Oakridge Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 668 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Posted August 27, 2014

Well, my kids transferred from another Arlington County Public elementary school within the last year. Unlike the other school that embraced us from day 1 until the time we left and afterwards for some administrative issues (to include the principal and VP), we unfortunately have had just the opposite experience here. We're hoping this gets better this year.

Posted August 15, 2014

Such a breath of fresh air, diversity of staff and students in Arlington is tough to come by, Oakridge is by far the best school we have been involoved with. While there are one or two "top of the ridge" parents who are upset about not recieving special treatment from the principal, from our perspective they were just upset that all the "poor" kids went to "their" school, even telling some that their children should have been forced to attend other schools. Other than that the community as a whole has embraced us from the start. The PTA always puts on great family friendly events that are well attended by staff.

Posted August 10, 2014

LOVE, love, love Oakridge Elementary. Our kids are not only learning they are having fun with so many after school activities and good field trips. We're lucky since we have neighbors who walk their kids to schools so ours sometimes join them. Summer school/camp is also offered. The school is in a quiet neighborhood. Teachers have been spectacular (Ms. Burgin, Ms. Guevara, Ms. Dickerson, Ms. Flannigan and her assistant Ms. Bayne): you can tell they love being there. Ms. Burgin has a goldfish that my son's class got to watch grow up. The annual Science Fair is awesome. Always enjoy the friendly welcome from the Principal, Ms. Wright at every event. The annual "Oakridge Spring Fling" is also a blast. Academics are good - there are a lot of activities, parks and libraries around Arlington as well to keep kids occupied.

Posted August 8, 2014

This is a great neighborhood school. Both of our kids have had fantastic teachers who are involved and responsive. There are good after-school activities, the neighborhood is safe (our kids walk to school or take the bus as we're about a mile away) and the school is nicely tucked in the neighborhood away from the main roads. We were new to this area, absolutely love our neighbors, and like being close to the school, library, and many parks including the new Long Bridge Park! Our kids are thriving here.

Posted May 28, 2014

Parental involvement and Teachers are great. Principal is awful...Dr. Wright divides and conquers both staff and parents. Vice-Principal just resigned due to disagreement (cover story is for illness). Some parents fear retribution on their children and will not confront her; many teachers feel the same way. Dr. Wright would best serve Oakridge by leaving it.

Posted May 6, 2014

Amazing school in S. Arlington. My son has been here for 4 years. Every teacher he's had has been engaged, positive, and communicates regularly with us about his progress. From the principal to the teachers and staff to the parents and kids - this is a wonderful, safe neighborhood school with an active PTA, teachers who like their jobs, and kids who walk and bus to school together. Love it

Posted February 21, 2014

I would not recommend this school, for the administration there. The teachers, if you get a great one, are amazing and they do seem to really care about the kids and try their best within the constraints placed on them by the admin and the county/state. I've seen poorer district schools run better than this school. There is no running allowed in PE, only skipping, fast walking or galloping. There are NO school celebrations allowed- because of a few exuberant parents and an overreacting principal, which they tried to claim was related to food allergies(but wasn't), which was made worse by the lack of clear and concise communication from the school. If you are new to the neighborhood, forget about fitting in-the PTA won't help you, nor will your neighbors. There is an obvious snob factor involved between those who have lived here their entire lives and those who haven't. A parent was ripped to shreds at a school meeting last night because she bravely disagreed with the party line. There are much better run schools in Arlington. Choose wisely.

Posted October 29, 2013

My twin daughters are in kindergarten with Ms. Garcia and Ms. Walker. I loved that we were able to decide whether my kids were in the same class. We opted to separate them. While this made the transition harder for my girls, their respective teachers were SO supportive. Both kids love their respective teachers and it's clear that their experiences at school have faciltated their emotional and intellectual growth. I feel fortunate to have had such a positive initial experience.

Posted October 21, 2013

My son in Kindergarten and this is his first year in public school, we had our fist PT meet and we are pleased with the support my son is getting from Mr. McConnell. He and Ms. Bayne are very much liked by my son and developed great understanding skills in the first quarter. He is able to develop great interest towards reading and enjoying his school.

Posted September 30, 2013

This is my third year teaching at Oakridge. I am a veteran teacher who has taught at 5 other schools across the country. I am very happy to be working with such fabulous staff and students at Oakridge. The teachers and administration are dedicated to high expectations and achievement for all students. Students come from many different backgrounds and are engaged in learning every day at Oakridge.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 3, 2013

Today was my daughter's first day. We attended orientation and met her teacher to allay her fears of attending a new school. Then today she was turned away by that teacher and told she had been moved to another classroom, I did not even know this had happened until after school. The principal said that she had been assigned to the brand new (hired 1 day after orientation) teacher all along.Then her forms packet came home with original teacher's name on it. You can't trust a word that comes out the mouth of the leader of this school which makes me worry about the integrity of the entire place. Not to mention, they had NO concern for my child's needs or confort level her first day at a new school.

Posted April 10, 2013

Oakridge Elementary School should be rated as the worst public school with a poor leadership from the principal!

Posted August 14, 2012

2011-2012 As a US Military family, this was my daughter's 6th school building in 4 school districts for 5th grade and my son's 4th school building in 3 school districts for 3d grade. We LOVED Oakridge!!! Excellent education and very welcoming to the military. Dr. Wright is a wonderful principal and very involved with the students! The teachers and staff are excellent! Mr. Nelson(5) and Mrs. Treadwell(3) were exceptional teachers who cared about each of their students and met their needs individually. They are very welcoming to parents helping out and volunteering. It is truly an International School with over 50 countries from around the world represented--a lot are children from International Military familiies whose parents are going to the National Defense University for the year. We were very sad to only get to spend one year at this school due to a move. Submitted by a parent

Posted August 14, 2012

2011-2012 As a US Military family, this was my daughter's 6th school building in 4 school districts for 5th grade and my son's 4th school building in 3 school districts for 3d grade. We LOVED Oakridge!!! Excellent education and very welcoming to the military. Dr. Wright is a wonderful teacher and very involved with the students! The teachers and staff are excellent! Mr. Nelson(5) and Mrs. Treadwell(3) were exceptional teachers who cared about each of their students and met their needs individually. They are very welcoming to parents helping out and volunteering. It is truly an International School with over 50 countries from around the world represented--a lot are children from International Military familiies whose parents are going to the National Defense University for the year. We were very sad to only get to spend one year at this school due to a move.

Posted October 7, 2011

The 2010-11 school year was the 1st year that we had a child at Oakridge Elementary. The school administration is really nice and professional. Everyone seems to really love and respect Dr. Wright, School Principal. My child was in Ms. Lawrence's 1st grade class -- the communication between teacher and parent was outstanding. We had a great experience at Oakridge -- the class instruction was excellent, the field trips were fun, the school functions were great. The before and after school care was great. I would recommend this school to anyone. We're sad that we move out of state.

Posted January 28, 2011

As a staff member at Oakridge, I couldn't be more pleased with all facets of the school. The administration is unbelievably supportive; I always feel heard and respected as a professional. Everyone at Oakridge works extremely hard--long hours and lots of planning and collaboration--you would be hard pressed to find a more committed group. Additionally, the teachers are highly skilled; their talents are endless. I have worked at a number of other schools, and the teachers at those schools can't compare to the teachers at Oakridge. The student population is diverse (although less so each year, which is admittedly disappointing), which is wonderful. A small group of parents is highly involved--the PTA has never turned down a request for support. All in all, Oakridge is a wonderful place to be!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 26, 2010

I am very happy with the school, staff and parent teacher relations. The teachers are very eager to get parents inpute. The PTA is one of the best I have ever seen. I know not all parents can help but I think if they could they would. The funds we have raised each year for the school are outstanding. The teachers make the extra effort to help each child. New teachers are learning from mentors how to deal with the different ways each child learns. The field trips are great and well worth the cost. Ton's of afterschool activities to choose from. Extended day right here at the school. My daughter scored well above grade level in all her end of grade test last year. I feel this was because she had a fantastic teacher. We love this school best ever attended.

Posted May 11, 2010

I'm very impressed by the professionalism of the staff and administration. We have moved a lot and attended many schools. Only a small, expensive private school has compared to this school in making us feel welcome, professionalism, safety, organization and communication. On all these counts, this school is remarkable. The school has an International theme which is lovely and true in that there is exceptional diversity here. Sadly, this school lacks any language options which would be appropriate for an International school. Nice clubs and field trips. The only disappointments we've experienced here are the shortcomings of Arlington County: a lack of quality opportunites for gifted children and the Investigations math curriculum. The only gifted services are pull-out enrichment which is completely insufficent for a child who is bright, curious and hardworking. They do the best they can with 'Investigations' but it has still caused regression in skills and confidence

Posted March 21, 2010

We have had a very positive experience here at Oakridge. Coming in the middle of the academic year, things were different from what we were accustomed to. After getting a better lay of the land by sitting down and talking with the teachers and the principal, my children and I have loved it here! The teachers and staff are very warm and caring, but no nonsense when you want them to be. I became very involved in the school and am impressed by the level of commitment shown by so many parents and community volunteers. The ONLY shortcoming that I see is the fact that there is a core group of folks who seem to volunteer for everything. Greater parental involvement would make things that much better.

Posted March 16, 2009

My boys attend Oakridge and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. My oldest son was struggling with his reading as soon as I said anything, they had him tested and had him working one on one with a reading teacher everyday! I love this school and my kids are so happy.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

95 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Male students70%

Students without disabilities78%
Limited English proficient students64%
Proficient in English82%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students70%

Students without disabilities88%
Limited English proficient students69%
Proficient in English88%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Spanish

Health & athletics

• Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school