Alexandria, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted July 27, 2014
We have been thrilled with this school for both of my children. My older son had an IEP and I was impressed with how organized and attentive the staff was (he no longer has an IEP currently). The schol has a small town school feel in a big metro area. The office staff is friendly as are the administration and teachers and school spirit abounds. I'm very pleased with the education my children are receiving.

Posted June 19, 2014
Hayfield is a great school with wonderful teachers who cares and works hard to help your children, develop into great, productive and successful individuals in society.

Posted June 17, 2014
I volunteer at this school and I find the school to be very exicited in it staff and also with the students. The school has many new on-line programs from IXL math, myown reading and also e-books. Great staff and great environment.

Hayfield Elementary School 2

Posted May 19, 2014
Don't be fooled by the score this school received. Yes, it looks great on paper, but that's about it. If you are concerned with your child getting a good education this is not the school for you. They are obsessed with testing; pre-tests, tests, standardized tests. I'm not sure when they actually teach, or how much time they actually devote to teaching versus preparing for the next test. They don't seem to want to help kids who have learning difficulties. Instead they just keep passing them along to the next grade. I'm sure there are some good teachers at this school. Unfortunately, out of the 4 teachers my kids have had only 1 was good. We've been in constant contact with the teachers and haven't gotten anywhere. Have even had meetings with the Assistant Principal, only to have it dumped back in our lap to deal with. But if your child fits nicely into the mold of the ideal public school student you'll be fine.

Posted March 09, 2013
Hayfield Elem has provided the perfect environment for my sons. They made a lot of great friends (we're military). The whole community is so welcoming, but most important THIS school's faculty seems to put more time and effort with "sincerity" into the students and parents. It definitely shows in VA standard testing-ALL grade levels(3-6grd) passed well "above" the "state average". I'm really concerned with English/Reading which they scored over 90% (avg 80+%) and Math which they score above the State average consistently. I love that this school is NOT overcrowded. The principal is so actively involved. I always know what's going on via email and voice recordings. I like volunteering and was surprised at the huge volunteer appreciation party that the faculty put together for all volunteers. This is a GREAT school and I'm so glad we're a part of it!

Hayfield Elementary School 3

Posted August 14, 2012
Hayfield has some great teachers. I do believe that they do not provide enough help for the students that need it. Most of the time the school is a safe and happy environment. However in the 2010-2011 school year their was a fight in the classroom. Most of the test scores are average at best. I find many students to not read enough or only reading material suitable for 2nd or 3rd graders. Plenty of the students turn their projects in late or never. Along with that this comment made by a fellow student shocked me. "My mom said I have to get a C on my science project." These students are only trying to cruise through their homework instead of striving to learn and do better. They are not interested in enjoying their time learning. I find this school to be average and lacking spirit in the education department.

Hayfield Elementary School 1

Posted August 19, 2010
Last year ,too much regression I felt in number of educative fields when testing and comparing my son with other of his age .

Hayfield Elementary School 0

Posted February 11, 2009
I dont know about general education. My son is diagnosed with high functioning autism. This is the best school if you have a high functioning student. They have a whole day inclusion with co teaching method. This helped wonderfully (only for HFA)for my son. he is picking up speech from his typical peers and no problems with acadamics as special education teacher is in the class room all the time.

Posted June 01, 2008
Students receive great overall education at Hayfield; the whole school system including staff and PTA are wonderful and supportive of all the children.

Posted October 16, 2007

Hayfield Elementary School
7633 Telegraph Rd, Alexandria, VA  22315
Last modified Hayfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hayfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top