hours. The staff is caring and make sure that the students understand what is expected of them. They strive for excellence and have almost achieved it from all of thier students. My daughter is part of the FBI program that has given her the oppurtunity to see some of the most historical sites in the area. They learn what it is to be successful by hearing Dr. Ben Carson speak at the John Hopkins. The other day they went to "Clydes Restuarant" to learn how to eat properly. Her teacher, Mrs. Kirschmiere, gives her entire being to the class. She always has time to chat and give you feedback. I appreciate her more than you can imagine. I love this school and realize how much the care that is given in the child by the school has resulted in my daughter being positive about her success and willingness to excel.

Posted March 16, 2010
This is one of the most caring school environments I have seen at this level. My daughter is a student in the 4th grade and has enjoyed Bucknell Elementary since her first year in kindergarten. A more caring bunch of teachers would be very hard to find.

Posted March 01, 2006
I am very pleased with Bucknell, my twins started kindergarten 2005-2006 and I'm pleased with their academic and the staff is awesome; Great jobs to the Principal and Vice Principal.

6925 University Dr, Alexandria, VA  22307
Last modified Bucknell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.