Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 1,028

Whitman Middle School 2

Posted May 11, 2015
I am a STUDENT at Whitman Middle, and it is a disorganized and dysfunctional school. Some of the teachers can be very professional and strive other students to do well while some on the other hand are unprofessional. Sadly, a good portion of the students school do not value education. If you want your children to be in the best classes they can be be, then I definitely recommend enrolling your kid in the Honors courses, they generally have good students. This school could be great at some times too, but don't forget parents, you may have knowledge of this school, but is the students that have the most. If you want to know how a school is, you should listen to the students. Also if you are a military parent, moving could be traumatizing for your kids if they loved where they were.

Whitman Middle School 4

Posted March 22, 2015
The Teachers/Admin at Walt Whitman are the best! It is well-run, organized and clean. The staff/parents promote activities on/off campus and in the MVHS Pyramid. Mr. Richard Millet is my daughters guidance counselor. She was dealing with a behavioral disorder, I was afraid she could be teased. Mr. Millet checked in with her, did research, sent links as to his findings, offered counseling within the school. My daughter is finishing up her 8th grade year at Walt Whitman, taking full Honors, including Honors Band (Barbara Dobberstein's leadership has pulled in a dozens of trophies rated Superior!) . She is challenged by the curriculum. The teachers respond to email and send bi-weekly progress reports! Every teacher stays after school. This has helped with my daughter bring up her grades. I support our local school system. When schools are judged based on the socio-economic status of the demographic attending it is unfair. The facts are that your child will receive a very good education at WWMS; they will be safe and be encouraged by their teachers to strive to do their best; they will be prepared for whatever high school they move to next, but especially for the rigor of the IB.

Posted March 12, 2015
I have one daughter who attended Whitman for 7th and 8th grade and now our second is in the 7th grade at Whitman. We could not be happier with the school, teacher, and administration. I feel that the academic level has been rigorous and is preparing the students for high school and their future. The teachers and administrators have taken a personal interest in my girls. Our oldest was chosen to be student of the month her 7th and 8th grade years. One of the assistant principals found that he and our younger daughter had something in common and often seeks her out to discuss their shared interest. We can from a much smaller school so this personal attention was a welcomed surprise. My kids have never been very interested in the arts but thanks to Ms. Prince and Ms. Young they were able to find a new interest. Ms. Prince, Ms. Young, Ms. Foster and Mr. Stooks are just some of the excellent teachers my kids have had. The school and administration goes out of their way to involve the community and parents. We are extremely pleased with everything we have encountered at Whitman Middle School.

Posted November 14, 2013
My daughter just started Whitman this fall and they have done an excellent job at helping her get acclimated. I love the bi-weekly progress reports emailed to me, and the staff and teachers have all been responsive to my questions and concerns. My daughter is in all Honors classes, which are challenging (that's a good thing). I feel the work, the level of education, safety and overall school has been wonderful. Most important is that my daughter is happy there. I have not heard of any fights or drama. Lots of fun after school activities though! We are happy with the school.

Posted August 28, 2013
Too many fights, drama, i would never suggest you go to Whitman. They have horrible teachers and my child nearly failed. The principal has control issues and does things that are not the best choice such as holding children,all children, in one room until 5 minutes before the bell rings.

Whitman Middle School 4

Posted November 12, 2012
Alright, I'm an eighth grader at Walt Whitman, and yes I complain about it to my friends and family. But it really isn't a bad school. There are a lot worse. Occasionally there's a fight in the hallway, but most of it is seventh graders who think they're all that. All of the teachers are great. except my seventh grade english teacher last year, but that's over. They have decent food, and some really cool clubs and electives. This school is not as bad as people say it is.

Posted April 30, 2012
I am a parent that believes strongly in education. From my perspective, a school is just one component of a comprehensive education that is the primary responsibility of the parents. My daughter attended Walt Whitman for just over a year. This school falls short of fundamental educational expectation and fails the children at every turn. The majority of the children that come out of this school are ill-equipped for any real academic challenges, and are severely under educated. Unfortunately, in FCPS one is relegated to a school in the zip code in which they can afford to live. This policy leaves many parents with few educational options for their children. If I knew then what I know now, I would have quit my job and home schooled my daughter. In the end, we sacrificed other things to move to an area of the district with better schools. The fact that FCPS can have some of the best performing schools in the state and the the worst (within miles of each other) is incomprehensible and speaks volumes about the pervasive culture of apathy and inequality within the district.

Whitman Middle School 3

Posted April 30, 2012
Sadly, this school has faults, but also has cons, as does everything else. Some teachers are excellent and show great teaching styles, while incorporating fun with the lessons, while some teachers just do the material straight from the paper. It is true the principal isn't doing anything useful to fix this, and is supposedly worsening the environment, but some of the blame goes to the kids, and we all know which ones we are talking about. There are excellent kids that breeze through material, while there are slackers, violent adolescent who are "underprivileged" and are not smart. These kids cause most of the disruption, but if your kid doesn't apply them self to an honor class, then it is likely she is gonna get behind because of these students. and if your student just came to the school and is scared of all the "noise and recent problems", remind your selves that it is in fact, the end of the school year. As a fellow student, I believe Walt Whitman does a mediocre job OVER ALL.

Posted September 22, 2011
Bad School. Principal has control issues and is changing everything about this school. School failed to meet NO child left behind for 6 straight years . They must change something, just because its a tile 1 school. doesn't mean childern shouldn't learn like they do in a Good FCPS middle school.

Posted June 26, 2011
I was a Whitman Wildcat from 2009-2011 and enjoyed both of my seventh and eight grade years! I would like to give a shout out to teams 7-4 and 8-7. Also, Our former principal Mr.Davis, English teacher Ms.Parrish, and my wonderful chorus teacher Mrs. Fleming-Dillon!!!! :D Whitman Middle School is A W E S O M E ! Every student who attends this school should feel Wildcat Pride as I did. :]

Whitman Middle School
2500 Parkers Ln, Alexandria, VA  22306
Last modified Whitman Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whitman Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top