Halley Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 735 students

Student diversity

Posted June 19, 2014

The GreatSchools Rating does not correctly reflect the academic level of this school. This school has special education classes which tends to bring down the overall standard test scores but, general classes do very well.

Posted November 26, 2013

I have a Kindergartner at Halley. His teacher, Ms. Cerami is amazing and the staffs have been very nice and helpful. My kid loves it there!

Posted October 15, 2013

This is an amazing school, my two kids studied there and we are so happy that they belonged to this school. Teachers, staff and all the organization is so good, it has been a very good experience having our kids there.

Posted May 31, 2013

Poor comminication from school, no attention from teachers. It's our second year and really disappointed so far. If you have that choice, consider going to one of AP schools in the area. The difference is huge in our experience.

Posted January 17, 2013

We love this school. Our children have attended Halley for more than two years now and we really think highly of the teachers, staff and students. The school has a fantastic PTO, a strong curriculum, friendly staff and plenty of opportunities for advanced academic study. We feel very lucky to have our children at this school.

Posted January 16, 2013

We moved here from Colorado Springs, I was disappointed with the school my kids attended there and it was rated a 7. What I have quickly learned is schools in this area are at a different level than the rest of the country. A 6 here has got to be a 9 back in CO. I love Halley! My daughter is being challenged and she has such an amazing third grade teacher that inspires her to be in the advanced classes. I have seen my daughter come home proud to be moved up into advanced math and Language Arts. I am impressed with how organized the school is and how parent friendly it is. My first grader loves school too and his teacher is very good. Very surprised this school rates a 6. I have yet to meet a parent unhappy with this school. They look at each child and place them accordingly. Whether they are advanced or not. Very happy.

Posted April 24, 2012

This is school is wonderful and has extremely high school spirit especially when considering surrounding schools. The school rating is a bit skewed if you compare against nearby schools such as Silverbrook elemetary. Halley's ratings for Math are extremely high, more so that surrounding schools, yet Reading is somewhat lower. This is due to the higher diversity and children whom speak more than one language. It is an extremely well rounded school and am extremely happy with it.

Posted July 18, 2011

My daughter attended Kindergarten at Halley during the 2010-2011 school year. We loved the school, the teachers and the family feel that the school has. I think the prinicipal is doing an excellent job and the teacher my daughter had in Kindergarten was terrific. We couldn't be more pleased.

Posted July 4, 2011

I am surprised theat this school does not have a higer rating. Two of my children attend this school and I could not be happier. They have been at the school about 3 years now. The teachers are great along with most of the staff. The counselor is questionable, seems to see things through rose colored glasses and the school nurse needs to review her policy about notifying parents of lice outbreaks. Other than that I am very pleased especially with the encouragement of parent envolvment. Great school!

Posted December 10, 2010

For a school that takes pride in having a Bully-Nots program, they are very hypocritical about bullying. My son went there for 2 years and it were the most brutal years of his life. For those 2 years, my son didn't have friends and was constantly bullied and labeled names by his peers. He was showing all the signs of being bullied but the staff chose to ignore those signs. When he talked to the counselor, they would always find a way to make my son look like the bad guy. The same was true when he would tell the teacher if someone was bullying him. The tables turned however when he started standing up for himself and they were labeling him as the instigator not the victim. Overall, if I knew he would have gone through all this, I would have payed extra money to be in another boundary.

Posted October 20, 2009

I love the small class rooms and the teachers truly love their jobs. We're a military family and move almost every year. It is always so dissapointing to move into a new school with disgruntled and grumpy teachers. There are true professionals at Halley who love their jobs!

Posted June 8, 2009

We have no words to describe how greatful we are for Halley School, programs for kids with special needs and the entire staff. Our son has speach delay issues and thank you to the great support provided the fairfax country programs for children with special needs and the wonderful work of Halley staff our son has make a such a progress and we are able to communicate with him. The first time my son called me Mom and I knew he really knew what the word meant, was one of the greatest moments of my life. Thank you Hallaey for the Wonderful work you do for all our kids and for us!

Posted May 27, 2009

There is no way I could ever put in writing how wonderful this school is. From Mrs. Funk to every teacher and specialist, the atmosphere is dynamic and exciting. Their counselors are god-sends, the teachers are a team and the kids love going to school. I have 2 students at Halley and we, as a family could not be happier!

Posted May 27, 2009

We absolutely love Halley! I have a kindergartner and a 1st grader and am so proud that we will be attending again next year.

Posted September 11, 2008

Everyone from Janet Funk to each teacher provides an environment that encourages learning, respect and high standards of performance. I feel blessed to have each of them in my child's life.

Posted July 22, 2008

I am surprised to see this school receive such a low rating. This will be our third year at Halley, and we could not be more pleased. Our son entered Halley in 3rd grade, and we hope that we will be in the area long enough for him to finish 6th. The teachers are outstanding, and the environment is very welcoming and friendly. There are many opportunities for parent involvement, and there is fantastic leadership in the administration. We can't wait for the open house 'advertisement' in August, in which the entire staff board school buses and drive around to meet students in the various neighborhoods Halley serves. We are looking forward to another great year at Halley!

Posted January 25, 2008

We just love Halley. Our son went there for 2 years and we had to move away. The school allows a lot of parent involvement - not just PTA, but parents can attend morning program and eat lunch with their children everyday! Beautiful, clean building too. Friendly teachers.

Posted August 23, 2007

My son has attended Halley for 3 years. We moved into the school during the middle of his Kindergarten year from overseas. The school administrators were fabulous about transitioning my son smoothly and easily. This school has fantastic leadership and teachers. The extra activities like the amazing Morning Program which originated here and is being spread to many other schools as well as a strong non bullying program makes this school just over and above. I know before I started being involved with this school they had lower test scores, but I know the school is doing great on tests now. Just a wonderful wonderful school with tons of parental involvement. I am very sad to be moving from the area and leaving the school behind.

Posted June 7, 2005

Halley Elementary is an extraordinary school, where the staff and parents work to ensure that all kids have an equal opportunity to succeed. When offered the option of changing schools, we declined without reservation, even though the new school would have been a gifted/talented opportunity for our child.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students64%

Students without disabilities82%
Limited English proficient students79%
Proficient in English75%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students68%

Students without disabilities86%
Limited English proficient students54%
Proficient in English79%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students without disabilitiesn/a
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in Englishn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8850 Cross Chase Circle