Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

The teachers are a mixed bag. Some are excellent. Many are unsupportive. In one instance, I wrote to a teacher to ask how my child could do better in class. The teacher not only failed to reply, but used my message to humiliate my child in front of his class.

Amount of homework: no rating

I think that the answer strongly depends on whether a student has been identified as AAP Level 4. Level 4 students apparently receive huge amounts of homework. Other students seldom receive any meaningful assignments.

Develops character: Neutral

I don't have a strong view on the question. I think that the school does a decent job of discouraging bullying.

I do not think that the school serves non-AAP Level 4 students particularly well. The school does a good job through second grade (before the students are split into AAP Level 4 and non-AAP Level 4). Afterward, the quality of the non-AAP Level 4 instruction struck me as poor. I also found the teaching and administrative staff mixed; some teachers were excellent. Others were unsupportive, and some tended to believe that minor deviations of a child from the norm (e.g., not following instructions immediately or being somewhat disorganized) were bases for psychiatric referral.

My son just started kindergarten here after attending a Montessori preschool program the previous 2 years. As a parent I was concerned over the bigger classroom size and just the overall size of the school compared to the Montessori. But I didn't need to worry at all. The front office staff has been wonderful and very attentive if there have been any questions. My son has multiple allergies and the school has a very good nurse that we were able to meet with at the beginning of the year. My son is always excited to share what has happened and what he is learning in school each day. The teacher and her assistant are great at making sure each student gets needed attention. The PTO at the school is very active and there has been opportunities as a parent to get involved and volunteer. As I stated earlier I was concerned that my son would get lost in the crowd, but he has done great. He is learning so much and is always excited to share.

Given that good evaluation of the school,we have decided to move here. Negative: a. some students are very bossy and the teacher does not help at all, bully is happening in the school. b. Some sudents are either those who like to boast how rich they are or cry for attention when they don't get what they want. c. Teachers do not have enough time and energey to educate all kids. d. To make it even worse, all classes are completely mixed up after one year which makes it very difficult for the kids to make new friends, and the ridiculous part is that nobody has even been consulted before they mixed the children into different class. e. Bullying exist everywhere in the shcoold though the principle will always find an excuse for the bully! e. The teacher somehow always treats those who makes noise well whlie those who obey the rules were almost forgot by the teacher. Well, I have to say this shcool needs quite some efforts in becoming a dream one of 10 schores. f. I seriously think this schoold does not

We are super excited that our twin girls will be starting Kinder Garden in September at Spring Hill. We moved to McLean so the girls could attend this school. We look forward to this journey and know it will be awesome! Thanks for the opportunity to comment. michelle

I cannot say enough wonderful things about SHES. We transferred from another McLean school and I am blown away by the differences in the schools. The principal is a fantastic leader and as a result, the school has a great culture and the teachers are happy and stay there for years! Every parent I talk to raves about their child's teachers - without exception. My child's teacher is great about pushing kids ahead that are excelling so they don't get bored. Every time I have a question/concern, I have gotten a quick response. Character education is a focus for this school and it shows. Also, the PTO is very involved and provides incredible support to the staff.

So far the school is good and my kids love it. Teachers are nice and competent. I would appreciate it if the school can expand its after school program to include French in the program as it is a very good language course for little ones especailly considering that it is the most beautiful language in the world. Another suggestion is to put students into different classes based on their ethernity to help them expand their horizon.

This is a wonderful school. My children are appropriately challenged here. Teachers are amazing. The school PTA is great too. Glad we moved to the area.

Last modified Spring Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.