Creighton's Corner Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 1164 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted December 30, 2013

Love this school so far! This is our first year there! The principal is amazing! Very well seen and great with communication! Teachers seem great and there is strong sense of community within the school. I look forward to many more years there!

Posted October 2, 2013

We recently moved to the area and I had my reservations about Creighton's Corner based on the reviews I found online, but I have been very impressed with what I have seen. We have a 1st grader at the school and we couldn't be happier with her teacher, as well as the school staff. I haven't had a chance to meet the principal personally, but he is very visible whenever I've been on school grounds. Communication has been fantastic and it feels like parents are very much invested in their children's education.

Posted September 23, 2013

great school! Teachers my child had so far are very organized and enthusiastic. There are internationally dynamic students (a lot of West Asian) which is good for children, I think. Parents involvement seems good also.

Posted September 14, 2013

We are very happy with Creighton's Corner on many levels. The school has developed a strong sense of community, the teachers are exceptional, professional, and nurturing, and the parent involvement is very present. Our children are thriving here! We love that academics is first and foremost and balanced with a lot of fun community inspired events. This is a terrific school!

Posted September 8, 2013

All I can say is WOW!, WOW!, WOW! Our school has come so far in only one year of new leadership. Parents are visiting and volunteering, our PTA is more active than ever, and our teachers are just fantastic. Everyone is extremely positive and our school has such a wonderful spirit. We are looking forward to a great year!

Posted June 21, 2013

We moved to Ashburn from Fairfax County and heard mixed reviews on this school based on the previous administration. I couldn't be more pleased with my daughter's first grade experience. Mr. Knott is the new principal and is exceptional. The curriculum was challenging and I really saw my daughter grow this year. My only concern, and it isn't the school's fault, was the classroom size. But that's pretty typical for Loudoun County as they can't seem to keep up with the growth. Be assured if your child attends this school next fall that he/she will be getting an incredible educational experience.

Posted May 17, 2013

I believe there are lots of great teachers at this school unlike the last poster's comment about lazy teachers. Teaching is hard work. If anything, it is the efforts of select teachers that go above and beyond what is required that creates a perception that others may be lazy. Of course you will always have at least a few under performers anywhere you go. By definition, you can't have above average teachers without below average teachers. We've been here at CCE for 3 years and all 6 teachers have been great and this has been by far the best year so far!!! New administration is great!! We love this school!!

Posted May 16, 2013

The new administrator is wonderful! Believes in actually educating the kids and having transparency unlike the last administrator. There are a handful of great teachers but the rest need to stop being so lazy. The PTA did a great job this year. All events are well advertised and attended. Events are fun especially International Night, very inclusive of everyone. The school finally feels like a community , unlike in previous years. That was due to the crazy administrator. GREAT THINGS ARE HAPPENING AT CCE!! THIS IS A SCHOOL TO WATCH.

Posted March 15, 2013

I feel the changes that have happened this year have been awesome! I have to question the previous comment that stated that the new principal was nice, but didn't do much. I do wonder how much interaction this person has had with him. He is truly wonderful, and it is clear the KIDS are #1, not staff, and not administration. He's not afraid to go to bat for what he feels is best for the students at CCE, because not all students/schools can fit into this mold. There are lots of moving and interchanging parts. He is approachable, compassionate, and empathetic. He is empowering teachers to go above, do more, and he expects a team atmosphere. We are all on the same team, parents and staff - we all want they very best for our students, and for their learning experience to be fun and positive. He certainly fosters this at CCE. The classrooms are filled to max but the teachers have handled this the best they can. Kuddos to the staff, adminsitration, and parents for all working together this year to make CCE great!

Posted March 14, 2013

I've been here for four years. It's just ok for me. Principal is nice, but he doesn't really do much. It's mostly a parent run school, some parents are good at that and some not so much. Teachers are generally good, and left alone to do what feels right to them. It ends up feeling a little disorganized since there doesn't seem to be an official person "in charge" - lots of things are last minute, etc. So - just ok.

Posted January 21, 2013

It has been amazing to watch this Phoenix rise from the ashes. To go from the brunt of neighborhood jokes last year to a school teachers, parents, and students are proud of this year has been nothing short of miraculous. Teachers are working together, parents are volunteering, and there is an amazing sense of community in the building. The new principal is very humble and is very quick to give credit to the staff and students. I am so glad my students are Colts!

Posted September 16, 2012

Night and Day, that is how I would describe the difference between last year and this year. I don t think we would have kept our children enrolled if the Administration hadn t intervened. The new Principal has been a breath of fresh air. Walls have come down. Every time I walk in the school it feels more like a partnership, (i.e., teachers, parents, and staff), one big community, all working harmoniously for the common good of our precious children. Thank you to all the teachers at CCE this year. It has been an amazing first few weeks and my kids are excited for the rest of the school year! Go Colts!!!

Posted July 13, 2012

This school is OK so far, not bad and not great; But love to see new principal, hopefully that will bring lot of energy and involvement back. Can't wait till next year when they re-zone all schools. Now too far from my place but still had to go here.

Posted April 19, 2012

I have been a teacher at this school for two years and I love it. The school is diverse and there are lots of fun activities for students to engage in. I especially enjoy the yearly Veteran's Day assembly. Our principal, music teachers, and other staff do a beautiful job with this event every year. Creighton's Corner is a great school with caring staff and a very supportive administration. The principal manages the second largest elementary school in the county and she does an outstanding job. I feel lucky to work here and can only imagine how privileged I would be to send my own children to this school. If you have any doubts, check the lines that form at 4am full of parents wanting to enroll their children in this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 14, 2012

This is a FANTASTIC school!! We've been here since the school first opened. The teachers are energetic and everyone from the front offices to the cafeteria is so dedicated to making the school a great place for our kids to learn. My son needed extra attention due to food allergies and I always felt he was safe there and that he was well looked after.

Posted April 8, 2012

There is no doubt that this is one of the BEST schools around. The parents, teachers and administration are all interested in what is best for children. The teachers are fantastic, motivated, energetic and seem very happy to be at this school. I have found all of the teachers and admin to be very easy to contact, and are very supportive of families/children that have extra needs. My children have been here since the school opened and it has not lost the caring and academically challenging environment that was established the very first year. We love CCE!!!

Posted March 19, 2012

I love working here! I love my students, and I couldn't ask for a better group of parents than the ones I have this year. As for working in a "hostile environment" as one parent reviewer wrote, I don't feel that is the case at all. Our principal supports us as teachers and allows me the freedom to teach as I see fit. She trusts me as an educator to make good decisions for my class and my team. I love the diversity offered in this community and feel I have built solid and lasting relationships with my students in my class and the girls that I get to work with in Girls on the Run. I work with a team of dedicated teachers who want only the best for their students both academically and socially.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 7, 2012

The school just issued an apology to our PTA officers. I suppose this is a step in the right direction. I still have concerns specific to how situations with my children have been handled and I don t know how my trust in this school s leadership can be restored.

Posted March 1, 2012

I am not surprised by the negative comments posted below. The school leadership has been unresponsive to many of my concerns. My biggest bone to pick is that my child was recently in the principal's office due to some inappropriateness in the classroom. No, my child was not in trouble, rather a victim. My child came home confused and wondering if they were in trouble. I was never contacted by the school; no letter, no phone call. Nothing!

Posted February 29, 2012

We've been fairly happy with the teachers but I am not surprised by many of the comments below. Being an active parent in the classroom I have sensed the frustration my children's teachers have with school leadership. Why can't my child's teacher make a simple decision on an email to parents vs getting it approved by the principal. Our school needs a leader, not a micromanager.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

185 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

195 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

201 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

Students without disabilities97%
Limited English proficient students89%
Proficient in English97%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students75%

Students with disabilities59%
Limited English proficient students50%
Proficient in English85%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • No accreditation rating was reported for the 2008-2009 school year.
  • No accreditation rating was reported for the 2007-2008 school year.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

23171 Minerva Dr