No rating

Fredericksburg Christian Lower School

Private | PK-5

Student diversity

Living in Fredericksburg

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $270,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted October 29, 2013

FCS fell below our expectation for a private school but do believe it is a good school, it just isn't for us. Our child attended 4 years before we opted to pull them - we exhausted all attempts to remedy concerns prior to removing them. Positives: Kind parents and children; FCS is a community and is welcoming of outsiders; teachers are caring and give 110% effort. Negatives: Strict model of behavioral expectation; very little positive encouragement, mostly punitive, reactive measures; teachers have limited resources; no guidance counselor. I encourage you to visit FCS (and other competing private schools in the area) before you form your own opinion. When you visit, ask, can I really see my child succeeding in this environment? Will my child be happy here? If the answer is yes, then FCS is for you. I encourage you to visit competing schools in the area (Fred Academy, Lighthouse) and do not be intimidated by their cost. Other schools have amazing financial aid packages. FCS offers very little in the way of aid. Our child now attends a competing school and we have NEVER been happier. We are grateful for the time spent at FCS but again, just wasn't for us.

Posted May 15, 2013

What a great school. Unlike many of our public schools today, this school has its priorities in order, God, Family, Country (community). The "extended family" atmosphere that the staff projects is true and genuine. The attention to focus and discipline is keen, and the academics are challenging and cutting edge. This school believes in excellence from top to bottom and at it's very core are Christ centered principles that engage young minds to live their relationship with Christ. It is a joy to see my child talk about Christ as a respected and loving friend just as easy as eating cake. What a way to build a foundation for your child in an environment for learning. The vision for this school is a welcomed one in a day an age where is seems "anything goes". Give your child the gift of Christian Education that extends beyond the church. An education that builds christian leaders and relationships that last for years to come.

Posted April 24, 2012

I am not sure what the first person is speaking of? I am a Middle School Basketball Coach at FCS and I do know a few things... 1. There are kids that are not Christian attending this school 2. Teenagers are always pushing their boundaries, at home, school, etc 3. FCS, as far as culture is concerned, is not perfect BUT, they do strive to be more Christlike I am sure that you addressed the situation, being a Christian, with the persons/people in which you had issues with-If not, try addressing the people in which you had issues with in order for them to address the problem OTHERWISE, they may never know that there is a problem.

Posted October 6, 2011

I went to FCS from Middle School to High School. I am extremely upset with the review I just read about this school. I have no idea what she is talking about. The school is wonderful, and the teachers are amazing. I have run into teachers from all different grades that still remember me and are genuinely happy to see me and interested in how my life is going. Of course in every school there are going to be children that misbehave, but I have never seen any inappropriate discipline. A school can only do so much for one child and it is the parents' main responsibility to discipline and train a child, but FCS's staff works very hard to help parents do so and provide any support the family may need. Biblical principles are present in every aspect of daily life in every class. The teachers are always willing to listen to a student and help them out with academic and personal problems. This is a great school. I met my now life long best friends and my husband at FCS.The biblical teachings are lessons I still use in my life and plan to pass on to my son and his siblings if we are blessed with more children in the future.

Posted July 5, 2006

I have been extremely disappointed in FCS Middle School. Being a Christian and a private school I expect certain things, such as accountability, supervision of students, practicing what we are teaching in the Bible, such as the Mathew 18 principle, etc. These things have been seriously lacking. There are extremely good teachers at FCS, but there are also those who are yelling and humiliating students in front of others, showing favoritism, not being consistant with their discipline, not paying attention in their classrooms, etc. The bullying and cussing that goes on at FCS is out of control. Understandably, this age group is a hard age group, but we as a Christian school should be making sure that we are following Gods plan in how we handle all of these tough issues, especially because of this. If the teachers and staff are not modeling this, we cannot expect the students too!

• Rick Yost
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious