Alexandria, VA
Students enrolled: 1,028

Posted November 14, 2013
My daughter just started Whitman this fall and they have done an excellent job at helping her get acclimated. I love the bi-weekly progress reports emailed to me, and the staff and teachers have all been responsive to my questions and concerns. My daughter is in all Honors classes, which are challenging (that's a good thing). I feel the work, the level of education, safety and overall school has been wonderful. Most important is that my daughter is happy there. I have not heard of any fights or drama. Lots of fun after school activities though! We are happy with the school.

Posted August 28, 2013
Too many fights, drama, i would never suggest you go to Whitman. They have horrible teachers and my child nearly failed. The principal has control issues and does things that are not the best choice such as holding children,all children, in one room until 5 minutes before the bell rings.

Whitman Middle School 4

Posted November 12, 2012
Alright, I'm an eighth grader at Walt Whitman, and yes I complain about it to my friends and family. But it really isn't a bad school. There are a lot worse. Occasionally there's a fight in the hallway, but most of it is seventh graders who think they're all that. All of the teachers are great. except my seventh grade english teacher last year, but that's over. They have decent food, and some really cool clubs and electives. This school is not as bad as people say it is.

Posted April 30, 2012
I am a parent that believes strongly in education. From my perspective, a school is just one component of a comprehensive education that is the primary responsibility of the parents. My daughter attended Walt Whitman for just over a year. This school falls short of fundamental educational expectation and fails the children at every turn. The majority of the children that come out of this school are ill-equipped for any real academic challenges, and are severely under educated. Unfortunately, in FCPS one is relegated to a school in the zip code in which they can afford to live. This policy leaves many parents with few educational options for their children. If I knew then what I know now, I would have quit my job and home schooled my daughter. In the end, we sacrificed other things to move to an area of the district with better schools. The fact that FCPS can have some of the best performing schools in the state and the the worst (within miles of each other) is incomprehensible and speaks volumes about the pervasive culture of apathy and inequality within the district.

Whitman Middle School 3

Posted April 30, 2012
Sadly, this school has faults, but also has cons, as does everything else. Some teachers are excellent and show great teaching styles, while incorporating fun with the lessons, while some teachers just do the material straight from the paper. It is true the principal isn't doing anything useful to fix this, and is supposedly worsening the environment, but some of the blame goes to the kids, and we all know which ones we are talking about. There are excellent kids that breeze through material, while there are slackers, violent adolescent who are "underprivileged" and are not smart. These kids cause most of the disruption, but if your kid doesn't apply them self to an honor class, then it is likely she is gonna get behind because of these students. and if your student just came to the school and is scared of all the "noise and recent problems", remind your selves that it is in fact, the end of the school year. As a fellow student, I believe Walt Whitman does a mediocre job OVER ALL.

Posted September 22, 2011
Bad School. Principal has control issues and is changing everything about this school. School failed to meet NO child left behind for 6 straight years . They must change something, just because its a tile 1 school. doesn't mean childern shouldn't learn like they do in a Good FCPS middle school.

Posted June 26, 2011
I was a Whitman Wildcat from 2009-2011 and enjoyed both of my seventh and eight grade years! I would like to give a shout out to teams 7-4 and 8-7. Also, Our former principal Mr.Davis, English teacher Ms.Parrish, and my wonderful chorus teacher Mrs. Fleming-Dillon!!!! :D Whitman Middle School is A W E S O M E ! Every student who attends this school should feel Wildcat Pride as I did. :]

Posted May 03, 2011
This school is horrible. Not only do you have to constantly provide the same information to multiple staff members, when you do it's like they never received it. If you have a child with special needs, please please take my advice and RUN as far as you can from this school. It borderline discriminates against children with disabilities. The staff has not been trainned to work with children with special needs. I would go as far to say they haven't had ANY type of basic training it's sad. I am in the military and my son is zoned for this school. Trust me if the funds were available for private school it would be BYE BYE WHITMAN!

Posted July 30, 2010
i love this school and i want to give a special thanks to team 7-4 which are...Mr.Henrich,Mrs.Blunt,Ms.Smith,and Mrs.Steward worlds

Whitman Middle School 2

Posted April 26, 2010
I am currently going to the school and i don't really like it. It's a great school for goofinf off but for students who take their education seriously it doesn't really mmet the expectations. I moved just this year and my former school had a lot more options. Some teachers are great teachers but some need to get their act together and act like the grown ups they are and they need to become organized. I hate the hallways. they're always full or people loud and the school might be completly against drugs, bullying and fight but it surely doesn't stop them from happening....I can't wait to get out of the school but i know that i will miss my friends.

Whitman Middle School
2500 Parkers Ln, Alexandria, VA  22306
Last modified Whitman Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whitman Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top