Alexandria, VA

Posted September 08, 2014
I wish I could give this school 0 stars. I have no idea why they call this a magnet school, or even STEM school. This will be my son's second year and I am going to have him transferred somewhere else ASAP. He is not zoned for this school, but I chose it because he's coming from a college prep school in dc. STAY AWAY if you care about education. Last year in second grade he came home with repeating patterns work sheets and other "Baby" like work. Such as complete this pattern... aabbaabbaa.... (but with shapes). This year (3rd grade) and yes it's only the start of the second week, he's getting "Count to 100 by 1s" worksheets. He can NEVER tell me what he learned because "everyone was talking so we didn't get to learn much". I have never seen the STEM. They need to drop that from the name. A friend of mine who works with schools says the administration is a joke there and I concur. The teachers seem like they care, and I thought his teacher last year was very energetic and responsive. Unfortunately that's all the positive I could muster. On everything I love, stay away.

Posted August 12, 2014
squeaky wheels? ha, what a joke. there are not enough parents who can squeak loud enough, and the superintendent/school board aren't listening either. a principal with no communication skills, all about testing, testing, testing. no school community, prison sentence for new teachers -- first-year teachers beware, you will get used and abused! we moved our child. couldn't take it any more.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 5

Posted February 24, 2014
This school has excellent teachers and excellent test scores. I have noticed that are a few squeaky wheel parents who post on here, but all the parents I know are very happy with the school. I do not know the principal well but the few times I needed his help he was very responsive. My child knows him and says the kids think he is great.

Posted February 09, 2014
that last post about CK and the principal must not know the school very well. if you have a below average achiever and only want them to focus on reading and math, send them to CK. If you want a real elementary school experience that includes full attention to science, social studies, the specials, PE, community, etc., send them somewhere else.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 5

Posted February 08, 2014
Cora Kelly is one of the best elementary schools in Northern Virginia. The teachers are very dedicated and care about every student. The administration and support staff are dedicated to the mission of the school. When visiting the school it is clear the children are happy and learning. The principal has been there longer than most of the other elementary principals in ACPS and given his record of excellence it is clear he truly cares about the learning of all students.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 2

Posted December 01, 2013
Cora Kelly is not the school it was just a few years ago.I agree that the current administration's sole focus on math and reading test scores has effectively striped CK of all STEM and extra curricular activity. Community involvement in the school has been killed by the administration of the school. Not very long ago CK was a vibrant and high achieving STEM school that attracted bright kids from all corners of the city. Today it does a decent job teaching the how to read and pass the math SOLs but sadly little else. We have become so dissapointed in the direction of the school administration that we have removed my last child from the school. I hope that ACPS will soon see that what was a gem in the system has been gutted to a factory or regugitation.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 2

Posted October 15, 2013
The teachers appear motivated and committed but much work needs to be done. Significant behavior problems and the adminsitration appears laxed in addressing the issues. I would not recommend this school.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 4

Posted January 28, 2013
My two children go to Cora Kelly and we are satisfied with the school. We feel that we have to work a lot with the kids ourselves to make sure that our kids are on top of the program. But we find the teachers approachable and understanding and willing to go extra mile.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary 4

Posted October 08, 2010
I think Cora Kelly is a hidden gem in the ACPS elementary system. Not surprisingly, as the district's only Science, Technology, Math & Engineering focus school, CK boasts science and math test scores that are among the highest in the ACPS system. Kids have a chance to go to science lab from the time they are in kindergarten and the science teachers are very experienced, wonderful teachers beloved by the kids. The school works hard to provide differentiated learning to ensure kids at all levels get the instruction they need. An annual science fair helps the kids strut their stuff for the community. The school has recently had an influx of new, young, energetic teachers at a variety of grade levels as well as a new principal and vice principal who are strongly devoted to improving student performance. CK is definitely a school on the rise.

Posted September 01, 2009
Poor teachers. Pathetic community support. Numerous behavior problems. Weak administration. Teachers teach to tests, but students still barely pass. Would not ever willingly put my child in a school like this.

Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary
3600 Commonwealth Ave, Alexandria, VA  22305
Last modified Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cora Kelly Magnet Elementary Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top