Steuart W. Weller Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 791 students

Student diversity

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 28, 2014

Steuart Weller is a wonderful school, the administrative staff is very attentive the teachers are very loving and very good teaching! My daughter is going on her third year there. It is a highly recommended school.

Posted February 6, 2014

If the child has an IEP or has been identified as having learning and attention issues then they will focus on accommodations that may help the child. My child's general education teacher goes out of her way to provide different modes of learning. This helps, along with the fact that the resource teacher/special education teacher is in the general classroom to provide support during math or language arts,etc. They will help all students who need help and provide them more time to complete their work regardless of whether they have an IEP or not. Children formally identified as having difficulties get additional services such as reading support in the resource room. As well as other subjects, as needed and if requested. The problem is that the school does not recognize some of the specific learning disabilities such as Dyslexia. So they are not currently providing an OG reading curriculum. They don't seem to know nor do they employ methods of teaching deemed best for dyslexics, for example. There are no special programs to address those types of differences. It would help all children if the school recognized these learning issues and dealt with them directly.

Posted December 21, 2013

My child has been attending SWE for two years. I am very happy with this school, but of course I am very involved in my child's education. I volunteer weekly, sometimes daily. I see exactly how the school operates, the resources the school uses, and the way teachers teach and interact with students and parents. There is as much parent involvement as parents want; the school encourages it! All the staff is friendly; even the head janitor always wears a smile and is much-loved by the students! My child has been blessed with wonderful teachers, and I, as a new sub and a volunteer, have come into contact with many wonderful teachers. And the PAWS rule: it's posted in the hallways, the year begins with a pep rally that focuses on the rules, and the school sends out a monthly newsletter that also lets the parents know the rules. Maybe I'm biased because I'm actually IN the school seeing first-hand how hard the teachers work and how much they care. Maybe I've just been blessed with wonderful experiences so far. But I also believe you get out what you put in, and "in" is my job at this age! I respect them: they respect me. My child benefits.

Posted November 20, 2013

My daughter has been here for 2nd and 3rd grades. She likes the school and activities, but we are very disappointed with the staffs compared with the former school. We decided to move, and we are quite happy now. But, the bad consequence is my daughter's performance is much lower than her potential because she was not been encouraged to try best at Steuart W Weller. We are working on this issue now. The teachersd are lack of responsibility.

Posted November 7, 2013

This is our third year at Weller where I have a daughter attending. I wasn't too thrilled with kindergarten and the teacher she got but once she hit first grade it was wonderful! Her teacher was caring and found something great about every student in the class. Second grade is no different. Her teacher is strict but fun and caring. She likes going to school! After the rezoning last year there is much more parent involvement and the PTO is stronger, two things that were lacking the past couple years. Parent involvement makes a big difference! Not sure why SWE only rates a 5. Parent involvement before this year would have been 2 stars, now it's 5.

Posted October 9, 2013

My son began school this year and it seems like at excellent school. The teachers are very good and my son is learning a lot.

Posted January 11, 2013

Great school! The staff is very nice. The teachers work hard with their students. Our children love it!

Posted January 11, 2013

My kids love to go to school. The teachers are caring and very helpful. The staff is nice. Go Wild Cats!

Posted October 30, 2012

I can only guess why they have so many teachers leave each year, but it's a red flag. I have not been happy with the education my children have received here. There seems to be a real lacking of resources...packets and worksheets are the norm. From my perspective, the preparation for the online SOL testing was minimal, and the scores from Weller ES were terrible. Not very pleased at all with this school. And to the previous poster, I asked both of my children what the "PAWS rule" is and they both said, "I don't know what that is."

Posted October 24, 2012

How seller has a 5 out of 10 in ratings is way beyond me. We have been at seller since the doors opened. And I'm happy to say that we will be renowned for the up coming school year and I couldn't be more happier. Isaw something about no bullying hah my oldest who is now at farmwell now was bullied and nothing was ever done. You have children who can destroy school property and never get punished where is the accountability punish these kids. It shows other children that its ok to be bad not to mention that is takes away frim instruction time i have first hand witnessed this. Teachers teach to tests and god forbid they are thrown a curve ball. We have had a total between my Two kids from 2008 to present three good teachers and this year still remains to be seen I only gave one star because I had to pick at least one nut it deserves none in my book

Posted October 21, 2012

Wow. People who are writing the reviews that are pointless absolutely don't get it. Has your child told you the PAWS rule? Or Guidance class and Kelso's choices? There is absolutely no bullying and guess what? Theres a happy spirit everywhere in this school. And thats a fact. I love this school.

Posted October 12, 2012

Call it my child's bad luck, she has had one not so good teacher every other year. The school has way too many new teachers. Speaking to other parents from my neighborhood, many share the same view about the lack of quality teachers. Unfortunately, I have a younger one that will start going to elementary school starting next year.

Posted March 27, 2011

Not a very good school. Highly disappointed in the way the teachers are. Seems like they lack experience with children. They need a better understanding of a child's needs. My nephew's new school brought to my attention that he needed to be tested for ADD. SW Elementary response to his behavior was disappointing. They said he was a loud child, moves around alot, touches people and told his parents that they need to fix his behavior. The private school he attends now monitored him and noticed he sat still, was quiet, but had problems focusing. Bullying is not accepted and well taken care of in his new school.

Posted November 24, 2010

This is our second year going to this school after getting rezoned. Last year, we gave school some credit coz it was new and teachers were strugling. But this year, our daughter is in a higher grade and we are finding this school very disappoinnting. The teacher:student ratio is high (28 in our case). teacchers dont have time to check home work. our particular teacher do not send any notes back so there is no connection. We are seriously considering selling our home to move to a better school district or moving our child to private school.

Posted April 21, 2010

My daughter is attend this school. The teachers are very good, I can see my daughter get improve each year.

Posted April 17, 2010

We are in our second year of this school. My child is in 1st grade and has a disability. At the beginning, the school didn't seem to be able to accommodate my child due to what I feel was because it was in it's first year. Never the less, the staff were very willing to learn, help and accommodate my child. We have grown together and I am very happy with the school's effort. Everyone from the front office staff to the principal are very personable and always happy and smiling. It's a very welcoming feeling. My child is thriving and doing very well.

Posted December 1, 2009

I love this school! My daughters are very happy here!

Posted September 27, 2009

We have been at Steuart Weller for two years now. The first year was difficult because it was a brand new school. It just opened in 2008/2009 year and had all the problems associated with a new school. However, the second year has been great. The principal is opened to parent opinion and she has adapted changes that benefit the children. The teachers have challenged both my sons academically and pushed them to excel much farther than the school they attended before. Plus the school has been very accomodating to my son who has food allergies. Overall moving to this school has been a positive experience.

Posted April 19, 2009

After one semester at this school we realized that our child learned more in kindergarten at Mill run. Due to an unfortunate case of redistricting we were moved to Steuart Weller. The district did not provide for the minimal of activities and the teachers were over burdened and under supported by the staff. Even though Loudoun County is one of the top school districs in the country, we ended up having to pay tuition to send our child to private school.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

136 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

Students without disabilities92%
Limited English proficient students64%
Proficient in English92%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students78%

Students without disabilities92%
Limited English proficient students71%
Proficient in English89%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • No accreditation rating was reported for the 2008-2009 school year.
  • No accreditation rating was reported for the 2007-2008 school year.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

20700 Marblehead Drive