Bad
Good

Harrowgate Elementary School 4

Posted November 25, 2014
I was hesitant about my son attending this school (1st grade)! I have been extremely impressed with the level of professionalism. They are dedicated to ensuring that students have what they need in order to excel academically. They also put resources and services in place to benefit parents as well. My experience with my son's teacher has also been wonderful. The principal has a challenging task, however you can see and feel the real commitment that she has in seeing this school soar.

Posted June 06, 2014
We are a military family and we were in this school for four years. I have only good thing to say about this school. Like any other school I like some teacher mor than others. But they have an excellent title one program. And even better PreK. They never neglected any of my children even though my boys are in autism spectrom and ADHD.

Harrowgate Elementary School 3

Posted October 29, 2012
I a previous post I raved about how wonderful the school is, but now not so great. They have had turn over in adminstration with fabulous adminstrators promoted and new "green" adminstrators replacing them. The warm, welcoming feeling I used to get each time I visited the school has been replaced with a sense of dread everytime I visit the school. The teachers are awesome! They do a great job with the kids. My child has made tremendous strides and no doubt will continue to do so. I'm not so certain the ciriculum that they teach will really help them to get a future job. They no longer teach the children to read and write cursive so unless you teach your child at home, they will grow up not knowing how to sign their own names. It's sad that they focus their teaching to be able to pass a standardized test instead of real world issues. But with what is required to be taught, the teachers are doing a great job.

Posted August 01, 2011
I have been so pleased with my child's success at Harrowgate. The teachers are skilled and partner with parents to insure that each student is successful.

Posted May 24, 2011
My husband is in the military. We move every 3-4 years. My son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at 2 1/2 yrs old. When we moved here last year, I was concerned that he wouldn't get the same care and attention that he received in NC. I was so pleased when I talked to the Vice Principal. She was so caring and attentive to my concerns and my son's needs. A year ago, I was very worried and full of anxiety trying to find a fit for my son in VA. Not now. Today, my son is doing so wonderful. I thank you Harrowgate Elementary. Great Job.

Harrowgate Elementary School 3

Posted May 06, 2011
The school is great when it comes to your child learning above the level expected of them. I guess you can't ask for perfection in anything however; my children also attended South Hampton in Richmond and I experienced the best of both worlds! Unlike Harrowgate, the school was great academically and had a warming demeanor! Harrowgate doesn't have the family feel and I feel like they are very catering to families outside of the African American culture. It is more like a private school and the families that have stay at home moms and dads who can attend a majority of events get most of the praise. There are parents who are involved in their child's lives but schedules don't permit them to attend every single after school event but ensure that their child is loved and is academically successful do not receive enough support and credit. The atmosphere is as friendly and when there is kindness it seems forced. However, I van not take away from the academic environment, which is excellent! I can admit that there is order and there are incentives in place that encourage the students to push towards their fullest potential. Again, I guess you can't always have the best of both worlds.

Posted May 18, 2010
Harrowgate presents a wonderful learning atmosphere for our children. The staff and teachers are caring individuals who want each and every child to achieve their full potential. The leadership is outstanding, caring and fair. They have many outstanding programs from small reading groups, to family adventure night, to parent partners and programs that help familiarize parents with the school. Our PTA is also outstanding!

Posted June 03, 2009
I am proud to have my grandchild attend Harrowgate. Harrowgate has and outstanding staff of teachers and facilitator who are concern about our childrens developement. this could never happen without a great leader like our Principal Mrs.Woods and her staff and hats off to her supporting staff expecially Mrs. Sykes I am encurage to know that the effort put forth by the principal and her staff, we are headed for another outstanding year. We love Harrowgate. Last but not lease parents get involve!! Our PTA need your support.

Posted June 05, 2008
Excellent school with excellent staff and leaders! A very caring & loving environment for all students! I am a proud parent!

Harrowgate Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2008
My mother attended Harrowgate, I attended Harrowgate and not my daughter is attending Harrowgate. I have seen it grow and change over many years, and I can say that I have enjoyed it all. Mrs. Wood and Mrs. Sykes are good at leading the school through another successful year. PTA program encourages parents to get involved, which is wonderful, the children need all the support that they can get. I give Harrowgate two thumbs up for the great job.

Harrowgate Elementary School
15501 Harrowgate Rd, Chester, VA  23831
Last modified Harrowgate Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.