Norfolk, VA

Posted November 03, 2013
My son attends the Pre-K program and has excelled with great strides because of his teacher, the educational atmosphere, and most importantly: the school provides a parent-teacher relationship environment.

Granby Elementary School 3

Posted October 28, 2013
I think this is a great school, but some of the students I attended with did not know how to behave. I had a great time. There were many other kids who picked on me just for fun and 'cause I am smaller than them. If you are to send your cold here it is all luck and chance on what kind of kids they will attend with. I was bullied over my size and a kid I hung out with. Pictures that were put on my desk about the kid and his buddies killing me. Sometimes it was of them pushing me off a cliff or into a fire pitt. Do send your kids here but remember this, they have great teachers but sometimes the students are bad.

Granby Elementary School 4

Posted July 26, 2013
My children attended kindergarten and 3rd grade at Granby last year. The teachers did a great job encouraging the kids and working with them on special interests. My 3rd grader was in Drama club, Drum club, and newspaper club. She had many creative assignments and her teacher was sensitive to her special needs. The kindergarten teacher was also extremely kind and patient with my child. The principal and vice principal were always positive and kind. We had no problems with instruction being interrupted by discipline problems ... thank goodness, because it would probably have been my kids if they did. :) There were family activities all through the year that we attended with the kids - movies, zumba, reading fairs, parents lunches, etc. Overall, I was very pleased.

Posted May 03, 2010
I have 2 children in this school and it is wonderful. The staff and teachers really care about the students.

Granby Elementary School 4

Posted January 05, 2009
My children moved here this year and are doing very well in this school. I have a 1st and 5th grader here. I find the teachers to be caring and interested, and parent involvement is high. I am not a huge fan of the principal or assistant principal, and I think the PTA is lacking. Overall however I really like this school.

Posted December 04, 2008
This school was a huge disappointment. My daughter has some emotional problems, but is very bright. We were promised by the school counselor, the principal, the school psychologist, and social worker that our daughter would be able to get extra help through a therapy group at lunch, and nothing every happened. She went from getting A's at her previous school with high self esteem to failing math. All they did was study for the SOLs. The teachers meant well, but the behaviour problems of most of the other disadvantaged kids really affected the learning environment. There was very little creativity in the classroom, and no reading of great literature, just cramming for the tests. My daughter's self-esteem plummeted and the influence of the other kids was so bad that we pulled her out after nine weeks. Don't send your child here!

Posted April 22, 2008
Granby is a wonderful elementary school. My daughter has attended for two years. Both of her teachers have been fantastic teachers, as well as thoughtful, encouraging individuals. The school staff has also been wonderful and supportive. The music teacher prepares wonderful programs and even runs a 'drama club' for students who are interested in participating in extra shows. The art program is good, the speech therapist is good. In short, everyone I've had personal contact with has been very professional, and well prepared in their area of expertise! The PTA could use more parent involvement, but this is not the fault of the school. I believe the school does everything it can to facitilate parent involvement. I've been volunteering at the school once a week for two years and have been very happy.

Posted April 15, 2008
We hated Granby elementary.My daughter went to this school in 3rd and and part of 4th grade after moving from Ohio for the military.they always made us feel like outsiders and she could never seem to make their honor roll.When we moved to our current address she transferred to Oceanair for the end of 4th grade and it was a much better fit and from that point on she has been an honor student now finishing up 7th grade at Northside.Getting her otu of Granby elementary was the best thing we did.

Posted April 07, 2008
I have sent my son to school out of state because this school wanted to hold him back. He was tested and was able to attend the 6th grade. I was told that being in the military creates an unstable home environment and that if my son would have been a 'product' of the Norfolk city school system, I wouldn't be having a problem.

Granby Elementary School 0

Posted March 10, 2008
My child's teacher was excellent! However, there are alot of children who only have one parent at this school and it appeared to me that they were not really involved in their children's education. I don't blame anyone for being a single parent but let's face it, it can make a big different for many children and their behavior in the classroom. My daughter complained often of how discipline overtook opportunities to learn. Once again, it starts at home, you know? The PTA is well meaning but very unorganized. Many parents do want to volunteer but myself and a neighbor spent 3 weeks trying to get inside the school to volunteer before anyone from the PTA responded. I believe the school is turning around and may even be on its way to a top notch school, however, I wasn't willing to wait and moved my daughter to Larchmont.

Granby Elementary School
7101 Newport Ave, Norfolk, VA  23505
Last modified Granby Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Granby Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top