Ashburn, VA

Posted November 08, 2013
Hillside is a wonderful and warm environment. Principal Mr. Brazina and Vice-Principal Mr. Dickersheid are dynamic and pro-active, trying to build team spirit from the get-go. My kindergartener looooves Mrs. Armstrong, who is an amazing teacher. Considering you have kids of all levels in kindergarten, I am so impressed with how she integrates everyone with care and concern while truly teaching them. After 8 weeks of school my 5 year old is starting to read words and can count by fives through 100! Really impressive, but the care she shows the students and the sense of belonging are what I like the best. The cohesive student body is diverse, including kids with food allergies, but everyone is included and part of the Hillside team. Highly recommend.

Posted September 10, 2013
Hillside Elementary is an excellent school. Both of my children absolutely love going to school each day. The staff is amazing and they always go the extra mile if you need any help. The front office staff is great as well and they will always answer any questions you may have. I highly recommend this school!

Posted September 10, 2013
I have had one of more children attending Hillside for the past ten years and can honestly give this outstanding Elementary school a 5 star rating. Our new principle and VP are excited and energetic. They are personable and involved and outside greeting the students and parents each morning and afternoon. Their attitude has added a huge influx of positivity from teachers and parents alike. I have without exception found the teachers to be caring, kind and competent. Many teachers and specialists have gone above and beyond their job descriptions to help my child who has some visual impairments. Parents are very involved in volunteering in the class rooms and for PTO activities. My children love attending Hillside and I love the spirit of cooperation and unity I see there!

Posted August 22, 2013
Very happy with the principle and vice-principle who started in the 2012-13 school year. That said, I'm sad to see there isn't more technology built into the learning systems and tools for the students and the teachers. A Promethean Board in the classroom does not make the school "tech savvy". Given that we live in the wealthiest county in the nation you'd think we could get more computers available. We are falling behind in the technology realm already. I'd be happy to be a part of a working group of parents to see how we make this happen.

Hillside Elementary School 1

Posted November 04, 2012
Had to put up with a old woman for last 3 years. It has been terrible. Just wish that front office staff Beth be gone. She is still trying to keep up with the old principle legacy by which a mean a unfriendly, rude, prison like environment. \Teachers are terrible there. Only by chance or luck if your child get one decent average teacher out of the batch in each grade. PE teachers and Cafeteria staff all rude. Too much bullying among the kids. No control over them. I think its because of too much trashy parents not disciplining there children at home and the kids end up behaving that way. If you have a choice don't put your child here. My son suffered for 3 years. Also, teach minimal expect parents to full time tutor them. I will give this school poor poor rating.

Posted August 19, 2011
My son went to Hill Side for one year in 2009 school year as his zoned school was full and could not take any more 4th graders. He ran into several bullying issues based on his race (Asian Indian) and customs. When he stepped up (he is a big boy and play nose tackle in Football) he was punished and labeled as insubordinate by principal and the kid who was responsible for this was let go. We were very worried and did some research..We found that hill side school is in "not so" diversified part of the Ashburn community with predominant number of students are from white community. This lead to tolerance and acceptance issues stemming from principal/vice principal. Our son was back to original school (Legacy elementary) for lone year for 5th grade and had no issues. He was happy, Straight A student and moving on to middle school this year. We are glad we did not got zoned under this school where we would have left with no choice.

Posted May 05, 2011
I agree, bullying is to be addressed strongly. The bully writing an apology to the bullied is a first right step, I wish all the public schools insisted on uniforms then we would not have this peer pressure about being "dressed in fancy brand name" clothes for school. There would be uniformity among all.

Posted April 22, 2011
Fabulous school. Teachers are very caring and its amazing how much the kids learn while there. My daughter loves going to school.

Posted November 10, 2010
We have two kids ,they are in 3rd grade.we have very good experiance with staff teacher and the principal.Hill side is a good in all manners.love the teachers and their relation with parents and kids.we are moving out from this area i know my kids and myself will miss Hillside.

Hillside Elementary School 4

Posted September 29, 2010
We have been very pleased with the overall experience at Hillside. We're have maybe 10 teachers and one of the was disappointing. My only area for improvement is encourage increased usage of new technology. The teachers still send paper notes home to the parents in the students backpack. There should bea robust portal for parents and students that allow access to grades, attendance, assignments, profile info, etc. Overall, great job and great school. 4.5 stars.

Hillside Elementary School
43000 Ellzey Dr, Ashburn, VA  20148
Last modified Hillside Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillside Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top