No rating

Westminster School

Private | PK-8 | 264 students

Our school is best known for its well-rounded program.

Living in Annandale

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,520.

Posted July 15, 2010

My son graduated from Westminster last month after nine years there. He went into Kindergarten and sweet little boy, and left Westminster a polished, polite, well educated, respectful young man. Westminster is EVERYTHING I had hoped it would be for him. My daughter is making her journey through Westminster now, and once again, it is everything I had hoped it would be. This is an excellent school.

Posted July 15, 2010

I worry for the emotional well-being of the children who attend this school. I worry that their little souls and voices are crushed as they go from grade to grade. I worry that the teachers are under so much pressure from their team leaders and dept. heads and the admin that they don't have time to nurture, they must go forward to the next quiz or test. The children aren't allowed to work together to learn essential team-building skills or figure out how they work together, they aren't allowed to speak unless spoken to, they aren't allowed to express themselves. I had to release my child from this oppression. Feel the energy of the Admissions Director and you'll know the mood/energy of the school. Beware...don't let the advertised curriculum and manicured campus fool you.

Posted July 14, 2010

Westminster School was a life changer for my daughter. Now, a successful, self-supporting recent college grad, she still sings the praises of the school, its staff, and headmaster. Not only did it provide her with a top-notch, well-rounded education, it equipped her with the life skills necessary to succeed in today's challenging world. To this day, she still maintains a close friendship with several of her Westminster classmates. The personal attention to each student's needs by staff and teachers is extraordinary. The West Minister experience provides students with a strong educational foundation, self-confidence and the discipline necessary for exceptional achievement in their high school and subsequent college years.

Posted July 14, 2010

I am a former student of Westminster School. Even though i only attended for 7th and 8th grade, i think this is an excellent school. It prepares you for life. This school teaches you moral values. Some of you claim that the Headmaster is not qualified. That does not matter. The headmaster is a great man who only wants to share his knowledge with the children that attend this school. And he loves every student like if he were their father. The parents writing bad reviews are just ticked off about one little incident. Yeah. Very mature of you "parents". This is such a childish way of behaving. Just because the school made a decision that not everyone agreed on does not mean you can write horrible reviews about it. So if you are considering of enrolling your child at Westminster, do it. You will not regret it.

Posted July 13, 2010

This school is a great institution. The teachers really care about their students and make every effort to help them succeed. When I started high school after 4 years at Westminster I was way ahead of the other students. The school helped me prepare for entering into honors and AP classes throughout high school. Westminster helps give students good work ethic, respect for others and confidence by encouraging students to be involved in their classes and present their opinions, etc. The headmaster is a very good man who really pours his heart into the school. There were hard times with challenging classes and what seem to be some dated rules but in retrospect, these things really worked well to teach me to be successful in high school and college. Parents have to really visit the school and see it for themselves. I only wish I could have gone there earlier!

Posted July 12, 2010

You show me a parent or a student that doesn't like The Big W and I will show you parents that have given birth to a child that can't rise to the excellence that Westminster represents. You sound so childish that the school is better off rid of your whole family. Anyone can retaliate in anger and post harmful comments on a website, but it takes an adult to walk away from a situation and accept defeat. You have proven yourselves less mature than the children that walk the halls. Sean Michael Dugan Westminster Alumni.

Posted July 9, 2010

I am a former student and my family was apart of this school for over a decade. Now I am sure if you are reading these posts you see either 5 stars or 1 stars only. That is because this school appeals to only a very set "crowd" of people. They are very elitist and discourage any views that differentiate from what they believe in. They have been known to kick families out who have disagree with some of the obscure methods of teaching or pretty much anything that the inept "'headmaster" does. The sports program is strong or at least once was and is headed by a great man. The teaching methods are out of date and their teachers mostly have little or no credentials, the headmaster has NO academic credentials. I do not recommend this school to any one who wants their child to grow up prepared for life.

Posted July 9, 2010

The school just sent out a mailing to "family and friends" mentioning this site, and asking for good reviews in light of some negative ones posted. Note the "good reviews" posted in the last few days. Yes, some people like the school. Others are "brainwashed" by thinking it is good. Times have changed, and the school has not. The school simply has not kept up. I predict it will be closed within 10 years if philosophies are not changed. My kids were ill-prepared for HS after attending there. As far as sending a letter out asking for good reviews, what a joke!!! Kind of like stuffing a ballot box... If that doesn't show you the integrity issues of the school, I don't know what will.

Posted July 9, 2010

Of the all the education I have received up through my master's degree, the classical education I received at Westminster has left the deepest, longest-lasting impression on me. Though I am an engineer by profession, I think that learning subjects such as Latin, literature, and history so early on has been critical to making me a well-rounded person and significantly contributed to my becoming a thinking, contributing member of society.

Posted July 9, 2010

I am a parent of a rising sophmore in Fairfax County. My son attended Westminster from K-8. Westminster has a challenging academic program and holds students to a high standard, this was just what he needed. He sucessfully completed French 3 and 4 pre-IB classes. (english, geometry, biology and world history.) I recommend that you schedule a visit and decide for yourself if Westminster is the right place for you child. I would also suggest that you read ALL the information provided by the schools you visit. Westminster provides a parent handbook that clearly states all their policies.

Posted July 9, 2010

A mailer begging for positive reviews? PLEASE. When you have to elicit positive press, you know you're in trouble. Yes, a number of children have fond memories of the place and have gone on to success in high school and college. Of course there are success stories, BUT, this school is ONLY right for a small percentage of families. IF your child is a quiet, mild-mannered and highly focused learner (preferably a girl), and MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, if YOU as a parent are prepared to check your participation in your child's education at the door and NEVER question athority in ANY way, this may be the place for you. --However, many long-time supporters have been leaving of late, and many more will follow. It is only a shadow of the school created by one honorable woman many years ago. Look and assess VERY carefully.

Posted July 8, 2010

I attended Westminster School for eight years and I can say it gave me the most wonderful education that I could have had. The administration gave me confidence and were always there to provide academic and emotional support. I have some of my best memories from there and am still friends with many people that were in my class. I was extremely well prepared for a very competitive private high school and a college that is ranked in the top 20 in the nation. I have a BA, MA and a JD and have used my Westminster training throughout my career. In addition to academics, Westminster nurtured athletic and artistic talents. I am so grateful that my parents sent me there and I cannot imagine sending my children anywhere else.

Posted July 8, 2010

As a parent of a rising sophomore to VA Tech (Go Hokies!) who is majoring in Engineering and consequently made Dean's list both semesters; I am confident that Westminster gave my child the learning and study skills essential to success in furthering education. Westminster goes to 8th grade and the decision to move on to another school for 9 - 12 is challenging: where will my child get such special attention? where will my child get the appreciation for the arts at another school? where will my child get the learning skill in sports? I have heard many parents wish that this school went all the way to 12th. Looking back, I'm glad we made the choices we did, but sending our child to Westminster was one of the best!

Posted July 8, 2010

Westminister School gives you exactly what they promise: a traditional education at a bargain price. The extras are impressive also: small class size, great facilities, motivated students and truly impressive diversity. The curriculum is challenging but teachers are universally ready to give personal attention to students. It is a school with a mission to provide a unique educational experience. The administration is serious about the curriculum,which is well thought out and established. Our son thrived in the atmosphere. We all have great memories of the plays and other events in which everyone participates. Great School!

Posted July 8, 2010

Westminster is a school that has a definite philosophy. The curriculum is traditional and challenging. Students are expected to be polite and kind. Classes are small and children become quite close to each other and to the staff. Our family loved it.

Posted July 8, 2010

i am proud of Westminster school and will always feel i gave all 5 of my kids the opportunity to receive a first rate education and to equip them to be prepared for life.Standards are high, teachers are tough,and they have been given an opportunity to excel,and if they care an opportunity to succeed.

Posted July 8, 2010

I do not know how to express my warm regards for this school. It took my imperfect children and educated them. Educated them to have a deep regard for all cultures and all creatures. Was it always perfect? No, but when is life always perfect. As long as approached the teachers or administrators and calmly expressed my concerns, everyone worked with me or my child until my child was happily making progress towards becoming the great people they have grown to become.

Posted July 8, 2010

After carefully looking at elementary schools in the entire metropolitan area, our three children attended Westminster, and received an excellent***** education! The Head of Westminster has a clear mission to maintain high standards. The teachers are rigorous, kind and caring. When our three children entered in 2nd grade and K, there was an outpouring of welcome and warmth from the students, parents, faculty and administration. Wesminster is the very BEST!

Posted July 8, 2010

I have had two daughters go through the entire process at Westminster School (K-8) and both have gained much from the experience. They participated in sports as well as the theatre programs and have thrived in their pursuits outside of school. We credit the school as well as our parenting type and their character with the successes they have achieved to date.

Posted June 17, 2010

Two of my children graduated from Westminster and we have never regretted sending them to this school. Yes, the academics is challenging and there is homework every night but the students rise to the challenge. My children learned self respect and self discipline. To this day, they can still finish the column in "Jeopardy" on Greek and Roman Gods! Their knowledge of French and Latin carried through to high school and college. They were very prepared for high school. The arts, athletic and theater programs are second to none. It's an excellent investment with lifelong outcomes.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Fx. County Volunteer Group of the Year (2012)
  • VDOT Award of Excellence for Adopt-A-Highway (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Core knowledge

• Humanities
  • Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer time after school