Dumfries, VA
After care: No

Posted April 02, 2015
I can't think of a better place to attend high school. I have been a part of the school community as a parent since the second year after the school opened. The faculty at the school is involved, caring and willing to help students as needed. Many staff members have moved to Virginia specifically to work at this school because of the school's reputation and ideals. The principal is a strong manager who listens to parents as appropriate but is sensible enough to make the best decisions for the entire school. School administrators have always been available to listen to and address my concerns. The curriculum is exactly what my family was seeking - strong college prep school where the true Catholic faith is a part of each class, every day. My first child to graduate was accepted at all three Virginia colleges to which she applied, with scholarship offers. My second child is graduating this year - he has been accepted to a military service academy, UVA and several other top colleges, most with offers of scholarships. My youngest child will be entering JPHS this fall - I look forward to the opportunity to be part of the school community for another four years.

Posted April 02, 2015
John Paul the Great has provided the perfect high school experience for our children. It provides a true college preporatory program to ensure its graduates have the tools to succeed at the university level. More importantly, it provides a culture where students are encouraged to grow in their faith and to understand right from wrong. Like any school, your child will get out of the school what they put into it. John Paul the Great has many athletic and extracurricular activities that have extremely high participation rates which fosters amazing school spirit. The universities that this year's seniors have been admitted to is incredible: multiple acceptances to military service academies, Princeton, UVA (over 8% of the class has been accepted there), William & Mary, Virginia Tech and many more. If you want a school that will prepare your child for college as well as give them the spiritual tools needed as they enter adulthood, then John Paul the Great should be at the top of your list.

Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School 1

Posted April 01, 2015
This school is such a joke! My children are almost being killed with the amount of stress and homework that is assigned just before the quarter ends. I know this is high school and that no one can really do anything about it, but come on! My children are almost ready to go insane! My favorite thing about these teachers is that they assign all of the major tests durning the last week of the quarter so that when the quarter closes and the kids get their grades and are dissatisfied with them the teacher says: "Sorry. There isn't anything I can do." This school is a real joke. The other Catholic high schools in the area have graduating classes with better or the same SAT scores and more military appointments and Ivy League school acceptances. I would strongly recommend going to another school.

Posted March 18, 2015
if you are looking for a cheerful, energetic, and safe environment for your teens to develop into adults with integrity who possess the emotional and academic intelligence to make the world a better place, then send them the St John Paul the Great. Two of our three children have thrived there. One is excelling in college because of JP the Great, the other is about to graduate and has been awarded a big scholarship for university. Can't wait to send the youngest next year. The demanding academic and moral foundation available to families at St John Paul the Great makes this not just the best school in the area but the nation!

Posted March 18, 2015
The school is everything we imagined! The curriculum is both challenging and conducive to helping the students succeed. Although it may be inconvenient to some, the school teaches the truth of our faith. The bioethics curriculum helps the students learn to think and apply their faith to the worldly views of others.

Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School 3

Posted February 20, 2015
The school is great with academics. Most teachers are nice and cooperative. My children have been really happy for the most part. I feel like my kids are receiving a quality education. The only problems with JP are these: 1. If your child wants an academic scholarship or a pride scholarship be very prepared for a rejection letter. You are more likely to get an academic scholarship if you got nothing wrong on the HSPT and your grades in middle school are no less than 100. As far as pride scholarships go, don't bother applying unless you participate in every sport and club and maintain a 4 point. Being one of eight kids and recieving financial aid is also very helpful in getting a scholarship. 2. Be extremely careful of what math class your child is in at JP. One teacher in particular is extremely rude to the kids. My kid is always telling me that this certain teacher is never nice to them and gives unreasonably hard tests. The same situation happened with my other children.

Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School 1

Posted January 05, 2015
This school is not a mainstream Catholic school. Our son attended and was required to take an "ethics" class in which the teacher railed against the Pope for recognizing evolution and the big bang. He endured lectures about homosexual sins and the "fact" that children of divorced parents are more likely to become criminals. They do not offer AP biology because to do so would required them to embrace ideas that are contrary to their world view. My other son attended another Catholic school and had a great experience. This school is very different and what they teach their students is an extreme rejection of science and mainstream catholic beliefs.

Posted January 05, 2015
The best school I ever attended! I was so sad that I had to move in 2014. If I could, would have made my freshman year last forever. It was great!

Posted November 21, 2013
Awesome high school !!! My 2 nieces going to this school (been 4 years so far) and they love the school so much. Very high standard of education and catholic curriculum. Would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 27, 2013
John Paul the Great Catholic High School in Dumfries is a real gem. Although is it only five years old, I believe JP is already the finest school in the area. The students are very motivated, loving, and learn the most important lessons in life--what it means to be part of a community. I have never met more professional and dedicated teachers anywhere. My older daughter just graduated last year and my son just started as a freshman. I can not say enough good things about the school strong academics, strong morals, excellent drama, music departments and strong academics. And not too expensive. You have to visit to believe it.

Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School
17700 Dominican Dr, Dumfries, VA  22304
Last modified Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top