K-8 & Ungraded
Annandale, VA
Before care: Yes

Posted November 24, 2014
Oakwood is the place to be for children with learning and/or attention issues. Both our sons are now happy, thriving and achieving their full potential both academically and socially. The teachers and trained and equipped to help children with issues like dyslexia, executive functioning, ADHD, etc. Very small classes sizes, loving staff, highly professional teachers and administration. They also instill principles of leadership, responsibility and kindess.

Posted June 20, 2014
My son graduated last week after spending 3 years at Oakwood. He's on to high school next year. I hate to think about what my expectations were for his future when he started ... this positive experience has turned everything around for him and given him confidence as well as a good education. We're so grateful to the teachers and staff!

Posted October 29, 2013
Oakwood is a wonderful school for children with mild to moderate learning disabilities. The unbelievable talent of the teachers and administrators is second to none. Oakwood concentrates on not only providing the children with life time strategies to learn but to accept and embrace their differences which in turn bolsters their self confidence. The change in my children has been remarkable. I highly recommend this school to any parent struggling to find a place where their child may realize their limitless potential.

Posted October 27, 2013
We are extremely pleased with Oakwood School. The school has been a savior for our dyslexic daughter who was not getting her educational needs met in the public school system.

Posted October 26, 2013
Oakwood is my son's first school (other than preschool), and I am so thrilled because he now has only positive experiences with going to school. He absolutely loves it. And this is a child for whom school is not easy. The only part that he does not like, he tells me, is having to leave at the end of the day. As parents, we are also thrilled with the educational program and with the social and emotional skills that are fostered in the classroom. The teachers and the administrators are top notch, and the extent to which they care for the students is evident every day. They all go the extra mile and make the kids feel great. I would give more than five stars if I could.

Posted October 26, 2013
Speaking as a parent, this is the perfect environment for a child who is average-to-bright intelligence, but has some learning challenge such as dyslexia or ADHD. My son attended for 5th and 6th grade; my daughter is currently enrolled for 8th. Also, our home environment is much happier when my children feel understood and nurtured at school! They learn MUCH more here than at public school, and Oakwood helps them with organizational skills. I found the other private schools, Christian, and Catholic schools are not prepared to support the child with Learning Disabilities. We decided to spend some of our college savings HERE at Oakwood, to bolster our childrens' education and learning abilities, is these earlier critical years.

Posted October 25, 2013
I am in my 38th year as a staff member here at Oakwood School. If I did not think this staff was of the highest quality I would have left many years ago, BUT, the quality of the teaching staff is outstanding and Oakwood's students are the direct recipients of this superb, energetic, enthusiastic staff. Great, supportive parents, motivated, hard working students coupled with dedicated staff - all necessary ingredients for a highly successful school.

Posted October 25, 2013
We have been thrilled with Oakwood - and have noticed a tremendous difference in our son who attends, both from an academic perspective and in terms of personal confidence. We recommend Oakwood highly and feel so fortunate to be part of the Oakwood Team.

Posted October 24, 2013
What a blessing this school has been. Our child was "falling through the cracks" in the county school. He is a smart kid, not a problem, but has learning differences. Thank goodness he was accepted at Oakwood! We have been at this school for 6 years now, and it has been worth every penny. I would highly recommend this school for bright children with learning differences who need small classes and individualized attention and who function best in a caring, nurturing learning environment.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school changed the academic futures of our two children. They started in second and third grade not reading at all, frustrated, not feeling confident about their abilities, and we were flummoxed by a public school ( and private ones!) that didn't know how to help them. Now in our third year, our smart kids are now reading, happy, confident, learning, thriving, and excelling. Oakwood unlocked the treasure inside our children's brains and the kid we knew was inside. The best part is that Oakwood agreed to partner with us as a team. Each of their staff understands what your child needs and their methods/lessons tailored to the child are synchronized across the team from the principal, to each teacher, and speech and OT professionals so each time a child works with a different person those lessons are reinforced throughout the weeks activities. We also have to note, we have never had such open and frequent communication with teachers or principles like we have had at Oakwood. I wish every child who learns differently could have a school like Oakwood. The world would have access to a lot more brain power.

Oakwood School