Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Jacobs Road Elementary School 1

Posted July 05, 2016
Teachers and staff do not respect parents or the children at all. I identified that my child had a reading disability I'm kindergarten but the school and teachers both ignored me. My child had brand new teachers in both kindergarten and first grades who were utterly useless. A problem wI think testing wasn't addressed until half of 2cd grade. Now they want to retain my child. I sent letters stating I would not consent and the principal never responded! They do not teach the current scientific methods the no child left behind requires. All the care about is SOLS. They deliberately set children up to fail and make them dislike school. They focus more on the child's social ability rather than educating them. A child with all A's and B's and a Dr in reading should not be retained. The principal stated they base moving the child up based on grades and social maturity. I don't ever remember being graded on whether or not I have friends or read aloud in class. ADHD children find this stressful and do not like to read aloud and usually lack the confidence in class. Especially when myou child's kindergarten teacher made them sit there with their heads down and be quiet while she played on her phone. Thence to put a child in those unsafe unsecure trailers is unacceptable. Especiallyou because they are busing other students in making it overcrowded. This school is lacking in everything. Not recommended at all.

Jacobs Road Elementary School 5

Posted May 24, 2016
Love the school and all staff. The administration addresses things quickly and the office staff is very helpful. Everyone is always very helpful. The PTA is very active and does many things and I love this.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 24, 2016
My son's teachers the past two years have been great and always willing to go above and beyond to help him out. There are so many people to thank overall. The office staff is always friendly and takes time to answer questions. I have had interactions with teachers other than my son's and they have all be great. The PTA is also very active at the school and does many things to help the students educationally and provides many fun events throughout the year for them.

Jacobs Road Elementary School 4

Posted September 03, 2015
My child is going into 1st grade. The good: The PTA is very active and does multiple events and fundraisers. They work hard to involve parents in school activities. The front office staff is always friendly but they do seem to have a lot on their shoulders. They are always very busy. We had very little dealings with the principal last year but did meet some with the vice principal. I was very happy with her and my child adores her. There are multiple play areas outside and a big field (normally for the softball season but it is also used for Field Day and P.E.). The P.E. Teacher always seems to be excited and happy to be there (and she taught some of the kids' parents). My child had a pretty big conflict with another child early in the year that the other child had instigated. Throughout the year while I volunteered in the classroom, I was happy to see the other child getting help for their issues rather than just punishment. The kindergarten classes went on three field trips last year and my child thoroughly enjoyed them. The not-so-good: I haven't been very happy with our bus driver. He frequently allowed my kindergartener to sit far in the back of the bus and when I asked my child why, there weren't seats in the front that were available. I would prefer it if the school taught a second language as this is the prime age for learning languages. I hardly ever heard about how my child was doing in resource classes. The school is overfilled. There are multiple tables in the hallways for ESOL or special education because there aren't enough classrooms. The kindergarten classes were the most full last year than any year prior. My child's class had 24 students and one frazzled teacher. I won't say this is the best school ever but I am satisfied with how they are performing.

Jacobs Road Elementary School 2

Posted August 12, 2015
My child was bullied at this school and the principal did not do anything about it. The next year the teacher yelled constantly and gave nothing but worksheets and 50 page SOL study packets. They didn't go on any field trips or do any special awards day recognition programs for students. I was just so disappointed by the experience at this school. My child was a straight A student before enrolling here and after moving her out of this school went right back to making straight As. The Principal was less than stellar and one of the teachers we experienced was disorganized, had poor classroom management and was generally negative towards the students. The school sent my child home on the bus when I followed protocol and sent a note indicating that I would be picking her up. The office staff was inattentive and unfriendly. Several times my mom picked my child up from school and was given a hard time, although she was on the pick up list. Once I called the school to make sure my child had stayed after for an after-school program and the secretary just told me that she didn't know and couldn't find out. It was ridiculous.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 12, 2015
Both my child's 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were brand new. The 2nd grade teacher had no data to show or discuss when I showed up for the first parent-teacher conference. The 3rd grade teacher yelled constantly, had poor classroom management, and gave way too many worksheets.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 12, 2015
Worksheets and SOL study booklets of 50+ pages, along with lots of online homework practice, plus studying for 3 tests per week. I felt like I was doing all of the work that the teacher should have been doing during the school day. We spent 3-4 hours per night on homework.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
My child came home and told me about classmates cursing and using bad language in the classroom and cafeteria. If administrators don't give consequences for these behaviors, then they are not teaching respect.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
My child was bullied and the principal did not issue a consequence; therefore, she is not role modeling compassion, caring, and empathy for the students.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 12, 2015
My child was bullied as a 2nd grader. I met with the principal regarding the incidences and no consequences were given. Not holding students accountable does not teach honesty, integrity, or fairness.

8800 Jacobs Rd., Chesterfield, VA  23832
Last modified Jacobs Road Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.