Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Posted May 07, 2016
We love Cora Kelly! Our child is having an excellent Kindergarten year--came in barely knowing letters and is reading at a second grade level. The teachers are incredibly committed and talented. The school is the little engine that could--overcoming HUGE obstacles of poverty and language barriers like no other school in the district. Principal cares DEEPLY about EACH student and is doing amazing things. We are so happy to be a part of this great community.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary
Grateful to: Parent

Posted January 12, 2016
Some of the teachers seem very nice no real sense of security at the school I don't like how they let the students just leave the cafeteria at dismissal time but one teacher offered to look out after my kid for me and I really appreciate that

Posted January 12, 2016
New to Northern VA. We do not like Cora Kelly. Our child is zoned for this school which is why he attends. I will be researching other schools in the Alexandria City area and start the transfer process.

Posted September 24, 2014
I agree with last poster. Zero stars would be preferred option. Lovely group of teachers, but many suffer from PTSD due to principal's keep-you-on-edge style of leadership. No creativity on part of administration. Scores are dropping -- they only made AYP this year in English bec of the 3-year average. NO STEM -- why call it a Science/Math anything?

Posted September 08, 2014
I wish I could give this school 0 stars. I have no idea why they call this a magnet school, or even STEM school. This will be my son's second year and I am going to have him transferred somewhere else ASAP. He is not zoned for this school, but I chose it because he's coming from a college prep school in dc. STAY AWAY if you care about education. Last year in second grade he came home with repeating patterns work sheets and other "Baby" like work. Such as complete this pattern... aabbaabbaa.... (but with shapes). This year (3rd grade) and yes it's only the start of the second week, he's getting "Count to 100 by 1s" worksheets. He can NEVER tell me what he learned because "everyone was talking so we didn't get to learn much". I have never seen the STEM. They need to drop that from the name. A friend of mine who works with schools says the administration is a joke there and I concur. The teachers seem like they care, and I thought his teacher last year was very energetic and responsive. Unfortunately that's all the positive I could muster. On everything I love, stay away.

Posted August 12, 2014
squeaky wheels? ha, what a joke. there are not enough parents who can squeak loud enough, and the superintendent/school board aren't listening either. a principal with no communication skills, all about testing, testing, testing. no school community, prison sentence for new teachers -- first-year teachers beware, you will get used and abused! we moved our child. couldn't take it any more.

Posted February 24, 2014
This school has excellent teachers and excellent test scores. I have noticed that are a few squeaky wheel parents who post on here, but all the parents I know are very happy with the school. I do not know the principal well but the few times I needed his help he was very responsive. My child knows him and says the kids think he is great.

Posted February 09, 2014
that last post about CK and the principal must not know the school very well. if you have a below average achiever and only want them to focus on reading and math, send them to CK. If you want a real elementary school experience that includes full attention to science, social studies, the specials, PE, community, etc., send them somewhere else.

Posted February 08, 2014
Cora Kelly is one of the best elementary schools in Northern Virginia. The teachers are very dedicated and care about every student. The administration and support staff are dedicated to the mission of the school. When visiting the school it is clear the children are happy and learning. The principal has been there longer than most of the other elementary principals in ACPS and given his record of excellence it is clear he truly cares about the learning of all students.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 2

Posted December 01, 2013
Cora Kelly is not the school it was just a few years ago.I agree that the current administration's sole focus on math and reading test scores has effectively striped CK of all STEM and extra curricular activity. Community involvement in the school has been killed by the administration of the school. Not very long ago CK was a vibrant and high achieving STEM school that attracted bright kids from all corners of the city. Today it does a decent job teaching the how to read and pass the math SOLs but sadly little else. We have become so dissapointed in the direction of the school administration that we have removed my last child from the school. I hope that ACPS will soon see that what was a gem in the system has been gutted to a factory or regugitation.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary
3600 Commonwealth Ave, Alexandria, VA  22305
Last modified Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.