Bad
Good

Pocahontas Middle School 2

Posted January 16, 2015
I was so frustrated with this school, not once, but twice. My first son needed math remediation and I was told "they don't do tutoring". Okay...that would be a quirk of an individual teacher except that my second son, who has a 504, tanked English TWO WEEKS into the school year. He had a 33. This didn't make sense because he ended the previous school year with an 86. I contacted his English teacher and she said it was "an adjustment period". No, it's not, I'd call this a crisis. In my experiences my boys lost math skills and teachers didn't contact me proactively. I had to contact them for help (but they don't 'do' help after school hours) until SOL time period, then suddenly I got a flurry of emails about how they had doubts my boy would pass his test. I tried to tell them this would happen, but my thoughts as a parent fell on deaf ears, unfortunately, for my kid and for those teachers.

Pocahontas Middle School 3

Posted June 09, 2011
Math skills will be lost and not improved. Their SOL scores in Math are not that great. Some of the teachers do not post grades on Portal or assignments on the school website which is bad for parents who like to keep up with those things (like me). History teacher was great in 6th! Overall the school is good, but could use improvement in the areas previously mentioned.

Pocahontas Middle School 5

Posted February 05, 2007
I have a son in this school and I think it's a pretty good school. The teachers are open and willing to help the students and the parents and it's a very safe school. They also have lots of great programs for the kids.

Pocahontas Middle School 5

Posted January 05, 2007
I disagree with the other reviews in regard to the school's accomodations for students with special needs. I have a nephew, a niece, and a son in 3 of Powhatan's schools. They have all attended Powhatan schools since kindergarden. All three of them have been a part of special programs and have excelled. I can honestly say that with all of my nephew's special needs, I have seen the schools and individual teachers go above and beyond to meet all of his needs.

Pocahontas Middle School 4

Posted December 03, 2006
This school has been a big disappointment.I can recommend it only in contrast to most of the other public schools in the district.

Pocahontas Middle School
4290 Anderson Hwy., Powhatan, VA  23139
Last modified Pocahontas Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.