Herndon, VA

Mcnair Elementary School 2

Posted February 23, 2015
This school's main drawback is the count. too much crowded. Teacher student ratio is too bad. 30-35 students in the class. coming to my child's teacher, he is not at all organized and shows the least interest in making the class room interesting. doesn't even care keeping the class room clean and tidy. i dont receive the tuesday folder on a regular basis. the times i receive the folder, the stuff will be flying and the folder will be seperate. Teacher doesnt even care putting/directing the kids putting up the papers in the envelope.My child is receiving the same English homework since 3 months with different set of words but the same activity.He does not show any interest in Homework now. I am comparing the schools acedamics/staff/management with COATES elementary.that was far better in every aspect. I regret now why i made the decision to move to the area where mcnair falls. a suggestion to the parents is please dont go by this school rating. it is really deceiving.please dont plan on sending your precious child to this irresponsible school.

Mcnair Elementary School 4

Posted November 20, 2014
I am appalled at the very racist comments allowed on this page. Any reviews mentioning race should not be allowed to stay, Great Schools! I have had two children attend McNair. One is in high school now and one is still there. We moved to McNair after attending a private college prep school out of state and found that McNair was ahead of where they were at our old school. I have found the teachers to be responsive and inclusive and interested in working with parents and honest about any possible issues with behavior or schoolwork. I do not have experience with the new principal yet but was very pleased with the previous principal. I do agree that the office staff could be more friendly. I have not experienced outright rudeness but do not appreciate unfriendly staff in a school setting where children may be affected. The population of the school is very diverse. I appreciate this very much, seeing my children interact with people from all over the world.

Mcnair Elementary School 2

Posted September 24, 2014
Some teachers in Mcnair are bullies and exhibit favoritism. They pick on certain children for even small reason. When kids start kindergarten they are new to the whole process. Teachers should be supportive. I have heard of extremely good teachers like Ms Beach but then there are others makes you feel like you rather home school. Communication between teacher and students sucks big time. When child does something silly you get a call and then teacher says that they will work with you. But when you reach out to them they get agitated and you get a cold shoulder.

Mcnair Elementary School 3

Posted September 16, 2014
I have 2 kids at Mcnair, The kids have been happy and so are we in general. Just worried about the rise in the number of kids registering every year.. The school has total 1200+ kids which is way too much for the school to handle considering the space, teachers, facilities. Also there is too much of homework for upper elementary due to which they are not able to do much of any extra curricular activites as opposed to other good schools in the area. Already they do a lot of work during school and again pressurized with homework once they get back home. Too much competition among Indians specially and peer pressure.

Mcnair Elementary School 5

Posted September 15, 2014
I think this is a great school. I have read some mean-spirited comments. If you have personal problems, then contact the teacher/principal. This school is doing the right thing to address the needs of all students.

Posted September 10, 2014
Very disappointed. My daughter has not had but heartaches coming here. There is no personal care or treatment, principal assistant is nice but Mrs Gooden, the principal has been very harsh and mean towards us. It makes me wonder why she would want to work with people/kids. It appears to achieve good grades,but I believe school should be about a lot more than grades, my daughter has Been begging me to be homeschooled since she started. It is over crowded, you literally have to wait 40 minutes in line to collect,it's not covered so imagine when harsh weather starts,, the place where she is collected is wild and my daughter has been pushed around. Read the reviews on google as well, it is important to know your school because once you are in that neighborhood it's impossible to be accepted in another one
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 10, 2014
Great school Grades............ then Staff, and New Principal are rude, mean, they gossip, try to dictate everyone, they treat you like a kick on the curb. They raise their voice to you and child and look down to you at all costs. Read the reviews from here, Google and any site. My advise is to take head and go else where

Posted August 28, 2014
The registrar failed to contact my son's former school for his school records. They had me fill out a form with all the schools contact info and I signed it and they never sent it. They assigned my son to a classroom knowing nothing at all about him. I ended up being contacted by my son's former school asking where he was because they were never contacted for his school records and didn't believe we had enroll him somewhere else. This was a great deal of trouble for me that could've easily been avoided by the registrar doing her job. All she had to do was fax a form. Laziness at it's best. So if you transfer your kid to this school, do not have the false confidence that they will do a good job.

Mcnair Elementary School 3

Posted July 28, 2014
Great school, staff and PTA. However, I feel the homework load and project load is a lot, not required at elementary level. Too much pressure on the students.

Posted July 27, 2014
This school has a few teachers who show favoritism and are bullies themselves.They make false judgement about kids and have the guts to say it on a child's face. This encourages other students to make accusations and bully the targeted kid. They said to my child on several occasions that her parents are doing homework for her. Who gives them the right to fabricate such lies and thrust them on my child? She was humiliated and degraded several times. I can only imagine how that impacts the child's self esteem. Worst experience because of a few teachers who show favoritism, make false accusations and bullies students.

Mcnair Elementary School
2499 Thomas Jefferson Dr., Herndon, VA  20171
Last modified Mcnair Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mcnair Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top