Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted March 22, 2016
My daughter attended Jackson Via from 2011 until 2015, when she finished. Dr. Daniels is an excellent principal and knows all the children by name. That is true for almost all the teachers in the schools. They not only knew my children's name, they knew mine. This is a wonderful community-based school where you get to go to schools with your neighbors. Because of the interpersonal relationships, children at this school receive an excellent elementary education. I am more than satisfied for the way my daughter was prepare for upper elementary school.

Posted October 18, 2015
My son attended K-4 at Jackson Via, it was a great experience. The administration and staff were all wonderful and caring. Not sure why this school isn't rated higher but its one of Charlottesville best kept secrets.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted October 18, 2015
Thanks to all the administration, staff, the principal, Quest teacher, and after-school program. Great job!

Posted February 07, 2015
Our experience at Jackson Via has been very positive: our daughter loves school and she loves learning. In addition to academics, JV puts great emphasis on reading, arts, music, physical education, and overall health. The atmosphere at school is very friendly and inclusive and we've been very happy with teachers, they are extremely professional and devoted to children.

Posted February 05, 2015
Our experience after two years, sending our daughter to 1st and 2d grade, is that Jackson-Via is *fabulous*. We moved from a different elementary district in C-ville; that school has a better reputation and we thought it was quite good for our son (who attended K-4). However, we have found Jackson-Via to be even better, despite it not having as good a reputation. The administration is talented and dedicated; the teachers are loving, dedicated, and rigorous. The school goes the extra mile for *all* the kids, from the excellent gifted program ("Qwest") our daughter is in to the after-school enrichment clubs and tutoring they do for kids who are struggling. The classes are small, the school feels like a "homey" community. What more could we want?

Posted July 31, 2008
We moved out of district after two years here (my son's kindergarten and first-grade years). I miss this school VERY much. The teachers were wonderful, Dr. MacKay and Mr. Allers were incredible, and as another parent pointed out, the art and music programs were first rate. My son loved before and after school care. We miss you, Ms. Lee! My son is currently at a school that is rated much higher than this one and I am not at all happy with his experience here.

Posted July 11, 2008
As children, neither me nor my husband attended public school and we were skeptical of the quality of education our oldest would receive from a public institution. We have to admit that the Kindergarten year with Mrs Bryant and Ms. Williams has been wonderful and we were quite impressed. We were also pleased with the participation of the parents and most of the parents are truly involved. Dr McKay and Mr. Allers work very hard to provide a loving, nurturing environment for all of the children and are often seen dancing on the roof or wearing goofy hats to celebrate a Jackson-Via triumph. I would recommend this school to anyone, but especially new-comer's to the area, as we know too well how confusing these reviews can be.

Posted March 10, 2008
I could not have been happier with my son's experience at this school. I also disagree with the reviewer who felt the principal was out of touch: my experience has been that she is caring, intelligent, and fiercely devoted to the school and to her students. Art and music are excellent here, which is amazing given that so often children are not getting enough exposure to them in school any longer.

Posted May 25, 2006
This school was a wonderful experience for both of my girls. The teachers and administration do a great job. The highlight is an intor to orchestra class in the 4th grade.

Posted November 16, 2004
One of Charlottesville's best kept secrets. Two of my children have graduated from Jackson-Via and are doing quite well at city middle schools, and the youngest still attends. The staff is very caring. Class sizes are very small, allowing instruction to be personalized. The population is diverse both ethnically and economically, but the staff and families share the common goal of getting the best education for the students. There's a real sense of community.

508 Harris Rd, Charlottesville, VA  22903
Last modified Jackson-Via Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.