Mclean High School 4

Posted May 02, 2014
I go there now & I have to say, it's okay. I haven't seen any bullying, people are always really nice to special ed kids, the classes range in difficulty based on reg., HNRS, and AP, and while I know some kids who are drinking & doing drugs, few are. My only complaints are the large class sizes and the short time periods between classes.

Posted April 02, 2014
Many students are immoral and have illegal habits. There is a fellowship of Christian athletes group so that is a place for moral students to find friendships. The teachers were good and educate the students well. It's not easy to join a team even if you are very talented because there are so many students trying out for sports. We took our child out of this school.

Posted December 31, 2013
McLean is a well-run school with great academics and extra-curricular opportunities for students. The pride that administrators, students and parents take in the school is obvious, and the new principal seems to have developed a good relationship with the community. The school also gets great support from the business community in downtown McLean as well.

Posted December 19, 2013
I am an Asian-American currently at Mclean High School. Contrary to what most are saying, it is the best! It's WAY better than Langley and we have top scores. Plus, our school teams are not that bad in some areas like football and track. Asians arent discriminated against. The only reason somebody may be unpopular is because they are either annoying or a bully themselves! Don't put some random stereotype on us that we allow bullying and that sort of nonsense. We don't. Once again, this is an amazing school.

Posted October 06, 2013
As a parent of a former MHS student, this school doesn't not deserve ANY stars. The teachers and the assistant principals mistreat kids who are not popular. And, bullying is tolerated. I worked on various volunteer programs and parent participation was dismal at best. If you are moving to the DC area DO NOT move to Fairfax County for the schools-- not worth it. Across the river in Montgomery county are the best schools in the nation: Winston Churchill HS, Wooten, BCC, Whitman, and Walter Johnson are the best. Bullying is not tolerated and the teacher are there to serve the students and parents, and not the other way around as is the case with McLean. Even people who can well afford to send their kids to private school don't because the quality of education is superior. I did have a teacher at MHS tell me that the parents were snobby and it was tough to break in to any group. I agree with the one student reviewer that MHS was the worst experience of their life. My child agrees. I took my child out. My only regret is that they spent ANY time at MHS.

Posted March 12, 2013
I was a former student at this school. It was the most miserable experience of my life. If you are a transfer student or come from a military family do not go here!!! They are not accommodating at all. You'll be forced to take standardized tests from classes you had already completed without helping you review. The teachers like to berate students and brag to other faculty about how many students they fail. I received no help from anyone and ended up slipping between the cracks.

Posted January 02, 2013
I'd just like to address the two one star reviews of the school- in my experience as a student, the counseling staff is well organized and has continued to improve my experience. I am very pleased with all of my teachers, and can do well in my classes with an appropriate amount of effort. As for drugs and alcohol, that is up to the student. The problem is not nearly as bad as some other schools in the immediate area, and there is a strong program about anti-drug and alcohol education. I don't think the reviewers have noticed just how amazing this school really is for a student serious about his or her education, and that this school is easily one of the best in the country by a large margin.

Posted June 20, 2011
I am an alumni of McLean High School, graduated in 2004. Teacher/Student Ratio - Classes ranged on average from 25-30 students per faculty member. Teachers were also very accessible during after school hours for students who needed additional tutoring/help. In addition to after hours help, there were lunch programs and study halls for continuing education. Class curriculam - A very demanding schedule of math, english, history, science, and foreign language were requirements. In addition, a vast offering of electives were given to students. I was able to take beginning business courses that layed a great foundation for me being a finance major in college. College Guidance - Due to the amount of students and lack of counselors, minimal time was given to each to student to research colleges, prepare applications, or select target schools. Most of the prementioned activities took place during my own time with my parents. Overall McLean High School provided me with an encouraging learning environment that fostered my academic development, and layed a great framework for my university studies and professional career.

Mclean High School 4

Posted June 07, 2011
My son used to try to talk to a consular about college application, she almost had no time for the kids. Maybe it was because the school could not pay overtime. The ESOL teachers we met in another public school paid a lot more attention to the students than those here. I do not know how the average american school is, so I am not sure relatively how many stars MLH deserve.

Posted June 06, 2011
My two children are recent graduates of McLean H.S. and they loved their experience. One will be a junior in college next year and says that MHS did a great job in preparing her academically. I also coach at the high school and the athletes are respectful,attentive and committed. My families 6+ years of experience with MHS has been absolutely wonderful.

Mclean High School
1633 Davidson Rd, Mclean, VA  22101
Last modified Mclean High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mclean High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top