Portsmouth, VA

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 04, 2015
They are very involved. I ran into one at one of my sons baseball game. She came to support him and the other kids from the school. Very thoughtful.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted August 04, 2015
Kindergarten was a little heavy on the homework, but our son was struggling a bit too. 1st grade was reduced dramatically.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
Staff there is great about teaching the kids about how they may make another child feel.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
We have had ONE issue in the two years our oldest has been there. I reported the issue to the office at 9am, before 1030 I received a call from the counselor saying she had talked to the boys individually and together to resolve the issue. I love their quick and thorough response.

Posted August 04, 2015
Great teachers. Staff is always front and center where they see a need. I have a son in kindergarten and another son in second grade there. I know when they are there that they are safe and cared for.

Posted April 17, 2015
Great School!!!! My child transferred from private school, and it has been a great transition. The staff is great. This is one of the best schools in Portsmouth, not to mention that it is a newer school.

Posted January 26, 2012
My son goes to Olive Branch for preschool and we absolutely love it! His teacher is fantastic and the Principal is readily available to take phone calls, etc. My son is taking off at Olive Branch both academically and socially. I just wish they had Kindergarten too!!

Simonsdale Elementary School 1

Posted August 17, 2011
My daughter attended Olive Branch for kindergarten and first grade. I thought the school was terrible. It was extremely disorganized, the PTA had no idea how to properly use their funds. My daughter ended up with two teachers that were both very focused on the negatives of each child. They were not very encouraging either. The teachers would constantly point out my daughter's flaws to her in front of the classroom, making her feel ashamed of who she was. They tried "diagnosing" my child with ADHD whent they were the problem. Her first teacher punished her for "showing enthusiasm towards a topic they were about to discuss, in the form of a gasp" ( teacher's quote). I just really think the teacher didn't seem to enjoy children. Teaching was nothing but a job to her. I can go on forever about how horrible this school is. When I moved out of state and my daughter started a new school, I saw an immediate change in her. Her self esteem improved greatly and her academics had also improved even though her new school was much more advanced academically.

Posted August 27, 2010
Olive Branch is a public school that is a small high quality education similar to that of an elite private school. The teachers are wonderful and love to teach while the principal does everything she can to make the school run efficiently and be successful. The parents and PTA are 100% supportive and do what they can to ensure the success of the children. OBES works hard to reach all of the needs of all of the students. Our daughter attended private schools for pre-school and we have been delighted with OBES. We are extremely pleased after getting her SOL scores today and she pass/advanced all of them with two perfect scores in Reading and History. We have no complaints!

Posted April 24, 2010
The teachers are great and always available, if there is a problem. They are very supportive of their students. Mrs Bright, the principal , knows what is going on in the school at all times and is very approachable. My grandchild loves going to school there.

4841 Clifford Street, Portsmouth, VA  23701
Last modified Simonsdale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Simonsdale Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top