Mclean, VA

Spring Hill Elementary School 2

Posted September 20, 2013
Given that good evaluation of the school,we have decided to move here. Negative: a. some students are very bossy and the teacher does not help at all, bully is happening in the school. b. Some sudents are either those who like to boast how rich they are or cry for attention when they don't get what they want. c. Teachers do not have enough time and energey to educate all kids. d. To make it even worse, all classes are completely mixed up after one year which makes it very difficult for the kids to make new friends, and the ridiculous part is that nobody has even been consulted before they mixed the children into different class. e. Bullying exist everywhere in the shcoold though the principle will always find an excuse for the bully! e. The teacher somehow always treats those who makes noise well whlie those who obey the rules were almost forgot by the teacher. Well, I have to say this shcool needs quite some efforts in becoming a dream one of 10 schores. f. I seriously think this schoold does not

Posted August 01, 2013
We are super excited that our twin girls will be starting Kinder Garden in September at Spring Hill. We moved to McLean so the girls could attend this school. We look forward to this journey and know it will be awesome! Thanks for the opportunity to comment. michelle

Posted May 29, 2013
I cannot say enough wonderful things about SHES. We transferred from another McLean school and I am blown away by the differences in the schools. The principal is a fantastic leader and as a result, the school has a great culture and the teachers are happy and stay there for years! Every parent I talk to raves about their child's teachers - without exception. My child's teacher is great about pushing kids ahead that are excelling so they don't get bored. Every time I have a question/concern, I have gotten a quick response. Character education is a focus for this school and it shows. Also, the PTO is very involved and provides incredible support to the staff.

Posted January 29, 2013
So far the school is good and my kids love it. Teachers are nice and competent. I would appreciate it if the school can expand its after school program to include French in the program as it is a very good language course for little ones especailly considering that it is the most beautiful language in the world. Another suggestion is to put students into different classes based on their ethernity to help them expand their horizon.

Posted January 27, 2013
This is a wonderful school. My children are appropriately challenged here. Teachers are amazing. The school PTA is great too. Glad we moved to the area.

Spring Hill Elementary School 2

Posted November 20, 2012
My child has attended Spring Hill since first grade. We moved to the area because of excellent school reputation. Our experience with School has been average. In second grade kids are tested and evaluated for Gifted and Talented program. Kids are then separated in third grade, one for GT program and the other for regular course of study. Approximately 50% of all third grade students are placed in GT, which seems a bit high. Parents frequently place huge pressure on school officials to retest their kids and place them in GT program. My kid has had about even distribution of good and bad teachers during the six years in Spring Hill. It appears as though resources are geared toward GT program.

Posted June 16, 2012
My child came here from another county below grade level. I just received his SOL tests results and he is advanced and more than one grade level ahead! Kudos to the teachers and the system. The county gives them the flexibility to make powerful changes to the core curriculum. It puts the power in the hands of the individual school and allows them to service children on different levels.

Posted April 20, 2012
I'm not sure from which school or county the child of the previous parent came but I will say that Fairfax County is one of the highest rated counties in this country so you could take your average child and test them against any private or public charter school from another county and the test scores would be not even compare. The SOL in Fairfax County are light years ahead of others. My son has always been in private in other counties and was ALWAYS above average but he tested slightly above grade level in Fairfax because their curriculum is far more advanced and demanding. This was definitely a good thing and now he's gotten used to the more demanding work schedule and is heading back to the advanced side of things. I credit that to great teachers and leadership in the entire school, from principal down to the admin staff. His class has 4 different groups to address different learning levels and she tests several times each quarter to move students according to their progress. Not to mention they have received the "Governor's Award" last year. They're even building an addition to the school to accommodate more students. Spring Hill is also culture-rich. Love it! Love it!

Spring Hill Elementary School 1

Posted December 04, 2011
I agree with the review dated January 2011 - this school does not do a great job with kids in regular classes! We moved in last year, and I couldn't put a finger on exactly what is missing...all I can say is if your kid is placed in regular classes especially in Math and Science, then tough luck! He or she will get "O" or "G" in his report card but then not really get challenged...it's meaningless! You just have to supplement or put him in another school!

Posted June 09, 2011
We have been nothing but thrilled with this school. We're military and moved here just last year. The teacher's are wonderful and my children have enjoyed the year.

Spring Hill Elementary School
8201 Lewinsville Rd, Mclean, VA  22102
Last modified Spring Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spring Hill Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top